Author Topic: My 1st vids on the 8'10 Sunova Flow  (Read 9858 times)

supthecreek

My 1st vids on the 8'10 Sunova Flow
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:14:55 AM »
I got this board in mid winter, so in full winter gear I was totalling out at over 250 Lbs (115 kg)
With a volume at 131 liters, I was basically at a ratio of 1.0

As a result, I really didn't get to surf much it till I moved to a 3/2 wetsuit (1st couple of waves)
It was very doable in the 3/2.... probably because the 3/2 is so much less restrictive to me.

But to really ride it, I started trunking it in May, when everyone else was still in full suits  ;D

My favorite board for the past year has been my 9'4 Acid, but as winter arrived, I simply couldn't ride it without a struggle, it in any kind of wetsuit.
The 8'10 Flow, with 5 liters less volume is MUCH more stable.
Since it is 5" shorter than my Acid, it is a bit snappier, so it immediately replace my 9'4 Acid as my goto performance board.
I find this smaller Flow as a much different ride from my 9'2 Flow, which I sold on.

This 8'10 is a full on ripper.... super stoked to get some waves and get back on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6enkEohYA

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: My 1st vids on the 8'10 Sunova Flow
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 07:24:35 AM »
Nice! I watched that with my girls. We all really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 07:50:30 AM »
I have been neglecting my 8.7 Flow in lieu of 8.10 Speeed and 9.3 Hammer.  Hammer has made me feel like a balance and stepping king for a bit, so I have been indulging the joy for the last month.  Hammer also turns great for it's size and the full tail means I can basically ride the back for buoy turns and tail turns while staying stable.  I am also starting to do a bit of silly stunt work on Hammer.

Flow would be good for low tide, calm dawn patrol with 3+ foot groundswells, but the convergence of conditions has eluded me between working on my house in Pleasanton and my times in Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz has been a lot of flat for the past couple of weeks with a few sneaker wave days, which isn't  abnormal for the time of year.  I keep reminding myself to take Flow out, and will have to do it soon.  My balance has been improving since I have ditched the restrictive impact vest. I also had a terrible stomach flu about a month ago, and since then lost about 8 pounds, better for Flow with a total wet weight of 230 or so.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
@supthecreek

Another fine video by you. Always enjoy watching your videos. Like your narrative and the specs of the board you're riding. Your buddies with you had a good time riding those waves too.

Now you know I have an eye for details  and I'll just make this comment.........................."nice legs".  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:14:18 AM »
You noticed his legs too? I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
Nice one Flow rider!  That board is real loose.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »
I also had a terrible stomach flu about a month ago, and since then lost about 8 pounds, better for Flow with a total wet weight of 230 or so.

No need for floatier boards, you just need a good case of salmonella.

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »
ha ha... thanks, I'm glad my legs still work at all :)

Yeah, J... it is aptly named, it has a nice Flow to it and is really loose!

I could use a good case of salmonella myself. Struggling to get back on track... good food is just so damn.... good, and it is summer afterall  ;)

I am looking forward to a good session with my Flow and bigger "Creek"... I am really interested how they will compliment each other  in a head to head. Been under 2' for weeks.... but another beautifully glassy summer slider session today!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
SCheat, I too have the 8'7 flow and 8'10 speed. The Speed is my go to board but I do love the Flow and want to ride it more than I have lately. My problem is not my weight, its our lack of surf and the flow has been gathering dust. The Speed will catch and ride anything, big or small. I like the flow in waves with a bit of push, they don't have to be big, just have some punch to them. Can't remember when that last happened.

Creek, another great video.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 05:46:08 PM »
I have the came combo, and ride them for similar reasons. Knee to thigh high I ride the 8'10" Speeed, because it will catch the small stuff easily, I can have fun walking up to the nose on little knee high walls, and it generates speed when there is very little to work with. Once it is big enough to produce some juice and start making the turns more vertical (anything from waist high up), I start riding the Flow to take advantage of tight bottom turns off the front foot short board style, and the looseness. If the faces get much over 8 feet and its kind of nasty, then I start considering the Speeed again for the paddling speed to get outside sneaker sets, paddling speed to get into big drops early, the narrower outline for big drops, and speed down the line to get out of trouble. 8' and clean, I would still go with the Flow.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:07 AM »
Agreed with Tom and Nalu.  I've been using my 8'10" Speed in Summer small surf and it's a fun board that can even be ridden on the Nose at times.  My 8'4" Flow gets dusted off when it's big and clean - basically once Summer ends...  though I've been wanting to get back on it just to mix it up a little now that I'm in boardshorts rather than rubber.  I also need to lose a couple more pounds so it's a little more stable for me. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
Nice video Rick although I do miss the beach video perspective.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
Nice video Rick although I do miss the beach video perspective.

I agree.... I also wish I had an alternative view, but I've been waiting on the Soloshot3 since I ran over my "Beach Cam"

On the other hand, the "Kook Hat Cam" is so easy, it's like not having a camera at all  :)

I rode the Flow today, when I swapped out with my buddy who was riding it.... nice to be back on it!

jjma

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »
Are everyone using the stock fins in their flows?

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
Also interested in hearing what people are using.  I'm using standard FCS G-X Sidebites (smaller than stock sunovas) with the stock center fin but I'm certainly no Fin expert so I'm interested in hearing from others and especially Rick.  I've only been surfing my 8'4" Flow in clean steep overhead mid-long period surf out in Long Island. 

Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal