Author Topic: Flat, domed or concave?  (Read 7124 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Flat, domed or concave?
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »

It sounds good to me in theory, but I can't get used to flat decks (i tried one again a few days back).  Too many years using domes?  I had even considered trying a little concave for a bit, but abandoned.  What do you guys think?

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Flat, domed or concave?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »
i tend to prefer domed.

as an aside most people have been using flats and concaves in the skateboard world... they have lost connection with the earliest decks which tended to have the features of a domed deck (rounded edges on thick solid woods). today only a few understand  the advantages of a dome or convex. it's such a shame because it really has it's place in longboard design.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 12:16:18 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
Nice shots Shifter!

Are those truck-stops underneath?

I had a Hobie fiberglass skate deck at one point that was ultra thin and narrow.  It ended up flexing to fit like a dome.  You are right though, all concave for skate ever since.

lawaia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 02:37:28 PM »
Been riding surfboards that are domed - a shaper once mentioned that it was a effective way to "hide" the volume and keep the rails thin to allow for more maneuverability.  Makes sense to me.

Have a SUP with a flatter deck and one with more dome.  I prefer the one with more dome. 

That's my 2 cents...

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
a slightly domed surface adds strength to the structure and sheds water much easier.
it splays out the traction surface more so than flat and far better than concave providing for better grip.
it is a more comfortable pediform as the foot readily conforms to that shape.

though a flat or slightly concave surface may be of greater advantage when the feet are parallel somewhere maybe just slightly back from the center of the board. perhaps a "w" concave in this area might provide for a happy medium in this case.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 07:12:48 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »
I've seen a guy here on Kauai who had a Terry Chung paddle board and it had like a double concave in the back 1/3 of the deck. Looked kinda interesting...

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 05:01:26 PM »
it is a more comfortable pediform as the foot readily conforms to that shape.

Speaking of feet, this is really interesting (to me).  I had always assumed that balance was a fuction of the inner ear.   I learned today, that while this is true, the inner ear is one of 3 systems that are all integral to balance.  The other 2 are sight, and tactile sensation in the feet.  In cases of advanced diabetes, this sensation is often lost, and along with it goes balance.  Age is also a factor.  This does not typically begin to fade until the mid 60's, but with people living longer...

Many studies show that among the aging, when balance is regularly used or practiced, it is lost less frequently and to a lesser degree.

A bit off topic for sure, but hey, dust off the Indo board!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kpNlIRjzOFY

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal