Author Topic: Hala Carbon Hoss!!! Wooohoooo!!!!  (Read 19269 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hala Carbon Hoss!!! Wooohoooo!!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
Cross bow is pretty much t6he most important turn to learn for flowing water, from lazy river to whitewater.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 10:41:22 PM »
I meant to say quick course corrections for a cross bow turn, not directions, and like PB said, it's likely the most important stroke to use on the river for turning.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 12:27:40 AM »
I found a lazy river on the backside of this pond!! I'm curious about something, when cruising down a river and you want to turn or help keep the board straight which side of the boat should the paddle be on to turn which way???

SUP you want to be ambidextrous. If you find yourself with a much better side use the other side more so you get better on your weaker side.

Also, since the fin is in the back you get far more steering effect up front. Rafts and canoes don’t have fins so steering is more done at the back.

Ships older than 300 years (canoe hulls) did have their steering paddle attached on one side. Always right side. The word Starboard comes from StœrBoard, StearBoard.  Those ships had to dock in port on their left side. Hence Port for the left side of the board.

But we’ve moved on from those techniques since 100’s of years.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
Pheeeewwww.....

Here I thought, lazy river, just hop in and drag paddle to turn left or right. Piece of cake right? Uhm, doesn't sound like it. Lol.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
back-paddle and drag on the inside of the turn - paddle forward (normal thrust) on the outside. Cross paddle applies too. Teeny/slow/twisty streams are fun but can require careful paddling the turns with your rudder fighting to keep you straight in the current. Paddling back down is easier. No rudder lets you spin easy - but of course sucks the rest of the time.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
back-paddle and drag on the inside of the turn - paddle forward (normal thrust) on the outside. Cross paddle applies too. Teeny/slow/twisty streams are fun but can require careful paddling the turns with your rudder fighting to keep you straight in the current. Paddling back down is easier. No rudder lets you spin easy - but of course sucks the rest of the time.

Definitely a teeny river!! I can walk almost all of it.My thoughts are to not use my middle rudder and just use the outer,shorter ones. Maybe even just get a shorter rudder and not use the outer ones? I dunno.

Which brings up another good question!! Do I really need ANY of the rudders on a LAKE?
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
Pheeeewwww.....

Here I thought, lazy river, just hop in and drag paddle to turn left or right. Piece of cake right? Uhm, doesn't sound like it. Lol.

Drag paddle left or right to turn works when you got speed ... with respect to the water. Like down a wave. On flats: no paddling, no water speed.

It works on a raft because you're just slipping the tail end of the raft left or right (I presume rafts steer like canoes and don't have fins).

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »
Which brings up another good question!! Do I really need ANY of the rudders on a LAKE?

try!

PS [edit to add]

I don't think any theory or physics class is better than you trying to see what it's like. Go ahead, do it.

I've lost my fin twice! You know what thay say! Never 2 without 3. Not looking forward to the next time!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:13:54 PM by yugi »

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »

You know what thay say! Never 2 without 3. Not looking forward to the next time!!

2 without 3??
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 10:27:45 PM »

You know what thay say! Never 2 without 3. Not looking forward to the next time!!

2 without 3??

I think it's a saying. Like bad things come in three.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »
Pretty sure he's referring to the fin count. Just trying to figure out why.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
Bad luck comes in 3's.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 04:17:42 PM »
He's saying bad things come in 3's (I think people from Europe talk in sayings a lot - old culture? a saying for every situation? I can barely understand my Italian Facebook friend with Google translate) and that he's not looking forward to #3, cause it SUCKS to paddle a lake without a fin. Unlike Kayaks the SUP's won't go straight worth a damn without a fin -:D Actually - I tried paddling a OLD-school (1975?) fiberglass river kayak on a lake once in the 80's  - it was about like my sup without a fin - pretty much sideways more than straight.

You might like the little side-bite fins well enough to try that - or hop off if it's shallow, remove the center fin for the creek, put it back on the way back?

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »

try!

I don't think any theory or physics class is better than you trying to see what it's like. Go ahead, do it.

Good point! That's exactly what I'm going to do. What better place to try than a lazy river? Not deep at all and it'll give me a better understanding of action/reaction on flowing water for sure. Heck, I'll probably have a great time seeing the results too. Going backwards,getting spun around and everything else.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2017, 02:25:50 AM »
a river may not be the easiest place to try

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal