Author Topic: Northeast summer/surf trip? - SUPTHECREEK Help?  (Read 3651 times)

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Northeast summer/surf trip? - SUPTHECREEK Help?
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
The family and I are already tossing around ideas for next summer's vacation. We've gone to Myrtle for the past 15 years and was thinking something else for next summer. Never been north of Maryland, so was thinking of trying somewhere in the Northeast. My 20 year son and 16 year old prone surf and I SUP surf. My wife does neither, but loves a good book and good glass of wine. Any suggestions of places we might look?- we also like hiking but not roughing it with the wife with us :) - Looking at spending around $200 a night if doable - live in Va., but totally unknown to anything north of Baltimore. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:12:08 AM by SUPvol »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Northeast summer/surf trip? - SUPTHECREEK Help?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »
If you're asking Creek, why not head to his holy ground of Cape Cod? Gorgeous place!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »

If it were me, it would be a toss up between Cape Cod and Maine.

Southern Maine and coastal NH have some great surfing and hiking.

Some surf spots can be crowded during July and August but if you know where and when to go it's not too bad. July often has flat spells but the swells usually pick up again in August.

If you have enough time, you can spend a day or two exploring Acadia National Park.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »
if you've done Myrtle beach then you've basically  done Ocean City MD and pretty much all of Jersey. Really similar feelings.

I too would vote for Southern Maine or the Cape. 

That's a whole different feel.  Even from NH or RI beaches.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
My wife was born and reared in Texas. She took one of those 10 day Carnival cruises and she fell in love with Bar Harbor, Maine.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
Hi SUPvol!

I have friends in Myrtle, so I go every year!
Great golf and great people, but limited surf....

The Cape and Maine are both great places to go.... in fact everywhere in New England is worth a few months exploration.

Hiking on the Cape will be through dunes, along the beaches or in State forests.... all super nice and beautiful.
Beach walks can be very private because the National Park limits access to several oceanside parking lots in th entire outer Cape... so a short walk will get you away from the crowds.

Dawn patrol this morning (with Stoneaxe) netted good vibes, good waves, warm water, whales, seals and porpoises.

Add in great seafood restaurants, whale watches, fishing trips and sunset/sunrise over the water and you have a lot of options!

The summer surf seems to be better on the Cape Cod beach breaks than most other places.... at least from what I hear and experience. Water is cold in June, beautiful right now and warmish through September which, in my view, is the best time to come! (low 60's ocean, 70's in Bay and ponds)

Summer is a bit of a rat race.... but totally doable if you schedule like a local.

Maine is also spectacular.... totally different waterfront experience from the Cape' sand dune, estuary enviroment.
Maine has majestic rocky headlands and deep water coves, filled with spectacular boats and scenery.
Quaint fishing villages nestled in secure nooks and crannies.... like the classic Bar Harbor.... what's not to love?
Take a 2 month vacation and see it all  :)

The surf in Maine can be pretty good in summer as well, because of the many wind and swell direction options.
With 3,478 miles of coastline, every situation is covered.

The bugs on Cape Cod are limited to dawn and dusk, so beaches are enjoyable all day, but wear spay for Sunrise over the Atlantic and Sunset over the Bay.
Maine's black flies will eat you alive.... like the Cape's Greenheads... but harder to avoid IMO.

Flatwater paddling is as good as it gets all over New England..... it's one reason I didn't head south when my kids graduated high school.... I am spoiled by the natural beauty and diversity of our many thousands of waterways.

This is just a scratch of a very big surface..... ask more specific questions when they come up and I'm sure we will have more suggestions!

Couple of shots from today (sunrise, surf shot from board, after session top of stairs) and some others that keep me here  :)

I'll try to dig up some of my Maine shots from the archives.

Everywhere is awesome, if you know where to look ;D

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 04:47:54 PM »
If July is your time frame the Cape is your only real chance for waves. August......depends. Once again I think your odds are better on the Cape. I live in Portsmouth NH and frequent Southern Maine but it is F  L  A  T in the summer for the most part, if there is a small wave trim left, trim right, and that can be the same for the outer cape. Having said that I am sitting on a deck looking out over the waters of Nantucket sound this minute and it does not get any "summierer" then this. Glorious.
New England Is My Playground

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »
Hi SUPvol. Like Creek I live on the Cape.

In my humble opinion the Cape isn't worth a trip up from where you are considering you have closer access to similar spots with warmer  waters. At least not for the summer beach and hiking experience as you state. That said, if you were into bicycling and wanted to do weekday trips to the Vineyard, Provincetown and Boston then I'd say go for it. That would add some great variety, exercise and history to your travels. And of course pray for waves during your stay.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:06:39 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 05:09:28 AM »
Maine's black flies will eat you alive.... like the Cape's Greenheads... but harder to avoid IMO.

Black flies are mostly a spring to early summer thing in Maine.

Summer is Horse flies (Greenheads) in the salt marshes, Deer flies in the woods,  Noseeums at the beaches in the morning and of course mosquitoes at times in certain places.

None of these are anything to worry about though. People still enjoy hiking and camping and going to the beach all summer.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »
The Cape is awesome for sure but don't overlook Lil'Rhody (Rhode Island).  Surf in the summer is usually small and then there's the red algae (commonly referred to as "Red Tide", which its not) that can be overwhelming not to mention the little critters it harbors. Doing the kabooky dance trying to get the little nippers out of your shorts can be comical (but only when its your friend and not you).  Southerly winds on the south facing Newport and Middletown beaches chops things up pretty much each day in the summer...am sessions when there's waves is the way to go.  That a side, Newport is a must stop for a day to check out the sights (downtown Thames St and Americas Cup Ave, the incredible summer cottages (i.e., mansions) of the rich and famous of yester-year), and Cliff Walk.  And southern RI has lots of beautiful spots and things to do - a trip to Block Island can be fun as well as checking out some of the towns like Narragansett, Pt Judith, and Charleston.

Ferry trips out to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket (up off the Cape or out of Newport) can be a fun day trip....be prepared for summer crowds and tourist prices at all.
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard