Author Topic: What my paddles weigh...  (Read 3716 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
What my paddles weigh...
« on: August 16, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »
Everyone talks about their paddles being so light, and think the one I'm using is relatively heavy. Here are all my paddles. How long, the square inch blade surface area and what they weigh.
My distance / racing KeNalu is 90" long with the X-tuff shaft and the long ergo T handle, it's at the maximum possible weight. LOVE IT.
The orange QB is 75" long for surfing and my red QB is 84" for cruising and surfing my all arounders. Both are 110's.
The Brawner is 80" and it's a 90.
The BruSurf beater and Riviera are both around 78" and are 90's.
The Werner Otter is a 78" 2-piece Carbon /glass/ Kevlar blend. Don't know the surface area. I'd guess 85/90 ish.
The Wavestorm is really just an adjustable length shovel. I kid you not. It's all beefy aluminum, and I could dig a ditch with it.

These are all in ounces.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:26:47 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What my paddles weigh...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »
At first I thought, wow, 432 grams for the W-storm, nice!

But at 43.2oz it's a beast...it couldn't possibly float?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »
If you want light look no farther than my ZRE 75 SQI.
since I took these pics I've shorthand it to 76" and changed the grip
to a smaller lighter one. Should be around 10.8oz
in progress...

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
A few months back, I bought a Naish Alana 75, two piece adjustable paddle and it weighs about 19.26 ounces. I haven't paddled with it yet since I'm not allowed to be on the water with my paddleboard, per my surgeon's advice, until Sept 1st.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »
I've taken apart and repaired a number of broken paddles blades and shafts. It's given me a good insight into how they are made. All the oval tube shafts I've repaired are paper thin. Two of them were major brands. I could actually squeeze and deform the tubes with my fingers. The oval has little impact strength. Conversely, the round shafts that are a little thicker are just bullet proof. So super light, usually means you have to care for it a little more. If you are going to race a ultra light CF road bike, you are not going to throw it around. So I think super light is great for racing, but not for surfing. As far as the blade weight, I don't have any comparisons. The blades I've repaired have all had high density foam cores with super thin layups. All were cheap CF paddles. 

Some insight from Jimmy...... and Robert from Blue Planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2qxqlr4FNA

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:05:53 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:15:01 AM »
@TallDude

That was a most interesting video you posted. Really enjoyed listening to Jim's and Robert's comments.

Thanks for sharing the video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:26:42 AM »
I've taken apart and repaired a number of broken paddles blades and shafts. It's given me a good insight into how they are made. All the oval tube shafts I've repaired are paper thin. Two of them were major brands. I could actually squeeze and deform the tubes with my fingers. The oval has little impact strength. Conversely, the round shafts that are a little thicker are just bullet proof. So super light, usually means you have to care for it a little more. If you are going to race a ultra light CF road bike, you are not going to throw it around. So I think super light is great for racing, but not for surfing. As far as the blade weight, I don't have any comparisons. The blades I've repaired have all had high density foam cores with super thin layups. All were cheap CF paddles. 

My Quickblade oval shaft though is as rugged as I've seen but not comfortable IMO. the ZRE
which is only oval is kind as you say paper thin, but only at the top and as an oval it does acts
like an egg, squeeze it form the sides and it's soft but where it really counts, front and back, it's
as strong as they come.

The thing I like about their shaft is that anything can be done per your request, and while I definitely
wouldn't take my race paddle to the surf or even open ocean downwind for that matter, for these
purposes I have the oval carbon/kevlar shaft, few ounces heavier but bulletproof at 15oz.
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
I don't see any evidence that the QB oval shafts are any thinner than any others, and they are thicker than some. And I sure hope they are OK for open ocean downwind because many (most?) of the top ocean athletes use them.

I have a Kialoa GL Surf paddle that has an oval shaft. It is built to withstand the apocalypse. Thick layup, very strong. So if the claim is that oval shafts are thin and weak, I think you'd need to specify which brand/model you are talking about because the ones I have are neither.

Personally I'd rather have a little extra weight and a stronger more durable paddle than a feather-weight I'm going to worry will break all the time.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
Have 5 paddles and they all are about a lb.  That feels good plus each has a slightly different center balance point.  All are stiff carbon but not overly stiff like the 100 Flex.  Stiffest is the oval BF Race -> the round Riv and SB are similar flex.  Kinda like the oval for grip but round for comfort.  Sizes are 67 upwind 83 distance 116 DW.  Use all 3 sizes a lot and really like the variety and different feel each has. 

None can be compressed and kinda like that these paddles are surprising strong and durable.  Not super light -> but def prefer durability over weight.  But anything over a pound feels like too much.  All are perfectly excellent high quality paddles.  SB Enduros we purchased new for a very reasonable $160 Cdn all in.  Others were used and were $200 Cdn and less.  Have tried many more expensive paddles -> but like these ones just fine.  As long as they do not snap am plenty happy.

Not sure how each brand measures sq in but in a pic they stack up like this.  Personally feel better with a light paddle and light board -> vs super light ones.  As well would not try to match up blade size with Travis or whoever as they have way more power and endurance and better technique etc.  Would downsize a lot.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »
My Black Project Surge cut to 68" comes in at 375 g (13.2 oz).  It has a 77 sqin blade.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »
I don't see any evidence that the QB oval shafts are any thinner than any others, and they are thicker than some.

Here is a little insight into QB R&D.  The testing crew says it all :)

http://www.quickbladepaddles.com/video/FAQ-Hi-Tech-Maui-on-Shafts

It's not overhead to me!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
I don't see any evidence that the QB oval shafts are any thinner than any others, and they are thicker than some.

Here is a little insight into QB R&D.  The testing crew says it all :)

http://www.quickbladepaddles.com/video/FAQ-Hi-Tech-Maui-on-Shafts
Actually, it was this one that impressed me more in terms of convincing me that they are really committed to producing a paddle fit for purpose:

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »
What Jimmy says about balance point and swing weight is spot on for me.  Upwind the little Enduro has that perfect swing weight he talks about -> and feels tons better than my other paddles for that.  Comparatively my big Vantage feels like a big sail upwind with all that extra area and higher balance point.

https://youtu.be/igitThlcG-E
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal