Author Topic: Inflatables-Isle, Tower, Elevate OR ?  (Read 11716 times)

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Inflatables-Isle, Tower, Elevate OR ?
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Howdy to all!!

Just got approved and been searching and searching and reading and searching.

I'm out in Colorado and have recently decided to get into SUPing and add to an already long list of "ING" things I do here.

I've been looking into and have narrowed my search down to 3 choices.
1) ISLE series
2) Elevate series
3) Tower series

My stats are 6'3", 225, 51. Newbie looking to just paddle around lakes,reservoirs AND potentially get into easy river runs.

I have found the above sup's priced from 800-945.
Lengths from 9'-14' and up to 8" thick.
One reviewer mentioned the 8" one (tower explorer 14'er) being a real pain to get back into because of the thickness of it.
Then of course there's the MONSTER ISLE Megalodon 15' 8" at 1295.00 that can hold 1050lbs!! LOL.

My question is pretty much the same as I'm sure a lot have asked but since I was seeing dates back to 2015 I figured I would begin a new one since I'm sure things have changed since.

What would be a good choice?
Comparing
Quality
Stability
Speed (I know, the mega is a tank so let's not worry about that one )
Agility

Right now I'm taking a serious look at either the
Isle Explorer@ 895 -12'
Isle Sportsman@945- 11' 6"
Elevate all around@799-10'6"
Elevate touring ISUP@849-12'6"
Tower Explorer@799-14'

Suggestions?
Feedback?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions offered. :D
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Inflatables-Isle, Tower, Elevate OR ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:02:43 PM »
Hello Windwarrior and Welcome to the Zone.

Check local craigslist, the zone classifies, and distressed mullet classified as you might even score a board cheaper used in great condition.

My only advice...do not skimp on a cheap paddle, spend the extra money on a high quality paddle.

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »
I would be more inclined to get the higher volume Explorer at your size or the 12'6" Touring. Have you considered other brands such as Hala who operates right out of Colorado or Red Paddle? The pricing of Isle is quite good, but just wondering if you have checked out other brands?

switters

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »
My isle explorer 11' is two years old, holding up well and works well for easy river and flat water, I've done some overnight comping off of it also, wish they made the 12' when I bought it.  The touring 12'-6" is also a good choice but I like the side bite fins for rivers and the explorer comes with bungie d-rings already installed in the rear.

Since you are in Colorado there are some good deals on used Halas, the hala nass (I have an older one) is also a good choice, the new ones dont have side bites.  Faster/better glide than the Isle Explorer, more expensive, quality is great for both.  If you have to do a lot of carry the Isle is going to be about 5 pounds lighter.

Red paddle has  really good product, a paddling buddy has two of the 12-6 and I've spent some time on those also.

I'm in FOCO if you are in the area and want to demo the isle and see what you are getting before ordering on line.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »
I would be more inclined to get the higher volume Explorer at your size or the 12'6" Touring. Have you considered other brands such as Hala who operates right out of Colorado or Red Paddle? The pricing of Isle is quite good, but just wondering if you have checked out other brands?

I didn't know that Hala was here. I kinda assumed Red Paddle was meh quality.
I'll look into these two.

I will say this, the Elevate looks pretty solid and durable. I like the way they're put together too.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 03:19:02 PM »
Hello Windwarrior and Welcome to the Zone.

Check local craigslist, the zone classifies, and distressed mullet classified as you might even score a board cheaper used in great condition.

My only advice...do not skimp on a cheap paddle, spend the extra money on a high quality paddle.

Thanks for the welcome.
Distressed mullet? There's a website called that? LOL! Ok. I'll look into it.

As far as the paddle goes, I totally agree. Being into sea kayaking, I know what you mean. I own a pair of Carbon Werners. I compared the base paddle that comes with the Elevate and then grabbed a carbon and knew that the base version would probably only serve as an emergency or loaner at best.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
My isle explorer 11' is two years old, holding up well and works well for easy river and flat water, I've done some overnight comping off of it also, wish they made the 12' when I bought it.  The touring 12'-6" is also a good choice but I like the side bite fins for rivers and the explorer comes with bungie d-rings already installed in the rear.

Since you are in Colorado there are some good deals on used Halas, the hala nass (I have an older one) is also a good choice, the new ones dont have side bites.  Faster/better glide than the Isle Explorer, more expensive, quality is great for both.  If you have to do a lot of carry the Isle is going to be about 5 pounds lighter.

Red paddle has  really good product, a paddling buddy has two of the 12-6 and I've spent some time on those also.

I'm in FOCO if you are in the area and want to demo the isle and see what you are getting before ordering on line.

I'd like to take you up on checking out yours and if possible, your buddies too.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
Distressed mullet- Well, NOW I feel like a tool for laughing at the name. It's amazing how names of certain sports come into play. Very informative website indeed!! I wonder how that name came up?  Something to do with how your hair looks after wearing the helmet?
I know mine looks pretty goofy after I take my helmet off on a day of riding.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
I have a 14'x36"  Tower Xplorer, a 12'6"x30 Blue Planet Touring and a 2015 Red Elite at 14'x26" .

At 5'10" and 275, I'm pushing the limits of stability on the Red, but I like the glide. I like the battens that stiffen the Red boards and they are rated to 25 psi, which also helps.

The Tower IS a pain to get back on, and headwinds destroy you on it, but it's fun for handing  playing on lakes with newbies. It only takes 11psi to make the 8" thick monster plenty stiff tho', and I think on rocks a lower psi will more forgiving. I got it cheap on a Tower sale.

I like my Blue Planet touring board a lot and it's almost as fast as the Red. I got it first, and it really still does all I need. It came with a 3 piece carbon paddle - I bought a really nice Ke Nalu this year, and the old one is surprisingly not terrible in comparison - it's a very good travel paddle and very strong.

We have a local up here who swears by Hala tho' . I think any of the 12-13' touring styles would suit you for lakes/resevoirs and occasional rivers, but they tend to not have side fins. I did find a folding one recently and they seem also "not terrible" - www.frogfishfins.com .

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 01:59:37 AM »
I kinda assumed Red Paddle was meh quality.
Actually, a good case could be made for saying that Red Paddle are the best quality inflatable SUPs in the world.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 04:57:23 AM »
I kinda assumed Red Paddle was meh quality.
Actually, a good case could be made for saying that Red Paddle are the best quality inflatable SUPs in the world.

After doing some more research and reading, I'd have to agree on that. Apparently they're the leaders in the industry and the first ones to start with inflatables too.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 06:48:14 AM »
After doing some more research and reading, I'd have to agree on that. Apparently they're the leaders in the industry and the first ones to start with inflatables too.

Red have a nice mix of boards, a little higher than your budget as outlined in the first post but some 2016 are still floating around and are on sale.

I'd probably suggest the 12'6" Explorer: https://greenwatersports.com/shop/red-paddle-co-12-6-explorer for you.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 07:49:05 AM »
I've come across another company called Great Lakes.
It seems they're advertising all over Craigslist pretty much nationwide. Fantastic price but curious if it's for a reason.

I've tried to look into the way all these boards are made and not seeing any vids on this. At least not on the inflatables. Things like how they're put together, stitching etc.

One thing that was pointed out was the Elevate stitching/bonding process is a newer technique? More reliable than "the old way" of building and putting them together. The way it looks is impressive.

I saw a video of a blowout on an Isle after 14 mths which made me cringe and think about the build processes between all. After all, last thing I want happening is THAT after putting air in one so it makes sense to look into the build process. No?
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:16:30 AM »
I've worked with Great Lakes on occasion. I know the owner. They are a budget range of boards. Solid, nothing fancy but at the right price for many.

Lastest in inflatables is Fusion Construction. Pioneered by Red Paddle Co under their name MSL (https://greenwatersports.com/6316/what-is-msl-monocoque-structural-laminate-of-course) many other brands are now playing catch up and have a line of boards with this construction. Red uses it for all their boards.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »
Great Lakes has them for 850 but I don't believe they're inflatable. 

I must say, after THAT information link I'm very curious about the RedCo.

Now I need to know construction difference between the two.

I've always preferred buying quality so I know it will last. I'm not discounting Elevation just yet. RedCo has my attention though.

The Elevation looks pretty solid and for the price, worse case would become a solid loaner.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:15:52 AM by Windwarrior »
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal