Author Topic: Foil Board Length - Is 9'4 too long for a Foil Surf board?  (Read 2860 times)

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Foil Board Length - Is 9'4 too long for a Foil Surf board?
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
Lots of great information on StandUpZone--enjoyed reading about SUPUK's Foil Build, Beasho's threads on foil installation/learning to surf the foil and Robert's (Blue Planet) experiences and videos!  From what I am reading, it seems that shorter is better for a SUP board that will be used to foil surf in order to make it easier to turn and pump the foil.  It also seems like folks are having a lot of good luck with Simmons and Tomo shaped boards such as L41 and the Starboard Hypernut.

Am considering taking the plunge.  If I were to install a tuttle box onto a Pat Rawson 9'4"x30 that I have, will I find that this is board is too long to foil surf once my skills are there?  Would I be better off procuring a SIM-shaped board in the 7-8' range?  Thoughts?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Foil Board Length - Is 9'4 too long for a Foil Surf board?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »
Hi, I am still new to foiling...

My thoughts are that it depends on your conditions.  So far most of my foiling is in onshore wind slop or high tide backwashy funk.  In these challenging conditions I appreciate the extra stability of the foil and am glad I didn't get a super small board.

If on the other hand I had waist high or under smooth glassy soft waves to foil on I would most likely get a smaller board.

The other side of this is that I started on a monster 12 foot huge volume board, the stability was great, the lack of responsiveness is really hard when up on the foil. 

As long as your 9'4" is lower volume and not super heavy I suspect it can be a good place to start.  Maybe even consider installing the tuttle a bit forward so you have the option to chop the tail.

If it was my choice I would look for a used 8' simmons shape.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »
The biggest benefit of a Simmons style board is the flat bottom. Much easier to get the boxes straight and the relationship of the deck to bottom closer to parallel. They also tend to be short and wide. The new board that Marlon Lewis did for Brett Lickle made my forehead sweat. It looks so right. Makes me want to take a saw to my L41, but I'm still kidding myself that I can still surf it without a foil. You could do something like that with your 9'4". Maybe.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:55:16 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »
Thanks, Clay and Bill.  Yikes--I couldn't imagine taking a saw to one of my boards!  Your responses have me wishing that I didn't pass on an opportunity to pick up a production L41 SIM for a song a year ago from a guy that bought a storage container and ended up with a bunch of them.  I should check to see if one of my friends that did buy in might still have one.

Here is the shape of the Rawson in case it helps provide perspective.  It has a relatively flat rocker once you get past the nose but not as flat as a SIM.  I suspect I may be able to locate the Tuttle box in an area that flattens out and use this as a starter but may want something smaller once I have some skill.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 04:35:04 PM »
Oh and it is 9'4x30x4 3/8"x134.7L

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal