Author Topic: Sunova Vent Plug  (Read 27077 times)

mosh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sunova Vent Plug
« on: August 22, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
Just took delivery of my 2nd Sunova yesterday (8'10 Flow and bag) and had a question on the goretex vent plug.  The area around the vent plug had a few marks, so I decided to pour a little water on the plug to see what happened.  What I saw made me question if the plug is leaking around the threads?

I get that the vent plugs will bubble from the middle when the board is releasing air, but mine seems be leaking air at the side of the plug in addition to the middle of the vent.  Just curious if this is anything to worry about.  Is this air making it's way through the goretex or bypassing it somehow?

I'm heading out in a few days for a weeklong trip to Tofino, BC and was looking forward to testing out the new ride.

Here's a quick video that shows the issue. (not sure how to imbed video) Bottom left of plug, around 7 o'clock mark, you'll see the bubbles.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks guys!

https://youtu.be/KHrvx6xp6Tw
8'10 Sunova Flow
9' Sunova Flash
10'3 PSH AA
10'6 PSH WAA

46 years old, 225lbs

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunova Vent Plug
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 06:03:51 PM »
I would suggest emailing this video directly to Tino at Sunova to get his take on what you are seeing. He knows how they work and how they are installed, so he can clear up any questions. If you don't have his email, PM me or SupTheCreek and we can email Tino's email address to you.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

mosh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
Will do.  Thanks Nalu.
8'10 Sunova Flow
9' Sunova Flash
10'3 PSH AA
10'6 PSH WAA

46 years old, 225lbs

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »
You can unscrew the threaded insert gore plug, and see if it's seated right. Sometimes the threads get crossed or they just didn't get tightened initially. You can just re-install it, and then you'll know it's snug. It looks like it's doing it's job bubbling out the gas. Mine look just like that when there is water covering the vent.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:57:47 PM »
Like Tall Dude said, it looks like it's just doing it's job of releasing gas.

I didn't see any change in the water around the plug.
If the plug  was compromised the water would be seeping in.

Tino is traveling now, he will probably arrive at my house on Thursday so I will show him this, as I am no expert on the vents.

I  will attempt to forward the Youtube link to him now.

mosh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:37:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I dropped Tino a direct email as well to get his take on it.

I was totally expecting to see the board releasing from the center of the vent, as that is how they are supposed to work and my other Sunova does the same.  The odd thing I noticed was the tiny air bubbles coming up between the threads of the aluminum screw and plastic housing.  The video doesn't show it that well, but you can see separate air bubbles at the bottom coming up through the threads.  My other board doesn't do that.

I'm tempted to unscrew it and reseat the vent, but don't want to mess anything up on a brand new board.  I'll wait and see what Tino has to say.
8'10 Sunova Flow
9' Sunova Flash
10'3 PSH AA
10'6 PSH WAA

46 years old, 225lbs

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »
my guess without looking is that the oring in not sealing the plug, no water should go in while doing that test as the air is expanding however if you have used it at put it in the ocean that is cold this makes the air contract fast in the board and could draw in water

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:18:22 AM »
I just had a similar issue with one of my boards, not a sunova.  Turned out the body of the vent assembly had no epoxy down one side where it is glued into the board
so the board was venting up the side of it.   try to see if that's where the bubbles are coming from?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 03:33:37 AM »
Agree there is a side leak.  If it is threaded in (I don't know this plugs configuration)  use some petroleum jelly on thread or plumbers goop and retest.  If it's a permanent fixture sand that tiny bubble spot and hit it with a drop of epoxy. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »
Creek, if you pop the video up to full screen and look at the bottom left edge of the plug you'll see what Mosh is worried about. I haven't seen these aluminum plugs before, the Goretex vents in my boards use plastic plugs--these aluminum ones are cool, the plastic ones break too easily. It looks like you pull it out with an Allen wrench. I'd say it's definitely leaking from the threads, not from the outside of the housing. I'd take the thing out and inspect. If there is an O-ring then make sure it's not damaged and that the seat area is clean. You can grease the o-ring with a little silicon grease and you can add a few wraps of Teflon tape to the screw to seal better, I do that even on my plastic ones--any hardware store should have both. Don't use any epoxy, being able to remove the screw is handy for cleaning the Goretex.

Don't be nervous about pulling the plug, it's made to be removed. Good catch BTW, I don't think I would have noticed that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:29:39 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »
mosh, since better eyes than mine have looked at it, be safe and keep dry till we figure this out.

Where are you located? I have some spare vent systems with me on Cape Cod.
No reply from Tino yet, as I know he is in transit.

We will get back to you!

mosh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:45:15 AM »
Yeah, I was a little hesitant to unscrew the plug as I wasn't sure if they hit the threads with epoxy or glue during the manufacturing process and I'd have to deal with breaking it free.  If there are no issues with unthreading it, then I'll check the rubber seals and hit the threads with Telfon tape as suggested.  Has anyone removed these Sunova plugs before?  Maybe, I'll wait on Tino's direction as I don't want to mess up warranty, etc.

Creek .... I'm located in Vancouver, BC, Canada.  I leave Sunday morning for a 8 day surf trip and was hoping to bring the new board along, so shipping out a new plug might not make it in time.  Although, I will err on the side of safety and keep it dry until this is sorted.

The only reason I noticed this, is the first time I put some water on it, I could see bubbles coming up through the threads even when the middle of the plug wasn't venting.  I thought that was odd.

Appreciate the feedback and assistance guys, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:52:48 AM by mosh »
8'10 Sunova Flow
9' Sunova Flash
10'3 PSH AA
10'6 PSH WAA

46 years old, 225lbs

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »
No, there isn't any glue on the threads unless someone screwed up (doubtful). The Goretex gets mineral deposits from water evaporating that won't dissolve easily once they've dried, so it's a worthwhile preventive maintenance thing to pull them and soak them in Vinegar and water every year or so. Never touch or scrape the Goretex though. I pull mine fairly frequently when I'm fixing my inevitable dings to control the pressure in the board while the hotcoat is curing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
Here's what it looks like when you remove the plug.

I always remove the plug immediately after buying a new board to make sure it was installed correctly. Then I re-install it with some silicone grease on the threads and washer to give it a good seal, being careful not to get any grease on the membrane.

One thing I've noticed about the Sunova vent plugs is that I've never seen them bubble. As a test, I just poured some water on both my boards and they didn't bubble at all.

My plastic Jimmy Lewis vents bubble but not the Sunovas. The Sunova vents are much smaller with just a tiny hole for the air to pass through. Everyone should check their Sunovas right now to see if they bubble and report back. I think I remember reading somewhere that Sunova vents don't bubble a whole lot compared to other types of vents.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:39:00 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

mosh

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »
Badger, that picture is super helpful.  Gives me a good idea of what's going on in there.  Thanks!

Bill, good call on the preventative maintenance.  I've been a little slack in that area and may need to address my other boards to ensure all is good.

Here's what it looks like.

I always remove the plug immediately after buying a new board to make sure it was installed correctly. Then I re-install it with some silicone grease on the threads and washer to give it a good seal, being careful not to get any grease on the membrane.
8'10 Sunova Flow
9' Sunova Flash
10'3 PSH AA
10'6 PSH WAA

46 years old, 225lbs

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal