Author Topic: Happy hunting for Gert  (Read 6899 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Happy hunting for Gert
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:31:16 AM »
Well...it will be interesting....between the tide, pulse, and the wind

I think I usually am pretty good with picking wind windows, but the models make the Rhody Vs Home debate a big one for tomorrow with a few hours, and a few mph making or breakin

Just don't spend the day driving and wondering!

Carnage to be had ... glad to be out of the knee high category
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Happy hunting for Gert
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:40:29 AM »
I hear you.

Usually the months of August and September are pretty crappy for waves off the Texas coast because our usual high pressure dome of air sits on top of Texas suppressing the wind. Hot and very little wind.

This is why we look forward to depressions and tropical storm formations in the Gulf of Mexico. This past weekend, we had the remnants of Franklin, which hit the lower coast of Mexico, make some good waves all along the Texas coast. The surfers and paddleboarders had lots of good sized waves height wise to ride because the wind was up.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 06:15:05 AM »
Gert is looking good. I check the track constantly. I expect the swells to hit NH right around mid day. Winds will be light to moderate offshore. I have the day off so I'm going to get there early and just sit on the beach and wait.

We haven't had any decent waves for close to two months so I'm preparing to make the most of it.

I imagine the Cape will be fantastic.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:35:38 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:51 AM »
Looking like 1-2' OH and clean, at our Monmouth beaches in the morning.  Time to dust off my camera.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »
Yep - fingers crossed that we're looking pretty solid for tomorrow on Long Island. Taking the day off and will be out at Gilgo most of the day. We've had a pretty good run of small fun-sized surf with favorable winds over the last week but I'm looking forward to finally getting some size and pulling out my 8'4" Flow for the first time this Summer. I'll pull out the camera and my long lens - hopefully my wife will get a few shots of me as well. 

Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »
Sure...off most of last week with my bro here....and we had to work to find surf. This week...bro gone....work backlogged and crazy deadlines looming.....and it's going to be pumping. The curse is alive!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 06:59:32 AM »
Yesterday afternoon at Hatteras.

The Cape and points north will get their waves later today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqhU09P4RaE
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:16:25 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
Looking like 1-2' OH and clean, at our Monmouth beaches in the morning.  Time to dust off my camera.

Was really really good today in MOCO.   Not election day or hermine good....But sure it will rank in the top 5 for 2017.

Add in that it was in trunks....sunny and 80 degrees.... WIN!

Floridasup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
Badger,

Thanks for the video.  awesome and fast surf there for sure.  A friend is there SUP Surfing and he was blown away by size yesterday.  Today he said he was just blown out.  Wind was not right.

If he gets me some pics I'll post them.

I hope you all up north get some fantastic waves from GERT!!!!!! hoot hooot

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
Got the pleasure of Surfing GERT with Creek, Kayadogg and my daughter Ruby this morning in New England.

Really Cool.  I am sure SupTheCreek will post some more photos of the perfection.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:12:05 PM by Beasho »

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
Ruby was charging out there this morning! Very impressive.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
Ruby has been jones'ing to surf in CT.  She was taking off in up to 10ft faces in California and, to her credit and my delight, takes a beating and comes up smiling.  We were missing our West Coast Floatie Vests and I haven't swallowed so much water in years. 

Here were Kayadogg and Ruby during the warm-up session earlier in the week.

PS:  I have to give huge KUDOS to SupTheCreek.  We were texting the night before and I suggested he drive down from the Cape and meet somewhere in the middle.  The middle ended up being 2+ hours for him and 45 minutes for me.  He was there waiting with a 9' 1" Sunova Acid @ 6 am so that I didn't have to surf with my stock 12' Windsurfer.  The Sunova Acid was fantastic to surf.  Super skatey and it only took ~ 3 waves to figure it out.  I actually made the floater above. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:57:22 PM by Beasho »

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 05:45:03 PM »
Yeah, i bailed on the Cape due to wind and lack of rocks....got a little Rhody me-self   Pretty good size..hairy around 4 ....but fun for sure
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 12:09:39 AM »

The swells didn't arrive in NH until after sunset, so we missed out.   :(

The storm will be long gone by morning.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 05:57:18 AM »
We got the goods in Long Island yesterday. Got to Gilgo around low tide with a lot of folks shaking their heads as there were a lot of close outs. I spotted a left that could work and paddled out a short while later.  Proceeded to have one of my best sessions since Hermine. Steep, barreling overhead faces. Managed to pull into the green room a couple times and made it out clean on one of them generating hoots across the maybe 10pp out around me.  Felt pretty good to come back in and have both the lifeguards and some of the regular crew watching from shore say I "was killing it out there and was the only one putting on a show".

Had to deal with work and clients for a couple hours and then came back out at high tide and my wife got a few shots. Not nearly as big but then the rights started to work a little later.  Came home exhausted after 5 hours surfing over the duration. 

Really enjoyed my 8'4" Sunova Flow even though i was a little unstable on it having not ridden it for a while (for reference I'm 6'3", 200lbs). Had plenty of speed and was able to throw some strong backside cutbacks.
    « Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:59:25 AM by PabstSUP »
    Hobie Raw 8'11
    Sunova Flow 8'4"
    Sunova Speeed 8'10
    SIC Bullet 14' ASS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal