Author Topic: SUP brand ambassadors?  (Read 22028 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
SUP brand ambassadors?
« on: August 14, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
Hello,
This topic has come up today on a thread on a different subject.
I was curious to learn what this involves and experience from fellow paddlers in that regards.

This is what was on a Starboard website:
Who are Starboard Brand Ambassadors? They are unique individuals who show a passion for stand up paddleboarding and embody the Starboard tiki-life culture. They are active members of their local SUP communities who love the Starboard brand and can engage an audience on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. These ambassadors will be encouraged to participate in local “Tiki Tour” events and spread their passion and enthusiasm for the sport of stand up paddleboarding.

I have trouble making up my mind if being an ambassador involve spamming every SUP forums and FaceBook pages about greatness of the brand and regurgitate marketing materiel or if there was a more balanced and honest approach or if I am totally missing it altogether. I was approached once but did not even consider it at all. Now I am curious about this.

Thank you for your input.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP brand ambassadors?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »
I've been asked to be an ambassador for a major company, and I was for a few years. They would give me race boards to use sort of indefinitely. If I wanted to buy it, it was at about 1/2 the retail price. I could actually use any of their factory demo boards anytime I wanted. My problem is I'm picky. They would ask me what I liked about the board, and I would tell them what I think they need to change. I guess I'm not the ambassador type. Plus I prefer to make my own boards.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
Full disclosure - I am a brand ambassador for a kite company:

I'm of the opinion the good outweighs the bad. Yes, if you are a brand ambassador you are expected to write reviews/post pictures on various social media outlets, but you are also expected to provide demo equipment to fellow riders, be generally courteous on/off the water, etc. I think it's a good use of advertising funds, especially for smaller companies.

With regard to the discount, it's probably a wash, yes you do end up getting a pretty solid discount, but you are also expected to be on the newest gear season after season. So......you may get a discount, but you will be spending as much as you normally would swapping gear out annually.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »
Thanks guys. Super informative.
It does not seem that it is something for me.
I do enjoy paddling my way on my terms.
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:09:39 PM »
Good marketing, with generally good results. The worst part of the internet is that today a lot of lying goes on, aimed at the lower half of any bell curve you choose to draw. The best part is that it doesn't work at all with the upper half of the curve, and so ambassadors, with a legitimate passion for a brand perform a useful function. They tend to be a bit too fanboy and defensive, but that's obvious and doesn't really hurt anything. The best of the ambassadors are brutal about shortcomings and therefore have credibility when they heap praise. Unfortunately, a lot of companies want to bask in the light of unvarnished admiration and never understand that E squared = 0. Emphasize everything and you emphasize nothing. So they ditch the ambassadors that say "love the board but the deck pad sucks toads", failing to recognize the value of brutal honesty in an environment where everyone has a gold-plated bullshit detector.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 03:48:56 AM »
This is what was on a Starboard website:
Who are Starboard Brand Ambassadors? They are unique individuals who show a passion for stand up paddleboarding and embody the Starboard tiki-life culture. They are active members of their local SUP communities who love the Starboard brand and can engage an audience on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. These ambassadors will be encouraged to participate in local “Tiki Tour” events and spread their passion and enthusiasm for the sport of stand up paddleboarding.

Strange they only mention Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. I don't follow any of those.

They left out YouTube, Vimeo and most of all, forums.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:59:42 AM »
We have had our fare share of these in the uk however every if a friend starts on my fb page they get deleted or hiden, brutal maybe but who wants to hear repetitive bs 3 times or more a day. I know allso these people have actually turned a lot of people away from these brands and have said they would never buy products because of the brand pimps. So be prepared to loos friends lol

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:12:32 AM »
I've been doing a long series of SUP Examiner articles about that Pau Hana board I've been riding. I would definitely not call myself a brand ambassador. I got the board at a discount (30% off) in exchange for doing the articles. In exchange I did the series of articles. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm pimping the board or anything like that. I try to keep that writing separate from the hanging out I do here.

I hope my writing has been honest. I like this board, but it's not perfect. I don't want to come off like a Pau Hana cheerleader. I don't owe them anything except the articles, which I've mostly done. I've had fun testing the board out various conditions, and that's been my main motivation. I'm definitely not getting paid!

I might in the future get a free board from a manufacturer to review. I want to review it here, which I hope is fine, and I'll make clear how I got it.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 04:17:06 AM »
ultimately, we're all SUP brand ambassadors. if we like a board, we usually aren't quiet about it. if we don't, we usually are ("hey guys, i just wasted a boatload of money on a crappy board" isn't often heard though i felt i could've said that several times myself).

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:44:14 AM »
I was a Starboard ambassador back in 2008/2009. I gave it up because I didn't want there to be any confusion about why the CCBC exists. My passion for the sport was better focused growing the event and I didn't want anyone thinking I was doing it to sell more Starboards. I still liked (loved some) Starboards and was never pressured to not speak my mind but it simply felt limiting....my opinions aren't subject to censure by anyone...even myself sometimes.

I forgot about that when Bill and Lane started Ke Nalu....became a rep for awhile but again...it didn't feel right. I don't think I'll ever paddle anything but Ke Nalus...I'm a true fan...but I couldn't remain a rep because I felt it might color the opinion of others as to why the CCBC is so important to me. I also have great respect and admiration for Marc Angelilo the Kialoa rep and Kialoa and Marc have been CCBC supporters since 2009.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:46:16 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 05:53:31 AM »
I have been a brand ambassador for two brands over the years.  I was passionate about both brands and it was easy to be an ambassador at first, but in time all the events they wanted you to attend conflicted with my work schedue and personal life and I soon started dreading it and losing my enthusiasm for SUP.  Once that started I knew it was time to start paying for my boards and have my life back...

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 06:55:16 AM »
I will say for both brands that I'm ambassador for, I was a customer first, I liked their gear and how each company related to the sport before being approached regarding being an ambassador.

So, for me, it's been a pretty easy translation.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 06:59:36 AM »
getting  discount on a new carbon starboard is like paying full retail on 90% of the other brands out there........

Although they did some back to earth a 'little' on their surf sups this year lowering retail on the carbon models a few hundred bucks.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »
getting  discount on a new carbon starboard is like paying full retail on 90% of the other brands out there........

Although they did some back to earth a 'little' on their surf sups this year lowering retail on the carbon models a few hundred bucks.

I was most definitively not thinking about Starboard! This was just a description from them that I had found as a starting point.
That said they seem to provide huge discounts for the people associated with them. At least locally here in Vancouver.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:37:52 AM by Luc Benac »
Blackfish Paddles

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 07:35:39 AM »
Ambassador's.... hummm

You must be totally happy with the brand, because it could limit your personal growth, if they don't keep pace with YOUR needs.

Tricky to be sure, but I am glad stoked people are out there promoting and sharing their boards and experiences.... it may be the only way someone will have to try a brand.

Most relevant aspect of Ambassadors?
They are people that the average buyer can relate to.
Hearing their stoke is more useful to me, than brand advertising or Pro rider opinions.

I wanna know what other big, old dudes are riding
Others want to know what young ladies are riding
IMO: Ambassadors are effective and appreciated

Mascots, on the other hand........ ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal