Author Topic: Bungee Foil Surfing - Video  (Read 5730 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Bungee Foil Surfing - Video
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
I am usually up for trying something new, especially if I have never tried it and even more so if I have never seen anyone else try it either.  :D

Super fun rigging up a DIY bungee and getting launched on to the foil with it!  So So So So Super Super Super FUN!!!

I have been frustrated with trying to downwind SUP foil surf, unless it's nuking lifting the foil seems just out of reach...I have been dreaming of a human powered way to practice foiling and boost ourselves into the waves on micro light wind days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5o7IJUX3qI
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bungee Foil Surfing - Video
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:35:35 AM »
Very cool. Some of the kids here in Hood River have a gas-powered winch that they take out on the sand bar to tow skim and wake boards. The bungee looks just as good without the noise and weight. A river anchor and a float. Brilliant. I'm gonna make one. What did you use for a bungee?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
Ok - am I crazy when I think "rope-tow" as the next step? That was the first thing that came to mind....you know - like on old ski slopes - an a pulley platform on an anchor wayyyyyyyy out, you grab the rope and ZOOOOMMM! out you go?

Heck you might be able to ride back to shore on it.....the danger level goes way up with a 5 to 7mph (?) rope dragging you at a big pulley but heck you want to live forever? :D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:10:24 AM »
Clay:  You are one committed Dude!

I am wondering how much tension is on the rope/handle.  Specifically when you are flying there is a lift to drag element.  A really efficient airfoil has a Lift/Drag ratio of 20:1 (think high performance glider). 

At 10:1, assuming you weigh 200 lbs, the rope-bungee could fly you with 20 lbs of pull.  That is not very much.  Initially the drag would be higher but maybe this is why you can continue to fly at the end of the ride when the bungee is losing tension. 

All worth measuring to improve the sport. 

"If you can't measure it you can't fix it."

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
A really efficient airfoil has a Lift/Drag ratio of 20:1 (think high performance glider). 

"If you can't measure it you can't fix it."

More like 60:1 for a high performance glider I would think foils would be in the paraglide region as fare as glide ratio however compared to a boat or board on the water there is a huge difference. They say one inch sq. in the water is equiverlent to a 8'x4' in the air

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »
@clay

Interesting video. Seems you got the best rides of the day compared to your friends.

Thanks for sharing the video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
Loving the comments, good stuff!

I have no idea if this is the best type of bungee to use, it was affordable and easy to get:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BQY7WU/
cut into three 100 foot lengths and braided.

What's a good way to measure this stuff?  Pull scale?  At the stretch we had it one man couldn't hold it solo.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »
Just get one of those high powered drones.... Your son can show you how to use it:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »
Actually when I first read the thread title and saw the first part of the video, I thought you had attached the bungee to the board and just pulled up on it to help you hop. We used to loop a bicycle inner tube under our skate boards and go for crazy aerials at the skate parks. When I was 15, I was already over 6' tall. I was so tight, I could barely bend down far enough to grab the rail of my board for an aerial. I was good at Ollie channel hops:) Anyway, if you had a bungee or inner tube attached to the handle on the deck of the board, it might allow you to just pump your way up?  FFT.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »
You need a Grinch!

They've been Grinching for some time around here.

Zero to planing speed in less than a second. You just need some room without people on the beach.

https://youtu.be/Tzy0tgKKCS8

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
Here's a table of bungee properties:  http://performancehobbies.com/tibungee.htm

Three lengths of 3/8 bungee stretched to 125% is giving you about 42 pounds of pull. For what it's worth, the motor and prop I'm playing with right now gives 80 pounds of thrust, so I'm holding out a good thought for cheap eFoils.

I think 125' of doubled 1/2 inch might give more bang for the buck. 46 pounds of force and you can stretch it further. The bigger the diameter, the more you can stretch it. 1/2" can go to 240 percent, 3/8 maxes at 210. You'll note that smaller diameters give more pull at 125% stretch, because they are close to their ultimate max length--we've all seen how bungees "stack" when they get close to max stretch. Bigger diameters can be stretched further and will pull longer. So a 1/4" bungee would give you 33 pounds of pull at 125% and you can pull 100 feet of it to 285 feet and probably get something like 60 pounds of pull for probably 50 feet declining to 0 after 185 feet. 100 feet of 1/2" would give you something in the range of 80 pounds at 340 feet and would pull above 60 pounds for about 100 feet declining to 0 at 100 for a pull length of 240 feet.

That's just ballpark math looking at the proportions of the table but it looks reasonable.

OK, gotta do this. Right after I come back from the east coast. We have the perfect place to use this in Hood River. the sand bar stretches more than 1/2 mile into the river, perpendicular to the shore. Covered with kiters but they're mostly on the windward side. Lots of places to do this with hip deep water.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:57:54 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 05:30:52 AM »
Appreciate the posts.

Bill thanks for the link and the math.  A friend is donating an old spool of bungee to the cause so we will have plenty to try different configurations.  I look forward to hearing/seeing your bungee adventures.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »
Poor man's cable park...I'd probably give it a go on a day with no wind or waves...

I've been having a blast windfoiling with my foils this Summer...more fun than a barrel full of monkeys in a banana cream pie factory...;-)

Both of you guys live in breezy areas popular for windsurfing...have you thought about dusting off the windsurf gear, or kite, to apply a sustainable power source to your foils?
Natural energy source...no boats, wet bikes, bungees, or Huntington hopping is necessary...;-)

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
Yup, gonna do it, I've just been so focused on downwinders this year everything else is in second place. I got all my ancient Superfreaks out a few days ago to see what I need to go windsurf foiling. Looks like nothing much. Since I mostly windsurf on SUP boards I'm going to have to stick a Tuttle in one of them. The Starboard 12'2" already has one, but it's in the middle of the board. I put two mast tracks on the bottom of my L41, but the most likely all-around foil is a GoFoil, so I guess I could stick a Tuttle between the tracks and then put a track on the deck for the mast. I'm going to run out of foam on that board pretty soon though. Maybe I'll borrow an LP foil from Rod Parmenter--that bolts right to the tracks since it's what I did the tracks for in the first place. Whatever I do it will have to wait until I get back from the CCBC.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:52:04 AM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal