Author Topic: Looking for a good choice for a paddle  (Read 8147 times)

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Looking for a good choice for a paddle
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
I'm now looking for a good beginner paddle. One that I looked at is the Hala Grafik lock and load carbon shaft travel.
The second one is the the Hala Rival clamp and pin travel carbon shaft.

Both are less than 200 bucks. Both just over 1lb.

Suggestions or praise on these or others?
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for a good choice for a paddle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:29:10 PM »
I don't personally like those paddle designs. They are a sort of generic paddle blade that could be used in a canoe or something like that. Look at Blue Planets travel paddle or this one

http://www.liquidsurfandsail.com/carbon-25-hd-adj-3-piece/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp3889&sc_intid=3889&gclid=CjwKCAjwt8rMBRBOEiwA2F2biC7zj88ZyA_McrqMp-vBZczPVMt8D7u70czE7_FE3aAhcLUZbTEKYhoC2gEQAvD_BwE
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »
I wouldn't buy a paddle where I didn't know the area of the blade. It is so important to match blade size to your weight and paddle style. The Quickblade website has some suggestions as to blade size and length for different heights and weights that are a good starting place.

That price and weight are pretty good though. But best to buy if you can from a brand that knows a lot about SUP, and where you know the paddle has been designed by someone who uses their own product (a lot).

Talldude's suggestion is a good one.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
I forgot to mention that no ocean paddling for me. It's strictly lakes for now.

Thanks Talldude for that link!! They look like better choices.

One thing I noticed while at the shop was in the paddle decision making process. I was handed a paddle and after adjusting it to the proper height for me, there wasn't much overlap left in the shaft. Like maybe an inch at best. I got to the "stop" point and then sorta dropped it enough where that wasn't showing. Kinda thinking that's a hell of a weak point and a recipe for disaster.

Lastly, I'm 6'3" and 225.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:49:25 PM »
Your size is definitely relevant here. A friend of mine your size bought an extra-long 3-piece from a leading brand but they wouldn't warranty it normally because they said that at his height and weight they wouldn't recommend an adjustable. Something to consider...

DJ is a similar height to you I think, so he might also have some good suggestions. He likes the Kialoa Insanity paddles, I think.

Many people think that the choice of your paddle is more important to paddling pleasure than the board. So it is worth getting the best you can, and spending some time on research. All paddles are very definitely not the same.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:22 PM »
I'm not going to give my opinion.
The Quickblade website may have not been updated for awhile.  So, if  you go with a Quickblade paddle, give them a call.  They are very friendly and willing discuss size, length etc..

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 12:31:01 AM »
Your size is definitely relevant here. A friend of mine your size bought an extra-long 3-piece from a leading brand but they wouldn't warranty it normally because they said that at his height and weight they wouldn't recommend an adjustable. Something to consider...

DJ is a similar height to you I think, so he might also have some good suggestions. He likes the Kialoa Insanity paddles, I think.

Interesting...
Why would that make a difference?  The whole leverage thing?

Who's DJ?
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 12:33:05 AM »
I'm not going to give my opinion.

??

I thought the whole point of this was to give one.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 01:11:39 AM »

Interesting...
Why would that make a difference?  The whole leverage thing?

Who's DJ?
The longer the paddle shaft and the bigger the person, the more the padddle will likely flex. There is a point at which this goes beyond the design parameters. I think it is mostly assumed that adjustables will be used by beginners so it is unlikely to be an issue because they won't be cranking that hard on the paddle. But occasionally a really big powerful unit comes along and finds that the paddle flexes like a noodle in their hands.

Sorry, DJ is DavidJohn, one of the forum members. You could PM him. His opinion is worth listening to.

Good luck!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 02:04:20 AM »
I'm 6'4" and I love my Kialoa Insanity paddle.. They are high quality and very good value for money.. If you're after an adjustable paddle I think they are one of the best out there.. I have both the Carbon version and the fiberglass version.. The fiberglass version flexes more and is ok for shorter lengths for surfing but at my height and for flat water I prefer the carbon.. The cheapest option might be to get the carbon shaft and the fiberglass blade if that's possible .. It's nice to have no levers or spring pins on the shaft where your hands ofter get caught on them.. I prefer the small blade size even at my height and weight.. The blade being slightly flexible does not take any paddling performance away but is much more durable for rivers and lakes where hitting rocks is more possible.. Here's a vid showing them.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:08:25 AM by DavidJohn »

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 06:17:11 AM »
Well, so far I like both the Fanatic and the Kialoa.

Nice thing about the Fanatic is the protective strip around the edge of the blade. Couple of thoughts, first one being the adjustment system on the paddle and if there's any twisting issues. The second is if I really need to worry about the protection for the blade or if that's something I can add to any blade and the other thing is if I even need to worry about it at all ever really hitting the boat (which is really my concern since I'm learning the stroke and all).

The Kialoa is also a good contender since REI has them AND I have a 100.00 gift card for them! LOL. Only issue there is they only show it in the black blade option. At least in the carbon option. I'll call them today and see if they have other colors coming down the pipeline or not. I do like their adjustable system more. It seems more solid and no twisting concerns.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:20:43 AM by Windwarrior »
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »
...adjusting it to the proper height for me

Just FYI: When I started, I was told by multiple people to adjust the paddle based on reaching up and bending my hand over the handle.  The paddle was really long!  Since then, I've gone about 5" shorter than that and it works much better for me.  Not sure how they sized the paddle for you.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 07:15:58 AM »
...adjusting it to the proper height for me

Just FYI: When I started, I was told by multiple people to adjust the paddle based on reaching up and bending my hand over the handle.  The paddle was really long!  Since then, I've gone about 5" shorter than that and it works much better for me.  Not sure how they sized the paddle for you.

Yep! That's how I got sized. Elbow slightly bent.

With that, I'm on the last notch before the "stop here" mark. Leaves zero in the shaft for reinforcement.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
Do you have a preference among a two piece adjustable, a three piece travel, or a one piece fixed?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
Do you have a preference among a two piece adjustable, a three piece travel, or a one piece fixed?

Well, I'm a sea kayaker so this is all new to me. I will say that the two paddles I have are both 2 piece and both Werner Carbons. I've never had to replace either, they both still look brand new and were purchased back in 2005 ish? One is narrower than the other. One red paddle, one yellow. The red one is the narrow one,the yellow one is larger and usually my go to paddle for open waters and more power actually.

So, I'm debating whether or not in this case I'd like the 3 piece just so I can toss it in the bag with everything else or do a 2 or 1 piece.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:44:09 PM by Windwarrior »
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal