Author Topic: SUP brand ambassadors?  (Read 22149 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP brand ambassadors?
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
Area 10,

A good scientist (as you claim to be) check his facts over and over and keep questioning him self.
In the case of this thread it shows that you are ignorant to the facts as you would clearly know that
STC is not that kind of guy. The amount of people here from both side of the political map who speak
highly of him (many of them actually know or met him) is a clue.

Furthermore, one really have to wonder about you injecting this kind of unwarranted trash talk
in this venue, this kind of irrational behavior often implies some mental disorder, it could be just
a case of an extreme A** Hole syndrome but one never knows.

I usually try to stay away from these kind of threads but I wanted to throw my self into the mix
so hopefully I won't have to encounter this kind of litter in the future.

BTW, In this case you only managed to damage your reputation, at least for me.
in progress...

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2017, 08:16:17 AM »
So now I'm just asking you, have you ever owned a VW bug, or better yet, would you ever be caught dead in one?
Now that we know how you make your choices.
Ah, OK, thanks for that explanation. Well, the answer is that the two situations (buying a board pimped by an alt-right sympathiser or Trump fanboy, or buying a VW) are completely different. By buying a VW I would not knowingly be supporting the livelihood or goals of an alt-right leaning/Trump-supporting individual. But by buying a Sunova I would, it seems.

VW/Porsche didn't have a choice in creating the bug (or Beetle, as we call it). They were ordered to by someone named Adolf. So they aren't responsible for that. Nazism was as much a tragedy for Germany (indeed, perhaps even more so) as it was for the rest of the world. I don't know of any current connection between VW and the far right.

So, the situation where someone who is a Trump supporter recommends a board bears no relation to this. In this latter case, if you are of moderate political persuasion, you might well think "if this person's judgement is so out of whack that they could be an ardent Trump supporter, why would his opinion about boards be worth listening to?".

And this was my point - if you are promoting a brand, it is probably best to keep your opinions about contentious issues to yourself. Otherwise you risk harming the brand by association.

When I was approached to be a brand ambassador I read the fine print of the contract carefully. It did include a clause about avoiding unsportsmanlike behaviour, dissing other brands etc alongside the usual stuff about being willing to lend my board to others on the beach, not paddling or promoting other brands' boards, attending a certain number of events, keeping evidence of brand promotion on social media etc. And so I was wondering if the terms of other brand ambassadors' contracts included matters relating to not bringing the brand into disrepute.

I helped draft the contracts for some of the Naish riders over here this year and did include such details. However, we all acknowledged that such contracts aren't legally binding so it's really just a statement of intent from both sides so it is wise to choose your team paddlers carefully. That's why that (despite that i have an elitist mindset to competitive sport) that I wouldn't advocate just choosing fast paddlers to be team riders. They can cause the biggest problems and have the lowest volume of loyalty. It's also a small social circle so I did get referrals on most people I helped select this year.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2017, 09:14:29 AM »
and, by the way, it says a LOT about YOU.
pretty much from the get go.
Not to take you out of context but this thread seemed to pop up for a few days before I finally clicked on it, then was reading backwards for the first few posts.
What an entertaining place this is.
Yes, we would have much we agree on.
Yes.... it is tricky subject to make public pronouncements upon...
and yet you did.
Damage done....
Yep, but not on that guy up around Bahstun where dos naheastuhs blow.

Area 10, you are a smart guy. Way smart. I don't think anyone here could say otherwise (tho they may at this point). I have learned lots seeing your posts in all sorts of threads, and you have given me things to think about.
What a dumbshit tho. My word. Really?

supthecreek, you are one of the wisest people I have crossed paths with. (I'll call this place in both instances crossing paths.) Never met you but I have learned much from you where you have taught me to look at paths and choices and life a little different at times. I would more liken you to a Life Ambassador. Thanks.

probably not my place to say anything, but I wanted to and did and tho I could keep babbling......that's all.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
Its reading some of the personal attacks in this thread that again remind me that I feel that all formal brand affiliations should be shown in a posters signature for reasons of both candor and transparency.

"3. Endorsements
If you do endorse our services or publish any other content as an Ambassador, you should ensure that your role as an Ambassador is clearly disclosed."

Personal attacks and insults being hurled about is generally not the best marketing strategy.  Does hurt the brand for sure.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »

My S****a on top of my V*, so do I have it all wrong?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2017, 04:24:43 AM »
Just watch those fins (for the hatchback and passing heads). 

That board speaks for itself...very nice.

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2017, 06:21:55 AM »
@Bean, yes, you're right. Usually the board is upside down, or with fins in the front. I should be more careful if I want to become a brand ambassador

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
A few years back, I took my old Hobie Elite that has some serious delam issues and reshaped nose to the Dana Point Ocean Challenge. I parked right next to Hobie's son (who was an owner of the company). He looks at my Franken Hobie and says "why don't you just race one of our demos":) So I raced one of their demos. Instant ambassador.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
I'm having some delaminating issues with my Pau Hana. The Ricochet material is pretty tough, but the paint is very sensitive to sun. I'm not sure if it's not delaminating while I'm paddling. That'll be in my final review article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2017, 07:01:52 AM »
Many years ago when I worked for a firm
I had to remove a vote for DA sign who I supported from
my window.

The firm was worried about alienating certain brands of Americans.

I kind of understand what 10 is saying. But never would I want to
alienate a fellow zoner regardless of brand. I usually keep politics out of my
interviews as I like to get along with my brothers and sisters. Board purchase
decisions should be made on quality and design. I don't care who built it.

So maybe 10 is saying an ambassador should not get into
political discussion because it can hurt sales.
Those of you who have store fronts, did you support your candidate
with signs and posters? Would you put a candidates sign in your window?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
I don't think anyone misunderstands the point he is making. What some seem to be missing is his intent to attack creek. And seriously? We are so small minded and afraid to speak our mind. We have to vilify anyone with a differing opinion? You're a Nazi because you don't think like me? How small minded do you need to be to let someones discussion of politics drive a board purchase decision?

Maybe A10 shouldn't speak out and let his opinion be known because he's shown an incredible lack of logic and reason for a so called scientist, Anyone that can let politics color something so ridiculously mundane as a decision to buy a board can't be trusted to not let his politics color his research.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:01:21 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weeble

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2017, 09:00:39 AM »
If I really like the board, and the board is a good for me.... I strongly believe that not every board is good for everyone, and I ignore terms like "the fastest" board.  Yes, I know that every board has a top speed based on it's design, but that certainly doesn't mean that every person can get that board up to that maximum speed... anyway, unless the manufacturer is known for being a real POS, or a crook, etc.... then I'll ignore politics and get the board.  As far as a rep goes, as long as they can get me a board to demo, I'll get what I need from them and then get away from them if they aren't my cup of tea.  I'm a big fat, middle of the road democrat.  I don't agree with the far left stuff, and I don't support all the crazy stuff coming out of their mouths, especially the ones that are just trying to get notoriety.  I have a lot of friends that are republicans right in the same spot that I'm in on my side of the line.  Many of us paddle the same boards!  Keep the politics out of SUP, and do your best to keep the trash out of the waters you like to paddle in.  SUP is my one true escape!
Faster than some, slower than most....
2015 Boga Typhoon 14 x 25.5 Team Edition
2013 Laird Bark Race 14
2012 Fanatic Fly Race 12.6 (the white one)
2015 Fanatic Allwave 9.5/ 2013 Fanatic Allwave 9.10
Ke Nalu Konihi 95 on an Elite 90 Flex
Ke Nalu Molokai on an Xtuf
Maliko Blade that gets interchanged

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2017, 02:08:45 AM »
I have been an ambassador for a few brands. Once was an ambassador for KA sails and Quatro boards (both windsurfing) KA provided a very healthy discount on the sails and Quatro hardly anything. I organised about 25 events locally to me and used my sailing club as a base. For me to use my sailing club I had to provide 2 seasons of windsurfing tuition for the kids and youth, the club provided the gear.
The other events were organised at local beaches and other larger organised events.

I can tell you now, it's a bloody hard life lugging kit, rigging and providing free tuition to folks that just invariably ruin or don't care about the kit then leave it on the beach miles away for me to collect and De-rig.. then buy nothing.
Ok, I had a few sails sell but not many.. ended up with 5 sails hardly used and I donated them to my sailing club for the youth to use..

Then packed it all in.

IME ambassadors share the love of the product and are enthusiastic enough and optimistic enough to want to share the products, sell a few yes, but mainly do it because they love sharing.

Very few folks around who share anything.

So I support ambassadors, not always thier products, but for the commitment they have to thier products and sharing that with anyone...

And yes, I'm a Sunova fanboy... but I bought my boards because I love the ethos and products and stoke that they share.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »
VW isn't that the company who cheated and lied to pass EPA tests. Paid a big fine I heard.

The bug was born in Germany during a very dark period.

I think, and could be completely wrong, that the question was alluding to the dissonance between things we may like and purchase, and their origins which may not reflect our personal political, social, or religious views.

Aloha!

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

got you biggie--angels want to wear my red shoes--but maybe ray charles and james brown don't?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2017, 09:31:26 AM »
VW isn't that the company who cheated and lied to pass EPA tests. Paid a big fine I heard.

The bug was born in Germany during a very dark period.

I think, and could be completely wrong, that the question was alluding to the dissonance between things we may like and purchase, and their origins which may not reflect our personal political, social, or religious views.

Aloha!

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

got you biggie--angels want to wear my red shoes--but maybe ray charles and james brown don't?
Got you both~

Never said I was a stool pigeon
I never said I was a diplomat
Everybody is under suspicion
But you don't want to hear about that

'Cause you tease, and you flirt
And you shine all the buttons on your green shirt
You can please yourself but somebody's gonna get it
It takes a quiver to do that.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal