Author Topic: Another SUP Death - Huntington Harbor  (Read 14718 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another SUP Death - Huntington Harbor
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
If you watch the news cast, at the end the reporter says " We contacted the coast guard and they said in open water stand up paddlers are required to wear life jackets, but in closed waters areas such as Huntington Harbor they are not."
Scary that even the USCG doesn't even know their own rules nor CA's NMV laws. That's probably what they told this rental outfitter, hence why there are no pfds.
Edit: Maybe this harbor is within private property and is not subjected to state and federal laws? Can that be true? You'd think that their insurance company wouldn't support that, but who knows these days.

Off topic but CG members not knowing their own rules is nothing uncommon.  Several buddies of mine who are CG vets are very upfront about the fact they wrote tickets without being fully familiar with the very rules they were enforcing.  Really nothing shocking.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:55 PM »
I've seen this in so many activities that have some danger component--even when it's fairly small as it apparently is with SUP. I see hordes of people out paddling in the mighty Columbia with the paddle backwards, a leash dragging behind them and a PFD tied to the nose. How are they not dying like flies?  Far worse is motorcycles. I routinely see new motorcycle riders on Harleys, a bike that is compromised in every significant way, riding with no safety gear and no helmet--or some little bullshit plastic hat that keeps the cops from writing them a ticket but will do nothing for their head. I've been riding since I was 16 (54 years ago) and I look like I'm headed out to play hockey if I ride to the store. What are these lunatics thinking?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »
I can't swim...I never go paddling without my leash securely wrapped on my leg. I use a little common sense...

Uhhh.  You need to use a little more.  You can't or don't want to learn to swim, fine, but buy and wear a PFD.  For those of us that have used leashes all are lives know they are not full proof and can't count the number of times, they've broken, come loose or some other failure occurs.  I wear a PFD when I have to or when I'm out of my element.  I forget it's on and no one even notices that I am wearing one.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:58:34 AM »
^^^ you got that big a beer belly?

<duck>
sorry, couldn't resist

An impact vest is fine for swimming. It's just a bit warm for races when you can't jump in to cool off occasionally.

A waist PDF, when inflated and worn is impossible to swim with. Whoever is suggesting that I think hasn't though it though or tried. Bad suggestion.

My preference, when it comes to swimming in is still a restube, inflated and dragged behind for visibility.

Visibility is what you want if you are swimming in. Lots of it. Give, of course you can swim.

A classic PFD is designed to lie down in the water and keep your mouth up, not for swimming.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
A waist PDF, when inflated and worn is impossible to swim with. Whoever is suggesting that I think hasn't though it though or tried. Bad suggestion.

Yugi, you do understand the difference between swim aids and safety equipment right?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
The nice thing about an inflatable is that if you do get in a jam (loose your board etc.) you can manually unfurl the vest and wear it.  You can adjust the buoyancy as needed using the manual tube.  It's a great idea to take a couple of minutes to practice getting into your inflatable before you need it just to get familiar with how it works (and check out the cool whistle inside).   

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »
^^^ you got that big a beer belly?

I were mine backwards, but it's barely even a booty enhancer.

Not sure why people are so nutty about the impossiblility of swimming with an inflated waist PFD.  Number one, we're paddling and not swimming.  If I'm swimming, I'm not pulling the cord.  And there's absolutely no problem swimming with it uninflated.  It's a last resort option, so you wouldn't be doing the Phelps to the shoreline and have an inflated PFD.

Not to mention, my response was for the HanaSurf who isn't swimming anywhere.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) wearing a PFD is required in many places, stateside.  I'm more then happy to wear a PFD in places like the Puget Sound where they don't mess around in enforcing PFD requirements.  Besides the cold water, the wind and big currents, you need a way for Shamu to spot you.  And I always wear a PFD in fresh water where I sink like a rock.  At home, it's LA LA Land; a leash in the surfline and a PFD only if required.

This is my Onyx M-16 inflated.  Just a small pillow float which would be more visible then and just as easy to pull as a swim tube:

The Restube does not have USCG Certification.  They have a Kickstatrer to pay for the certification process (which does not inspire confidence in the company or products).  The new Restube with a chance for certification is the same design as the M-16:

And you can forget about the swim tube, it has no chance to pass.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »
If you watch the news cast, at the end the reporter says " We contacted the coast guard and they said in open water stand up paddlers are required to wear life jackets, but in closed waters areas such as Huntington Harbor they are not."
Scary that even the USCG doesn't even know their own rules nor CA's NMV laws...

Hate to bag on you Dude, but seriously; you're taking the word of some chick news reporter on what the coast guard said?  Seriously, you'd better do a fact check, just like that chick should have.  Maybe of course, the news never gets the facts wrong; right?

And ladies, no offense, I'm just a SoCal surf dude.

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 09:28:59 AM »
I don't understand how people that can't swim can rent a SUP.

Well, I can.

What I cannot understand is:

1.  How rental operations do not require wearing a PFD for non-swimmers.

2.  Everyone needs to be instructed to wear a leash on a rental board.

After that, it's all on the user.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »
I don't understand how people that can't swim can rent a SUP. It blows my mind. The first question I ask people after they book a lesson with me is if they can swim. I know people can lie but if I couldn't swim, the last thing I would want to do is try a new water activity.

I'm 66 yrs old and been paddling since2008. I've had 7 boards and have 3 now I've kept. I can't swim the length of the shortest  board  ;D.  I never go paddling without my leash securely wrapped on my leg. I use a little common sense on when and where to paddle and never had a problem. I've always paddled alone and had no one to teach me how to paddleboard but I've never come close to having a problem on the water... LEASH UP ;)
Hanasurf sounds like a name that would be chosen by somebody that A) lives in Maui, and B) knows how to surf, I don't know, but it sounds suspicious.  Is this post really honest?
If not, what's the point?  A weak attempt at humor?
If true, it sounds like you're bragging, bragging about what exactly, poor judgement?  If so you've just been lucky so far, and it would be something that if it was me, I wouldn't be bragging about, but instead doing something about so that I can enjoy my own life in safety.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm a former ocean lifeguard, and I can't figure out the sanity behind this post.
It takes a quiver to do that.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
There is always somebody who will survive the odds of poor judgment.  Also, people lie and men brag in strange ways.

I'd rather be defensive and be able to spend more time out.

Starting from scratch as I did older, it takes a long time to develop all those micro reflexes demanded by changing water conditions/waves, and I am only part way there.

Guys(gals) who have been doing this forever take those micro responses and reflexes for granted, but my experience with endeavors is that I get treated to the royal eff ups up front.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
Hate to bag on you Dude, but seriously; you're taking the word of some chick news reporter on what the coast guard said?  Seriously, you'd better do a fact check, just like that chick should have.  Maybe of course, the news never gets the facts wrong; right?

Fair argument! I was thinking that what was stated seems odd. Like Surf4Food stated, some CG patrollers don't know all of the rules they're enforcing, but PFD rules in CA are fairly strict and enforcement is common, so I can't buy that argument for this particular scenario. One can only hope the statement was misconstrued. Regardless of the CG's response, looking at the rental outfitters FB page speaks volumes. No images or videos of anyone carrying or wearing a PFD and zero leashes. I have no doubt that they had no clue about CA's NMV laws/requirements. I'd bet their insurance company was also clueless. This will be a major life lesson for this outfitter and the family that lost a loved one. RIP
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
Scary that even the USCG doesn't even know their own rules nor CA's NMV laws...

Bag away... I get it all the time:) In fact, I deserve it probably more than I get it. So thanks 8) I think if you really look at the wording " We contacted the coast guard and they said in open water stand up paddlers are required to wear life jackets, but in closed waters areas such as Huntington Harbor they are not." She definitely got her info a little screwed up. It's obviously confusing because the rules don't make sense. The CG probably recited the rules, and let her to summarize. Stand up paddlers don't have to wear life jackets. They just have to have one tied to or sitting on the paddleboard. Or they can wear an manually inflatable pfd, but not inside the surf zone. And maybe not in certain private jurisdictions? The CG does not rule all bodies of water.       
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:16:52 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
I don't understand how people that can't swim can rent a SUP. It blows my mind. The first question I ask people after they book a lesson with me is if they can swim. I know people can lie but if I couldn't swim, the last thing I would want to do is try a new water activity.

I'm 66 yrs old and been paddling since2008. I've had 7 boards and have 3 now I've kept. I can't swim the length of the shortest  board  ;D.  I never go paddling without my leash securely wrapped on my leg. I use a little common sense on when and where to paddle and never had a problem. I've always paddled alone and had no one to teach me how to paddleboard but I've never come close to having a problem on the water... LEASH UP ;)
Hanasurf sounds like a name that would be chosen by somebody that A) lives in Maui, and B) knows how to surf, I don't know, but it sounds suspicious.  Is this post really honest?
If not, what's the point?  A weak attempt at humor?
If true, it sounds like you're bragging, bragging about what exactly, poor judgement?  If so you've just been lucky so far, and it would be something that if it was me, I wouldn't be bragging about, but instead doing something about so that I can enjoy my own life in safety.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'm a former ocean lifeguard, and I can't figure out the sanity behind this post.

Sorry for late reply but been on road all day to Florida to visit my daughter and grandkids. When I tried to register here it kept rejecting me,then I saw a post that said name had be associated with SUP. I had a Pau Hana Big Easy so I used HANA and added SURF...registered.  I live at Outer Banks in NC.wish I could afford Maui ;D I grew up inland on a lake and waterskied(I wear Ski Vest] my whole life but never surfed. I've tried many times to learn to swim but I never have been able too. Doggy paddle for a minute or o but that's it. As a life guard you are probably correct about this not being the best hobby for me. When I was young the life guards at the city pool would not let me jump off the diving board or go in deep end of pool so I quit going to pool. Istill waterskied from 10yrs old to 42 yrs old.  I only tour on SUPs in ICW and rivers and creeks that dump into the ICW here. I do DownBreezers on ICW with my SIC F14 Wide and tour on a Riviera Voyager. Both super stable and i go on nice days. I fell a lot teaching myself to SUP but on these boards I haven't fallen in years but if I do I pull back to me with leash and get back on. I can Doggy Paddle a minute or so but then I will sink ,can't float. I wear a NRS Ninja life jacket when the water gets cold but only then. I guess it's not smart but I love it,I'm 66 and gonna die sometime.....my wife and 2 daughters fuss at me all the time :(  I really wasn't bragging,I was saying I ALWAYS wear my leash and it's worked for me for over 8 years....it will work for anyone that will wear one.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:49:45 PM by HanaSurf »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
Everything goes great on the water, until it doesn't. Leashes break or come undone sometimes. They can snag on something under the water and pull you off your board. You can lose a board on flat water even on a calm day if it shoots away from you or there is current.  I cannot imagine doing any water sport without being a solid swimmer or, at least going with someone that has lifesaving skills, which are not the same thing as simply being able to swim.

Not intending to sound judgemental but I can't read posts about paddling without swimming skills and not react. Hanasurf, go to your nearest Y or health club and make the commitment to learn how to swim. It's a great challenge for yourself. You learned to paddle, why not to swim? My wife did it when she was in her 50's. It really is not too late to learn new skills as we get older. It's good for the brain and the body and it might save your life.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:25:23 AM by covesurfer »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal