Author Topic: Well THAT kind of sucked... :D  (Read 6976 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Well THAT kind of sucked... :D
« on: May 12, 2015, 01:44:18 PM »
I had a busy day at work, long commute home, took my kid to karate, it was 8:15 before I was able to make some time to try to paddle my local lake, get some excercise.

I took my isup in my little diesel bug and puttered the 2 miles to the lake. It clouded up as I got out the board (I should mention sunset is already pushed back to past 10pm, it was sunny-ish when I started - I was hoping the dark clouds to the north east would stay back awhile )  . Started raining as I pumped it up, and it was blowing a bit from the southwest - as I went out I paddled into the wind first so I could coast back, I hate putting the difficult part and the end of the run - I like a pleasant coast in if I can get it :D . As I got farther out across the lake the wind reversed completely and went up in speed to about 10mph with gusts above , the temps dropped as the clouds got thick  and I decided to turn back - to face the wind AGAIN... And it began to rain HARD. Combine that with temps in the mid-40s and I wimped out, gave up on getting in a few miles and headed back to the car. I usually generate so much heat paddling that cold air doesn't bother me - but with the rain being driven into me I was soaked and cold. Of course as I packed up there wind died and the glimmer of blue began to show again......

But .....18 minutes on the water to go a mile, even paddling into the wind, is better than none. Combined with Paleo, I'm down more than 10 pounds in a month - I get below 280 and it's the first time in .... a long time. :D

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Well THAT kind of sucked... :D
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »
I'm a SUPer and a cyclist, and the first rule of cycling is that it's always a headwind and it will be both ways.  I've found it to be true about SUP sometimes as well, but not as often.  It's the rule in cycling.

You toughed it out, put it in the win category
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »
Good for you, mud!  You don't get any better standing on shore, so even if crappy conditions prevent you from going great distances you're still getting a workout and improving.  One of the most helpful fitness tips I've ever read is that "fit" people tend to do something, even if it's just a little, when they have the chance.  That's been a helpful thing to remember as I used to let all kinds of little things become workout busters--meeting ran 10min late, conditions aren't prime, etc.  Of course, temper this with safety as it looks like the weather could have made things dangerous (you didn't know it was going to clear).

You got in a workout even with all the work, commute and kid stuff.  Good for you!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
Thanks for the props :D 

Especially since my summer is so short, I try to get out a couple times a week - I HOPE for a 30 minutes on the water workout or more, at least. Sometimes I just throw my 10' little plastic lake-kayak into the Beetle and go instead of SUP cause it's so EASY to get going - plus it's like a runner with a parachute :D lots of excerise. My average speed on SUP is 1/2 to 1 mph faster than on the lake boat - but I tend push myself harder and use new muscles on the SUP so I'm trying to use it more.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 02:31:13 PM »
Ha ha.... definitely in deepmud....Murphy is a big player in SUP.... ;)

But, nothing like a force march, to get us in shape.
I was just about where you are now when I started SUP.... today: 214.

Keep paddling up-wind brother!

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 04:12:17 PM »
Confucious say:  Zoner who lives in Alaska, not able to see forest for trees...

LAKE
SUP
DOCK PILING
KID
KARATE
HELLLOOOO??
     ;D ;D

Time management = "special workout for you today, Son.."   ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:14:50 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »
Fill Isup up....let air out.....Fill Isup up.....let air out....Fill Isup up.....let air out......... :D

The fillup is itself part of my work out - from 10 to 15 psi is a lot of pressure on the stock pump....I was thinking tho'...could I re-route/bleed off of my turbocharger - that is a LOT of air at 15psi :D

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »
2 years later - I'm still 275-280 but 2 pant sizes smaller and LOTS faster. I had a goal of "fit by 50" - wish I was skinnier but I'm much more fit with 4 months of "50" left.

I appreciated the encouragement then, and now. Last night I was out, same lake, not as windy. The Reds are spawning. Loons were fishing and calling to each other and an Osprey was hanging out and calling too. Learning to see the forest...  :D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
Try intermittent fasting along with your increased exercise. Lots of us fatties will never lose weight from exercise until we reach a level where we flame out. I skip breakfast, do a paddle (OC6 or sup), and right after exercise eat as much of a 20 gram protein bar as I can, washed down with a quart of water. Maybe lunch, early dinner, don't eat after 6:00PM. That gives me 18 hours of fasting. I'm not religious about that routine, but I do it enough to call it a routine. I've lost about 20 pounds and decreased my body fat from 28% to 20%. I'm aiming for 200 pounds and somewhere under 20%. That fat perccentage is not tank weighing, just a conductivity scale, but even if the amount isn't precise the trend is useful.

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to completely eliminate alcohol. After a month off I reintroduced wine and beer with meals, and immediately picked up four pounds that I could feel in my middle. No wonder they call it a beer gut.

I'm 70, so my body fat percentage is challenging. Muscles going away every time I ignore them for a microsecond. But I think I'm doing OK.

Of course it's helpful to consult a professional, I've done that more than a bit and they really didn't help much. I'm going to step up my program after carpal tunnel surgery and my next knee juicing. It's a steep road down from here if I don't.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:32:29 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »
"knee juicing" - that's those shots of some sort of lubricant? I get those every so often - it's allowed me to put down a cane - but eventually it's going to be either magic stem cells or a least a half-knee replacement.

Hmm. Yeah - fasting - it's sort of what I used to do when I got busy outside on the long summer days - this year has been tough, my wife tore her achilles (prednisone and side effects of RA - she was just walking up some stairs...bam!) - so I've been WAY more househusband this year :(

Caribou hunting is soon, I need to get more time on the treadmill if nothing else, but losing 5 or 10 pounds would be such a help on these wore out knees....I'll give it a try.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »
I think I am with Bill. Gonna try giving up wine and beer during the week. Bad habit thinking I need to have something alcoholic in my hand after 5 PM. I lost 30 lbs when I started to paddle a couple of years ago. My goal is to drop just another 5 lbs...but it doesn't seem to be happening without some further action. Going to have my right hip replaced by the end of the year and I want to be as light as possible to take the load off!
Was out this morning for my usual 6 mile workout,  and at precisely my 3 mile resting point the sun went into 93% eclipse here on the Canal. It was weird and awesome at the same time. The temp dropped about 15 degrees quickly and it felt pretty odd. Anyway,  it was a perfect morning and experience. I love this time of year.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:32:46 PM »
I started the no drinking during the week thing and it's not too bad. I've been on a health kick guided by a dietician and dropped 30 pounds in 3 months. Amazing results by portion control, proteins at the right time and very few carbs. One way to jump start your body into a quick weight drop if you plateau is eat only protein for 3 days. 12-15 oz total spaced out all day. Hard but impressive how u don't really feel hungry.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
Good advice. Also,  I find that eating more soup is helpful. It's very filling. I like chicken noodle and I add half a can of tuna to it along with tumeric powder and lots of black pepper. I also add some spinach and green onions.
This is a frequent lunch for me.
Breakfast before my morning paddle session is usually 2 to 3 cups of strong coffee and 2 tablespoons of Skippy extra chunky. I take half a banana with me to eat when I am half way through my workout. Always take water with me as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »
If that's canned chicken soup then you're eating a hell of a lot of salt. Get a supermarket roasted chicken (also pretty salty) and make your own. Much cheaper, much healthier.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »
I know what you mean and my wife does make great soup out of our Costco chicken leftovers.....ya know,  that Costco rotisserie chicken that must have some kind of drugs in it because it is SO good!!
But yea,  trying to keep your salt intake down is tough as everything seems to have so much in it! 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]