Author Topic: Another SUP Death - Huntington Harbor  (Read 14692 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Another SUP Death - Huntington Harbor
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »
Here we go again! Same story... rental board, no life jacket on, and no ability to swim.
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Man-Dies-After-Falling-Off-Paddle-board-in-Huntington-Harbor-435316333.html
RIP
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:10:14 AM by 2Rivers »
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another SUP Death - Huntington Harbor
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
I don't understand how people that can't swim can rent a SUP. It blows my mind. The first question I ask people after they book a lesson with me is if they can swim. I know people can lie but if I couldn't swim, the last thing I would want to do is try a new water activity.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:36:37 AM »
couldn't agree more>  it is an example of  Darwinism at its finest. It is sad to say but what was he thinking? 
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
You do have to wonder what goes through a person's mind, or lack of one, to rent a SUP, not wear a PFD and not know how to swim. However, there are too many half assed, fly-by-night SUP rental companies out there. Leashes and PFD's are must, and a lesson or at the very least a safety briefing.

I was in Aruba this winter windsurfing and kiting at a well known rental place, and even they were renting SUP's out without any regard for renters ability or safety. No leashes. Most of the renters weren't even holding the paddle properly. Not to mention it was blowing 20-30kts offshore. It was painful to watch.

Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »
I don't understand how people that can't swim can rent a SUP. It blows my mind. The first question I ask people after they book a lesson with me is if they can swim. I know people can lie but if I couldn't swim, the last thing I would want to do is try a new water activity.

I'm 66 yrs old and been paddling since2008. I've had 7 boards and have 3 now I've kept. I can't swim the length of the shortest  board  ;D.  I never go paddling without my leash securely wrapped on my leg. I use a little common sense on when and where to paddle and never had a problem. I've always paddled alone and had no one to teach me how to paddleboard but I've never come close to having a problem on the water... LEASH UP ;) 

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »
A picture is a thousand words! The rental outfitter's FB page says it all...
https://m.facebook.com/HuntingtonHarborBoatRentals
Obviously they're clueless to CA's/federal laws for pfds. Hopefully they go out of business as a result of this. No excuse!

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 12:23:31 PM »

I'm 66 yrs old and been paddling since2008. I've had 7 boards and have 3 now I've kept. I can't swim the length of the shortest  board  ;D.  I never go paddling without my leash securely wrapped on my leg. I use a little common sense on when and where to paddle and never had a problem. I've always paddled alone and had no one to teach me how to paddleboard but I've never come close to having a problem on the water... LEASH UP ;)

I think that's great and I wish more people would be as responsible and logical as you. Unfortunately you are the exception in this scenario. I'm curious though, can you not swim at all or are you able to tread water and stay afloat? Have you fallen in and if so, how do you get back to the board if you're not within arms length? Pull the leash? I'm not doubting you, I'm just honestly interested with how you approach this.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »

I'm also 66 but can swim the distances we paddle offshore (less than 2 miles) and of course leashes are a must because none of us never want to swim.  But shit happens and for whatever reason, a leash can break.  It has happened to me and a pal of mine on a downwinder and at least one other friend.  (fair sized surf was involved) So this pic along with my lashed on float for my sunglasses, shows another accessory I wear, my swim goggles.  For salt water and a long swim, it can be a real eye burner without goggles.  Even for you fresh water guys, there's particles in the water that aren't going to work well on your eyes.  Added to the fact that 'seeing' while underwater allows you to relax and swim much better.  I hardly know they're around my neck.  For me, goggles are way more important than a PFD.  Of course if you can't swim you'd better have one.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
If you watch the news cast, at the end the reporter says " We contacted the coast guard and they said in open water stand up paddlers are required to wear life jackets, but in closed waters areas such as Huntington Harbor they are not." ????
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »

I'm also 66 but can swim the distances we paddle offshore (less than 2 miles) and of course leashes are a must because none of us never want to swim.  But shit happens and for whatever reason, a leash can break.  It has happened to me and a pal of mine on a downwinder and at least one other friend.  (fair sized surf was involved) So this pic along with my lashed on float for my sunglasses, shows another accessory I wear, my swim goggles.  For salt water and a long swim, it can be a real eye burner without goggles.  Even for you fresh water guys, there's particles in the water that aren't going to work well on your eyes.  Added to the fact that 'seeing' while underwater allows you to relax and swim much better.  I hardly know they're around my neck.  For me, goggles are way more important than a PFD.  Of course if you can't swim you'd better have one.
Add a snorkel and nose clip to that and I could swim all day....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »

Maybe,,,maybe not. We always assume that we just fall off the board and are forced to swim in. But what happens if you fall off or roll off the board because you are having a problem physically. Cramp, pull or tear a muscle, get knocked in the head, etc. and swimming may not be your first option. It could be just keeping your nose above water is the best you can do.

They being the case I finally decided that having some buoyancy when I hit the water is not a bad idea depending on conditions and distance from shore. So I went with one of these: http://stores.wetsuit.com/buoyancy-impact-vests/  (There was quite a few posts on these things at one time)  It's just enough float to allow you to deal with whatever other issues you may be having but not enough to restrict your motion. In warm water it's not a good choice as I would cook. The waist PFD is great but it's a last resort for me. But that  assumes you are in a state of mind where you can find and pull the cord, then pull it over your head and strap it down.

And yes leashes are important but I sure as shit don't think it's a fail safe method to keep you from drowning.

It's Swim, Leash,Vest and/or PFD if you really want to avoid these drownings as much as possible.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 03:06:28 PM »
If you watch the news cast, at the end the reporter says " We contacted the coast guard and they said in open water stand up paddlers are required to wear life jackets, but in closed waters areas such as Huntington Harbor they are not."
Scary that even the USCG doesn't even know their own rules nor CA's NMV laws. That's probably what they told this rental outfitter, hence why there are no pfds.
Edit: Maybe this harbor is within private property and is not subjected to state and federal laws? Can that be true? You'd think that their insurance company wouldn't support that, but who knows these days.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:29:12 PM by 2Rivers »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 04:22:43 PM »

Maybe,,,maybe not. We always assume that we just fall off the board and are forced to swim in. But what happens if you fall off or roll off the board because you are having a problem physically. Cramp, pull or tear a muscle, get knocked in the head, etc. and swimming may not be your first option. It could be just keeping your nose above water is the best you can do.

They being the case I finally decided that having some buoyancy when I hit the water is not a bad idea depending on conditions and distance from shore. So I went with one of these: http://stores.wetsuit.com/buoyancy-impact-vests/  (There was quite a few posts on these things at one time)  It's just enough float to allow you to deal with whatever other issues you may be having but not enough to restrict your motion. In warm water it's not a good choice as I would cook. The waist PFD is great but it's a last resort for me. But that  assumes you are in a state of mind where you can find and pull the cord, then pull it over your head and strap it down.

And yes leashes are important but I sure as shit don't think it's a fail safe method to keep you from drowning.

It's Swim, Leash,Vest and/or PFD if you really want to avoid these drownings as much as possible.
So in your hypothetical cascade of failure that includes 'Cramp, pull or tear a muscle, get knocked in the head' this must also include a simultaneous breaking of the leash because if any of these things happened and you were still connected to the board, you would obviously stay with the board... like I did when I had an A-fib in '07 paddling
out of Maliko.  That avalanche of events topped off by also breaking your leash would make me feel like I was born under a bad star.  But in a surfing situation I suppose it's very possible.  We're lucky here with water temp.  Cold water would be problematic.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 05:05:32 PM »
Hanasurf, I  strongly suggest  you learn to swim. I'm sure  you  could  find an adult or private instruction .  Besides   SUPing, it would  open  up  a  whole  new  world  to  you .

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 06:18:53 PM »

Flat out stupidity.  While his death is sad and tragic, there is NO excuse at all.  Nada.  I DO think the shop should have at least asked if he can swim, if he's ever paddleboarded before, and make sure he knew to wear a leah and at least have the pfd onboard.  Beyond that, this very much is the victims fault. I know that's harsh but it's true.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal