Author Topic: Mounting a Gopro to your inflatable  (Read 7916 times)

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Mounting a Gopro to your inflatable
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:05:56 AM »
While I was at the store going through the initial process of blowing up my board, learning everything about it, the pump etc., I asked the owner about mounting my Gopro or two on my board and he said that the usual pads and glue wouldn't be enough. I was kinda baffled and mentioned to him that I had a mount on my sea kayak that is still there and come to think of it I had one on my stand up jet ski that never failed me. He mentioned a special process which involved a glue or cement that would be best.

Maybe I'm missing something just due to the different material on an SUP inflatable compared to a polymer material on the sea kayak and fiberglass on the jet ski?

What do you guys and gals think?
Have you had issues?
Will the standard Gopro mounting adhesive work?

Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mounting a Gopro to your inflatable
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
The new Red Paddle Race boards now come equipped with built-in mounts that can be used for devices such as gps, go-pro, etc. That is a great feature that is a selling point for me. I'm waiting to see what the new 2018 Red Paddle Co. boards will offer.
On my current hardboards I use a suction mount by Ram and it often comes loose so not the greatest solution.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:17:42 AM »
the standard mounts assume the deck is rigid--they don't have enough area to be good on an inflatable. The best solution I've seen is to use the plastic base from the GoPro box (assuming they still pack them that way), round the corners a little and use part of a sheet of 3M 5952 VHB double stick to turn it into a wide base. With that much 5952 on it, it will never come off. The stuff is super handy to have around anyway. I bought three 8" by 12" sheets on ebay for less than 30 bucks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:31 AM »
I use a Go Pro mount for my Speed Coach and went to a suction cup mount. (https://www.brlsmounts.com/)

I haven't tried it on my new Red, but on my old one it works fine. I haven't used this board in a while so I just went down and checked. I have a Red logo on my board and I'm pretty sure that's where I put the suction cup mount. It is pretty well flat material. If you don't have anything like this, and have "dimples" in the fabric of your board, I don't think a suction cup mount would adhere.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:58:48 AM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
Older Red boards had a rubber logo that may work with a suction cup, these days, logos are printed on. I'd go with Pono's suggestion for a board that does not feature RAM mounts or Starmounts (FCS style plug on Some Starboards).
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »
If I can use the plastic base why wouldn't the standard bases with the adhesive they come with not work???
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 07:28:33 PM »
Standard bases are about two square inches, the package base is about 6" by 6" = 36 square inches. Given that the connection to the inflatable is going to be a little shaky and imperfect, the bigger area makes for a much stronger connection (18 times stronger) and more stable just because of the wider base. You might get away with a standard base, but I'd make sure you connect a lanyard to it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »
I suction cup plus dummy-cord it . The suction cup holds to the dimples ok  - any hit will knock it loose but us lakes and puddles guys are pretty easy on them.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »
That is really odd to me. I guess the material on an SUP must really be a different material and the guy at the shop was right. I'm going to go chat with him tomorrow and see what he has in mind. He did offer to set it all up for me so I think I'll take him up on that offer.

Pono, that ponohouse is sweeeet!!! Why oh why would you leave THAT for Oregon??? Damn!

Believe me, I LOVE the PNW!!!
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 10:09:37 PM »
Yeah, it's an amazing house in an amazing place, and we miss our friends there, but we love Hood River too. Living both places is the best of both worlds. Even if we sell the house we'll still spend most of the winter in Maui--but we want to be able to travel more.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
What kind of electric car are you using there?  (awesome place, by the way!)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 08:39:18 AM »
Chevy Volt. Perfect car for Maui, especially if you have a big-ass photovoltaic system.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »
I have just under 5000 miles on my new 2017 Volt Premier and we love it so far. Can run all electric for the vast majority of our local needs. But also don't have to worry about finding a place to charge if we take trips. Just got back from a 1000 mile trip up to Wallawa Lake towing a small aluminum trailer, two 14ft. standup boards, and 2 14ft. kayaks. Got an average of 37 mpg. If it turns out to be reliable it will be a great car while we wait for our Tesla Model 3 due at the end of next year.

piratetreasure

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
This guy seems to think it works okay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGIrRaCT5l0&t=9s

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 05:45:48 PM »
I literally just watched him last night!!
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal