Author Topic: How to end ride on wave?  (Read 15173 times)

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
How to end ride on wave?
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:09:48 PM »
If surfing a beach break and milking the wave all the way inside or not kicking out early and the wave has closed out, what are some preferred techniques for staying standing and getting the board turned around?  Sometimes the water is pretty shallow and stalling doesn't seem best, I also if I try to cut back into the whitewater and don't have enough speed I end up getting knocked off by the foam.
Is this just a bad spot too do anything or is there any advice for things to try?
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to end ride on wave?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:25:17 PM »
Once it's closed out, you can do a tail stall combined with a flat braced paddle blade extended out flat. I'll see if I have something on my GoPro that shows me doing it. Basically you'll feel a little drop in energy from the white water as you get closer to shore. I start to put weight way back on the tail, lay my paddle out off to my side, get in a lower stance, and put some weight on my paddle. It's kinda like putting a little peddle brakes on the board with the tail stall, and adding hand brake with the weighting of the paddle. The white water will just pass under you and you'll end up still kinda pointed towards the shore, but on a slightly turned angle towards your paddle. It's like a slow motion move. You have to slow your board down first. Once the wave has passed, you just do a pivot turn and paddle back out.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
As Gerry Lopez says..."no need to ride a wave to the end"

Good logic in that...
don't get caught inside
don't end up in shallow water

but we rarely listen... we just gotta squeeze out every last drop. :)

I don't see a lot of good things happening if you try to stay upright in shallow water.... it's an awkward place to be.

I never stall... it puts the fins at risk
Jumping into shallow water is a good way to break something.

I would rather do a very shallow turn, flick the board over the back and fall back flat, into the wave.

I put the board on a rail, keeping the fins up, away from the bottom and flick" the board as I fall back.

It is possible to do this in pretty shallow water if you do it right.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »
In the past 8 years or so I've been Sup surfing, I've been doing this move. Of the thousands of times I've done it, I've never hit my fin. If you know your break, the depth near shore and where the tides are, you can usually pull this off without getting wet. If it was a shore break, I'd be on my short board. I that situation I might do something similar to what Creek is showing. I usually do more of a pivot and drop on my board like I do prone surfing. The braking with a tail stall and paddle is a standard racing shore break finish technique. Your riding the white water straight towards the shore. Just before you hit the shore, you stick your tail and paddle and ride the deeper water on the back of the wave up to the shore. 

Here's a little video I just did. You can see me braking with the tail stall, and paddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-eqru959Bs
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:41:56 AM »
All of the above but I usually do a somersault over the back...... ::)

Sometimes the end is so smooth you feel like you know what you're doing. 7 or 8 years ago surfing in Wellfleet at the beachcomber there was a real nice bar that was sending long peeling waves into the cove...long, long ride on my old 12-6, (not old then). The wave closed and I did what talldude describes. Tail stall, back pressure with the paddle up onto the back of the wave, reached down and took of my leash as I rode the back into the beach....I walk forward and stepped off just as the nose touched........smoooooth. Whole bunch of folks watching including a few very cute women just in front of me. I was feeling good thinking how smooth it felt....turned to get my board and the next wave drove it sideways against my ankles and I fell face down in 3" of sandy wash and came up spitting sand and blowing water out my nostrils. My delusions of competence smashed I just laughed and asked if everyone enjoyed the show...... ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:57:07 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 06:46:09 AM »
If after the wave closes out I usually just wait until things calm down a little and bottom turn under the white water
into a kick out. I am usually standing and ready to paddle back out once over.

Normally on a closeout I am kicking out timely, or doing a rolly coaster and then the bottom turn kick out.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
Two ways work for me with my geezer balance. The second one sounds nutty because it's counter-intuitive, but it's sometimes easier.

1. Tail stall, let the wave overtake you, turn hard on the back of the wave. It's basically a racing pivot turn without the buoy. Practice in deep water until you can do it cleanly and then step forward and paddle off.

2. Nose stall. Do a little step back to slow the board, let the wave start to pass you, then cross step to towards the nose, lift the tail to release the fin, turn, step back. When I cross step I almost always step back first with my front foot to get the distance right anyway, and if you're trying for a noseride you need to slow the board a little anyway. So it's like going for a noseride only the wave is gone and you're turning. Sounds hard, but it's pretty easy. I stole this move from Zane who does it with as much effort as I use walking to the refrigerator.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »
I usually either stall and let the white water go under me or try to get a little speed and cut back into the whitewater to kick out. I usually like to milk small waves for everything they have as I actually enjoy the paddle back out over whitewater as a challenge.  In big stuff like last week's Gert Swell I'll usually kick out before the closeout (if possible). Today's dawn patrol waves were pretty small (knee-waist) but it was clean and peeling nicely and I managed to stay dry for about 12-15 waves (30min) before I fell in towards the end of a ride; a personal best as I usually try to see how long it takes for me to get my hair wet...  ;D
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 08:38:33 AM »
I either do a tail stall like Tall Dude explains or a full turn/kick out back over the white water so you are paddling back out again. 

If you know your break and you are not too shallow you can try some new moves while riding the white water.  It's good practice and if you fall you haven't blown a good wave.  Try some foam climbs, go switch, go backside etc.   
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
I'm working on "exit strategies" that focus on getting the board back over the wave so that I'm not relying on my leash (also working on my cross step and nose-riding).

Discussed recently here, but a really cool way to get out of a small wave with your board is the "Island Pull-out".  Step to the nose of your board, let the tail slide and pop out on the other side.  (I've had limited success with this myself, but after 40+ years, I'm still a beginner.)

jjdub

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »
Thanks Guys! Some excellent ideas. 
TallDude, thanks so much for the video and explanation!!  I'll be giving that a shot.
STC, that's usually what I end up doing, but I don't want to fall on stingray :D It sure does make for really nice shots though, especially of such a pretty board.
PB,  I've definitely trimmed up and noserode before and stalled out somehow.  I think that's exactly what you're describing and could be a great benefit to try and time it right.
Anon, If I had enough speed in a bottom turn, I think this makes a lot of sense as it's how I kick out if the wave hasn't closed out, or if I'm trying to get out quick right before a closeout.  But if I decide to go for the floater or finishing move and somehow not wipeout, I'd like to stay standing without riding the foam all the way in :D
8'10" Bic Wave Pro Carbon Tec - sold 😔
9'9" Imagine Fluid
8'5 infinity B-Line
FFB colapinto
Lift 250/50 surf foil

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
Bean--#2 is what I'd call a "chicken Island Turn", that is, I do a 180 like an island turn, but only after the wave is past. It's really pretty easy. I nailed the first one I did after only four or five practice tries--and then blew a few hundred before I got my second one. The trick is to start the turn on the back of the wave while the board still has a little forward motion, and finish it in the trough, when it's stopped dead. And then don't stand there celebrating, because you need to get back to the middle and start paddling. Actually I paddle as I'm stepping back which aids stability or at least gives me something else to think about other than falling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »

that's usually what I end up doing, but I don't want to fall on stingray :D

ok, that makes sense....nasty buggers to get hit by, especially in the back. Yikes!
Go with the other methods and stay dry  :)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »
One standard point of vigilance is to know the tide depths where you surf so you know the shallows and the times when they are actually shallow.  Don't go there when they are shallow.

The experts around where I go clearly only harvest the sweet fruit of the open face, and roll off to stay outside, preserving energy and sanity.  I still get some grommish pleasure from catching a foaming line of closeout white water, so I pay the price of getting caught in the soup, but I am getting better.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUPsideATX

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Bean--#2 is what I'd call a "chicken Island Turn", that is, I do a 180 like an island turn, but only after the wave is past. It's really pretty easy. I nailed the first one I did after only four or five practice tries--and then blew a few hundred before I got my second one. The trick is to start the turn on the back of the wave while the board still has a little forward motion, and finish it in the trough, when it's stopped dead. And then don't stand there celebrating, because you need to get back to the middle and start paddling. Actually I paddle as I'm stepping back which aids stability or at least gives me something else to think about other than falling.

This!
12'6"Laird/Bark
10'6" SUP ATX
10' SUP ATX
11'6" Surftech-Surftank Universal

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal