Author Topic: Sunova Vent Plug  (Read 27074 times)

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova Vent Plug
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »
Question to Creek and Tino, after this subject has been raised..

Should we be checking our vents on our Sunovas ???

Cheers.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
Hmmm. Rubber washer instead of an O-ring, not quite as reliable a seal with light pressure, but on the plus side, harder to screw up. Should work OK with a perfectly clean seat and a little grease though.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »
Good advise cleaning those plugs on a regular basis.

Not to sure this is a good idea,,,
You can grease the o-ring with a little silicon grease

It's best to avoid chemicals on o-rings unless you know what they are made of.

http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm#chem

Also not sure why you would want to seal the threads with glue, there is very little pressure passing through those plugs and unless you take your board underwater over 20 feet or so no water is getting by those threads.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »

Not to sure this is a good idea,,,
You can grease the o-ring with a little silicon grease

It's best to avoid chemicals on o-rings unless you know what they are made of.

http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/oring/oring_chemical.cfm#chem

Silicone grease is the most common recommended grease for O rings. It's what they sell at pool supply stores just for that purpose. I've used it for over twenty years on all my O rings, even the really thin ones in watches and have never seen one deteriorate.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:34:26 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

mosh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:48 AM »
I have 2 Sunovas and both vents will bubble when experiencing temperature changes from cool to warm.  I took them from the garage, put them in the sun and poured water on the vents.  The new one bubbles a bit more aggressively and I can only assume that the older one might have residue buildup which is mildly restricting the air flow.

One thing I've noticed about the Sunova vent plugs is that I've never seen them bubble. As a test, I just poured some water on both my boards and they didn't bubble at all.

8'10 Sunova Flow
9' Sunova Flash
10'3 PSH AA
10'6 PSH WAA

46 years old, 225lbs

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »
I just tried that as well, putting both boards in the sun with water on the vents letting the boards get good and hot and still no bubbles. Maybe I need to clean them. I've been surfing my two Flows for a year and a half.

I was actually thinking of replacing my vented plugs with the solid non-vented kind. I never leave the boards in the sun for very long and don't plan on flying with them so my boards probably don't even need vents.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:51:11 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supthecreek

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
Just talked to Tino... till he went through a tunnel and lost service  :)

SUNOVA OWNERS:
Tino said:

do NOT unscrew your vent plugs to check.
There have been less than 1% of vents with issues.

The vents are designed to be 100% maintenance free
Opening them may compromise the vent.

Tino has already had the factory ship mosh a replacement vent.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 11:49:47 AM »
I know about salt crystals. Last year when I took my Hammer down to the Texas coast, before I loaded up my Hammer for the return trip home, I always carry a few bottles of fresh water to pour on my two vent plugs to make sure there is no saltwater to evaporate and form salt crystals in the plugs.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 12:16:35 PM »
Thanks STC and Tino for confirmation...

Leave well alone then, cheers.

Happy surfing.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »
Wouldn't it be a good idea to at least make sure that the vent is screwed all the way in?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »
What? That's crazy. What is Mosh going to do with a replacement plug if he isn't going to pull it out and put the new one in? Did Tino understand that it isn't the plug that's a problem, just air getting past the threads? It's probably a little sanding dust on the seat keeping the rubber ring from sealing.

I do like the aluminum plugs. If you talk to Tino again ask him if they are 12mm X 1 like the plastic ones are.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:18:22 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »
If TINO is shipping MOSH a replacement why doesn't he self service aka use Silicone Grease and/or teflon tape. 

Nothing to lose at this point.  And you don't have to wait for the plug.

Then re-test.  If no bubbles, along the threads, you should be good to go.  Just chalk it up to an imperfect initial plug installation.

Keep the spare for future use.   

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
I'm going to guess at this....the advice is based on the fact that real Goretex plugs are easy to damage. Consumers can be kooks at times.

I tell all my customers, don't touch it!

The video doesn't really show what's going on in my view.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:37:37 PM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
DW, have you seen these aluminum ones before? I haven't, and I can't find any mention of them on the web. I like the looks of it. Easy to lose the cap on the plastic ones.

If you have a good sized screen, just pop the video up to full screen and look at about 7 o'clock right at the edge of the plug. Pretty clear once you do that. A little bubble coming up right from the threads between the aluminum plug and the housing. I don't think you'd ever see this with the plastic ones--the cap blocks the view.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:01:29 PM by PonoBill »

mosh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »
Hey Guys,

So this is what I have done. I'm not advocating people start pulling their plugs, but this seemed to have fixed the issue for me.  Using logic and some great advice from you guys, I decided to pull the plug and take a look.

Very carefully unscrewed the plug using an allen key and took a look at the rubber seal.  The plug was barely snug and took nothing to back out. (that there could have been part of problem)

The rubber seal did have some plastic looking particles or dust on it and it seemed to be pushed to one side slightly.  Pulled out rubber seal, cleaned off the dust and cleaned up shelf where the seal sits.  I hit the threads of the aluminum plug with a single wrap of teflon tape and reinstalled so that it was snug, but not overly tight.

I am now getting the occasional small bubbles from the center of the vent when I move the board into the hot sun, but nothing is coming up through the threads.  I did notice that if I tightened too much, the venting would stop and backing it off just a hair brought back the bubbles from the center of the vent.

At this point, I think my issue is solved and a big thanks to everyone who helped guide me in the right direction.

-Jason
8'10 Sunova Flow
9' Sunova Flash
10'3 PSH AA
10'6 PSH WAA

46 years old, 225lbs

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal