Author Topic: How to end ride on wave?  (Read 15174 times)

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
Re: How to end ride on wave?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »
I'm a big fan of finishing the ride with a fixed cross bow - essentially a nose rudder. While you still have some speed cross over, plant the blade, then hold it.  Only plant 1-2" if you're cruising fast, deeper for slower speed. If done right, you'll spin around nearly 180 degrees or close. If not, finish turn with a sweep stroke on your standard side.

Like all cross bows, keep knees bent, hands loose on paddle and look where you're going (not straight ahead).  Spinning right, look right.  It'll help you turn easier. The move can be one easy flowing movement, all finesse and less work. 

Try this turning method on flat water. Get your speed up, cross over and plant and hold. 

Or Tail stall, etc..
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
I'm a big fan of finishing the ride with a fixed cross bow - essentially a nose rudder. While you still have some speed cross over, plant the blade, then hold it.  Only plant 1-2" if you're cruising fast, deeper for slower speed. If done right, you'll spin around nearly 180 degrees or close. If not, finish turn with a sweep stroke on your standard side.

Like all cross bows, keep knees bent, hands loose on paddle and look where you're going (not straight ahead).  Spinning right, look right.  It'll help you turn easier. The move can be one easy flowing movement, all finesse and less work. 

Try this turning method on flat water. Get your speed up, cross over and plant and hold. 

Or Tail stall, etc..

I am intrigued rob. Is there a video or something that you learned this from? I can't quite visualize it, but I want to try it.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »

Or Tail stall, etc..

I am intrigued rob. Is there a video or something that you learned this from? I can't quite visualize it, but I want to try it.

Its usually called a "cross nose draw". A quick google search finds a boatload of vids, here's a decent one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZONwp5dZplQ
Bunch of old shit

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 06:06:21 PM »
That's how you turn an unlimited board.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 02:07:51 AM »
It's even easier on a shortboard because you don't even have to lift the paddle. Just swing it right around the nose.

But I always pull out of the wave before it closes out. I shake my head when I see people riding the whitewater in and then paddling all the way back out. Why waste all that time and energy?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 07:30:39 AM »
I thought that was what you meant, I just had a lot of trouble visualizing it on a wave.

But as I think about it, I kind of - sort of - do it already. I do a back-wards stroke on the inside of my turn. But with that technique I find that I lose too much momentum. I will try doing it a bit earlier, and not back paddle, so as not to lose as much momentum.

thanks!
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 09:08:23 AM »
I thought that was what you meant, I just had a lot of trouble visualizing it on a wave.

But as I think about it, I kind of - sort of - do it already. I do a back-wards stroke on the inside of my turn. But with that technique I find that I lose too much momentum. I will try doing it a bit earlier, and not back paddle, so as not to lose as much momentum.

thanks!

Yes turning strokes done behind you tend to stop you while turning strokes done in front of you don't have nearly as much of a stopping effect. The cross-nose is a super aggressive turning stroke because of the torque stored in your body's core when you are in the correct position. In that cross-nose position you are also set up to easily get the blade back to the paddle side of the board and continue to turn with a forward sweep or dig in hard for an aggressive powerful forward stroke to move forward.
Bunch of old shit

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
One of my favorite moves (as executed by Danny Ching 7 years ago)

https://youtu.be/uxrpCODi1TM?t=145

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
But this is how I usually end up

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »
sorry bean, i will stick to the second dismount approach too

cool, tho the way you link the you tube to start where you want it to--didnt know that worked
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
Back dive closeout avoidance. Gotta work on paddle placement though..🤣
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
I agree, thats a useful feature EB.

For anyone who might not know, with the YouTube video running, advance to the spot you want to capture and choose the option:

"copy video url at current time"

Mr. Big, making a splash!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
Pressure in the boat. Dive! Dive!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin