Author Topic: Foil Board performance Comparisons  (Read 2625 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Foil Board performance Comparisons
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:03:09 AM »
I feel we are still a long way from having the perfect foil board that provides us with a low drag platform for which we can paddle up to speed and take flight on.

I think every on is in the same vote and no one knows exactly what is working best but a lot of people are retro fitting old board of all shapes and sizes so I for one am keen to hear what people are finding out along the way. I am also getting a lot of messages asking this and that about what boards work and tbh I'm still not 100% sure myself so perhaps with a bit of communication on the subject we can start to work out what feels good. Hopefully with getting as much info together from as many sources we can move the design of boards on at double speed and help people find a good downer board to suite there needs

REQUIREMENTS

- you must have at least paddled two different boards with foils on

- Only the performance is of interest here

- State what it is you like and dislike about the two or more boards shape and performance

- Post a picture of booth boards and foils with your comparison if possible.

- Try and keep brand politics out of the equation and make your honest evacuation and comparison.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil Board performance Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »
I’ve had (2) one hour sessions on King’s Wedge 8’ and around 130 liters, with one of their prototype foils.  This was at San Onofre in calm 1 to 3’ waves.  It was really hard to catch the waves due to Sano’s very weak wave. 

This week I’ve had (2) two hours sessions on my 7’8” L41 about 122 liters in Huntington Beach.  I am in the steep learning curve and getting ass kicked in less than ideal conditions.  In 2 to 4 foot, wind chop, breaking waves.  I did get about 45 minutes of calm conditions, 1 to 3 breaking but not fast waves, my wave count and length of rides skyrocketed. 

Both boards seemed to work well given my limited flying experience.  I think the edge would go to the King’s board.  It’s brand new, lighter with more volume.  The L41 is wider at 31" vs the King's Wedge 28".  In the wind chop this is an advantage in stability.  The extra volume and light weight of the King's Wedge makes catching waves and flying easier.  I am a complete noob at this, so take that into consideration.

I will be getting their new foils, (production model) week after next.  It will have a shorter mast and different foils.  I will hopefully still have the King's board to compare them back to back.   

All things considered, I think the biggest advantage right now for me is not the board but the conditions.  Glass or calm conditions, 1 to 3 foot mushy waves is ideal for a learner.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:52:23 AM »
I'm using a 7'6" x 30.5" Mallet and an 8'5" x 31" Hammer...that I can also SUP surf and windSUP with...so, that means they need enough volume to uphaul a sail rig...which I can do with 120 liters and 128 liters, respectively...at 195#...

Even though I developed these shapes prior to foiling popping up on the radar of most folks, most of the production offerings coming online for 2018 look similar in plan form...etc...

Next up, I have a 7'10" Hammer that I had cut and will be built with a DT box, 5 fin boxes, mast track, & footstraps...again, it will be a convertible multi-sport board...

The Hammer catches waves easier...more glide...while the Mallet is easier to control once the foil starts flying due to less swing weight...
I just added foot straps to the Mallet...which allows me to switch the two fronts that I use for windfoiling, out to a single for SUP surf foiling...

Where I live in Santa Barbara, there are more opportunities for getting my foils flying with light to medium wind assist, than with wave or DW...
I often pass on SUP foil surfing at spots around here that are more suitable for it, because of crowds and potential for conflict...but, now that kids are going back to school...things should start to open up again...looking forward to more opportunities, as it feels like my windfoiling experience helps when SUP surf foiling...which feels more relaxed on the foil not going at the higher sail driven speeds...etc...

That said, regardless of what I'm doing with the foils, I am having lots more fun now that I have also become more familiar with the foils and their behavior(s)...and, what to do...or not do...during the inevitable crashes...;-)

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
I'm using a 7'6" x 30.5" Mallet and an 8'5" x 31" Hammer....

Love It!

With the exception, or maybe not, of SUPSports please state how much experience you have had on a Foil.

For example I have caught 4 waves, 1/8 session on a 9'2" Jeff Clark and ~ 200 waves over 9 sessions on my L41 8'2" X 32".  Foil installed 21" from the rear.

I am enjoying the L41 immensely and see NO Downside to the board yet.  It's super stable, catches waves Slightly better than normal, and the tail never drags.  BUT I have not compared enough to other boards. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal