Author Topic: Gains after a plateau?  (Read 2844 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
Gains after a plateau?
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »
Have any of you who have been training long enough to hit a plateau in race performance ever experienced a significant, post-plateau improvement? If so, to what could you attribute the breakthrough? New gear, new skill, new workout program?
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Kwolfe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gains after a plateau?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:39:59 AM »
I guess it really depends on where you are all with all the above.  When I started surfsking, I had an Epic V8 (novice ski, I still have it for winter paddling).  Within a year or so I moved up to an elite ski.  Balance aside, I'm flat out fast in that boat cause it's slimmer and designed for speed.

The same can be said for SUP.  I started with a Naish Glide and now have a SB Allstar.  I'm faster in the SB just because of the design.

If you have a fast SUP and good technique, you may simply need to switch up your training.  Throw in some weights,  interval training which includes 1/4 sprints and running.  Problem is, we never seem to get an two nailed down so well that it only leaves the third to work on. 

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »
Have any of you who have been training long enough to hit a plateau in race performance ever experienced a significant, post-plateau improvement? If so, to what could you attribute the breakthrough? New gear, new skill, new workout program?

I hit a plateau in race performance once I moved back to New England but I also experienced a significant improvement in my golf game, go figure.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »

The way to break a plateau is to change the stimulus. Apply volume, allow for supercompensation, rinse, repeat.

I broke a plateau by incrementally increasing [quality] training volume. I use WKO4 software to accurately measure the impact of both my SUP and bike training.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal