Author Topic: Smallest waves that are possible to ride with a foil?  (Read 3276 times)

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Smallest waves that are possible to ride with a foil?
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:16:15 AM »
Any thoughts on the smallest waves that are possible to SUP foil on? I've seen the video of Austin Kalama foiling in flat water but  that's not exactly my skill level or will ever be.

I'm talking calf high light wind generated waves in the far East of the FL panhandle. There's no real currents here and the closest rideable waves start about 3hrs west towards Panama City. I've kite foiled these tiny waves here and there's definitely a slight push from them that I could feel.

Any videos of the smallest SUP foilable waves? Kite foiling has me riding in crazy light winds, wondering how crazy small one can get a foil to SUP-foil surf on?

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Smallest waves that are possible to ride with a foil?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
its more how steep the wave is than how high, i've had the maliko on a 7'9 SUP out in maybe knee high waves but there was a slight adverse current which was helping to stand them up and it was just about perfect, even >knee high wind chop is super easy to fly on

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 01:29:56 PM »
You need to ask supuk. I've seen him foiling on waves that longboarders couldn't catch at all.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
I think the problem with small waves is normally water depths and making sure you don't hit the bottom. The problem I find on the real small ones is generating the speed to get up and going, I don't have the pumping skills yet to get up on nothing so reply on the wave to have at least a small bit of a crumble just to give that first push.

this sort of size wave is about the minimum for a easy take off and ride for me at the moment.  I really want to try a maliko foil to see the difference the larger wing makes.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »
this sort of size wave is about the minimum for a easy take off and ride for me at the moment.  I really want to try a maliko foil to see the difference the larger wing makes.

;D  That wave pic is a HUGE, PERFECT wave compared to what I was thinking. If we had something like that here I probably wouldn't be asking. That kind of wave is 3hrs from me. Thanks!

Sam the Surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »
For what it's worth, I've been able to surf a smaller river wave on the foil and get it to fly. I needed a very large front wing that was 250 square inches along with a 80 square inch rear wing. Rivers are different in the sense that it is a standing wave but bigger standing waves can use smaller wings.

The set up I'm on is a CrazyFoil (two wings in the front and one in the rear) for the river.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:41:57 PM »
The problem I find on the real small ones is generating the speed to get up and going, I don't have the pumping skills yet to get up on nothing so reply on the wave to have at least a small bit of a crumble just to give that first push.

The Hintington Hop

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:27:54 AM »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 07:55:14 AM »
The problem I find on the real small ones is generating the speed to get up and going, I don't have the pumping skills yet to get up on nothing so reply on the wave to have at least a small bit of a crumble just to give that first push.

The Hintington Hop

I'm working on it

SURFFOILS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:51:19 AM »
It will be interesting to see how small a wave can be foiled.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:53:40 AM by SURFFOILS »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal