Author Topic: CCBC Updates  (Read 5395 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
CCBC Updates
« on: August 11, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »
Okay all you lucky people. Tell us what's happening. How was the pre-party, the 4AM gathering, the long stretch across, and the after party?

No details too small!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: CCBC Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
You're going to have to wait until it actually happens. I'm doing the cooking for the pre-party, so there might not be a crossing tomorrow. My grasp of food safety is tenuous.

Actually, Diane (the safety patrol) is monitoring my activities, so explosive elimination will probably not be a reason for pulling out tomorrow morning at oh-dark-thirty.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »
This just in:
Pono is cooking up goodies for the pre party tonight. I'm going there hungry  ;D

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »
I'm bringing ghost pepper whiskey tonight.  :o

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 11:55:16 AM »
Im looking forward to meeting my Fellow paddlers at the preparty tonight. As tomorrows conditions aren't looking pretty !!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:10:05 PM by PDLSFR »
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »
Enjoyed a couple delicious pre paddle beers at Mayflower Brewery in Plymouth. Looking forward to some of Pono's cooking tonight.  The menu looked good and plentiful..
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
Wish I could be there to cheer paddlers on!  Have a safe and successful crossing... 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:40:02 PM »
Bon voyage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 06:44:20 PM »
Fun night with great people. Time for bed.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 08:11:58 PM »
What a day! Lots of trepidation Friday about the weather forecast, rain with potential thunderstorms. But the Coast Guard said that the conditions were within the parameters of our permit so we were a go. It started raining as we were driving to the beach at 3:30 this morning. It had one brief pause after we got on the water, then started again 10 mins later and basically didn't stop until we were 12 miles out. We maintained a very fast pace despite the rain and kept going until the rain stopped. The fear being that a stop would have caused some folks to get very cold. I did it as a relay and was cold as soon as I got in the boat. We also wanted to use the fair wind and following seas to keep up the pace. Good call because as soon as the rain stopped the wind switched to side on from the east and the rest of the way was slower.

Not much drama on this one....lots of folks paddling hard through relatively benign conditions. Everyone did very well. We had a few get in a boat for a short while for cramps or cold but that was it. 51 paddlers....all but 9 having done it before. I said there wasn't much drama but that isn't really true....some drama unknown to most of the paddlers. We had a few extraordinarily inspirational stories on this one but I can't share the details....suffice it to say that I'm very proud of a couple of my friends.

The after party was awesome as usual. Simply great vibe and despite the overcast skies (no rain...yay!) the air almost seemed to glow with the energy. Smiles all around, some groans as aching muscles locked up, lots of laughter, and a few tears. Great music, food, brews, and people... and it's the people that make this so special. So many amazing people and the 10th year had many of them thanking us for creating the Ohana that the CCBC has become. We honored Chaser for his dedication and gave him one of the Wellfleet tide clocks that we had also given to the original 8 paddlers back in 2008.

In addition to the other swag, rashguards, hei matau's, etc.. Mike Brown had an artist friend make glass globes to commemorate the 10th and each has a spiral of 2 intertwined streams of sand from Plymouth and Wellfleet (launch and land locations) in it.

We'll be north or raising $80,000 for CH today. My tiki was auctioned for $575.00 and Kayadogg made an awesome reclaimed wood version of the CCBC logo that brought $500

OK...I'm exhausted...time for bed. I'll share more later as I sure others will as well. Some great drone footage and other pics should be showing up soon too.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:24:45 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 05:18:39 AM »
A fine day and a fine bunch of people to make twenty thousand or so paddle strokes with. Great oysters and great Wachusetts brews. a fine reason to keep going. That had to be a near record run.

Kicked my ass, but I recover quickly. It's a good thing, there's wind in the Gorge and the Gorge Paddle Challenge is next weekend. I'm looking forward to that. Thanks to all the CCBC ohana for making me feel so welcome.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 06:08:13 AM »
I'm so glad the paddle went off well. Sometimes the weather gods have mercy!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »

Kayadogg..that ghost pepper whiskey was off the charts and I don't even drink whiskey.  Thanks so much for the bottle....
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Another amazing CCBC in the books. This year's 31 mile marathon was almost enjoyable with favorable tides, winds and cloud cover keeping us comfortable the entire crossing.   By far the best conditions for the event in my 7 years.
As always it was so great to paddle with fellow Zoners Stoneaxe, Chaser, Pono Bill, Kayadogg, PDLSRFR, Pieces of 8 and I am sure a few more I forgot (Wachusett beer)

The after party was great as always and especially delicious this year with Mac's Shack catering. 

Most importantly it was all about raising money for an incredible organization, and it was so nice to hear some of the inspiring stories and meet some of the families who have benefited from Christopher's Haven.  So happy to hear we raised more than $80,000 this year..way to go everyone!
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »

Kayadogg..that ghost pepper whiskey was off the charts and I don't even drink whiskey.  Thanks so much for the bottle....

Glad you enjoyed it Don. It was great hanging with you and the Mrs.

I really enjoyed yesterday but how could you not? What an incredible effort by everyone involved, including the friends and families that supported everyone. I'm proud to have spent yesterday with all of you.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal