Author Topic: Recommendations for ENT Surgeon in Boston (exostoses)  (Read 3940 times)

jsb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Recommendations for ENT Surgeon in Boston (exostoses)
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
Any recommendations for a good surgeon for exostoses (surfer’s ear) in the Boston area?

There’s a doc out in Santa Cruz who claims to have done over 2000 procedures.  He seems to get good results, wrt both complications and healing time.  With the number of surfers in New England — and the number of teaching hospitals in Boston — you’d think there’d be a similar guru in Boston, but so far I haven’t found him/her.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Recommendations for ENT Surgeon in Boston (exostoses)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
Dr Michael Mckenna at MEEI. I know he's done a bunch...has fixed up a friend of mine with exostoses. Did brain surgery on me and it's still there so he's got some cred.... ;). If you see him tell him I said hello. If you mention standup he'll know who you're talking about. He scheduled my surgery so I could paddle the CCBC that year. Crazy talent and intellect and the most caring and thoughtful Doc I've ever known. He was also recommended by someone else on here in an old surfer's ear thread years ago.

I believe he's still there though he is getting close to retiring. MEEI is the place to go regardless. World class talent throughout.

edit...just checked...he's still there..http://www.masseyeandear.org/find-a-physician/m/mckenna-michael
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:16:29 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jsb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:21:11 AM »
Thanks, Stoneaxe -- that's super helpful!

I agree that MEE seems like the go-to resource in Boston, but I'm having trouble figuring out which specific docs at MEE specialize in this specific condition.  (As you know, the MEE docs tend to sub-specialize).  Sounds like Dr. McKenna is at least in the right neck of the woods, specialty-wise...

Off the top of your head (no pun intended), do you happen to know if Dr. McKenna does the intra-canal, chisel-based procedure, as opposed to the behind-the-ear, drill-based procedure?

Thanks again for your advice on this.  I really appreciate it!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 05:14:55 PM »
Just be sure to get a guy who does it with a tiny video camera right in through the natural opening in your ear.  Don't let anybody cut open the backs of your ears.  I had mine done by Dr. Shohet of Shohet Ear Associates here in Newport Beach, and he did a fabulous job.  I'm so glad I had it done.  Maybe they could recommend someone likeminded in your area.      http://www.eardoctor.org/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:21:06 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
That I'm not sure of. He doesn't specialize in exostoses but i'm sure he could point you in the right direction to have it done in the manner you choose if he doesn't do it that way. Very reasonable guy....not a hard sell doc for sure. He somewhat specializes on vestibular schwanommas...what I had.....and his research focus is on otosclerosis which is a bone disease of the inner ear.

I've been fortunate so far on the exostoses front. I only have one hearing ear and I hate wearing ear plugs. He did say that it is less common to develop it as we get older if we didn't have heavy exposure when we were young.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal