Author Topic: Shark signs at Dogeny  (Read 4058 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shark signs at Dogeny
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
Went for a surf this morning at DoHo and found this at the base of the hammer.  Didn't seem to keep anyone out of the water.

Weird, the pic is right side up on my computer, but the forum is rotating it.  Can't get it to stop, tried a couple of times.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:54:37 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Shark signs at Dogeny
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:43 AM »
So now are the lifeguards using their blow horns to say "sweepers, stay east of the hammer"?
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:04:29 AM »
double weird because on my iPhone  it  is the right and on my computer it is not..  so  did  you see any sharks?  why would they come into doheny ?  is there shark found there besides the proners?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »
I think the sign is just to keep the 'inland non-swimmers' out of the water during the high surf and riptides we are having. It's over a 100 deg inland, so everyone from LA is headed to the beach. They had over 600 rescues last weekend. I just checked Doho from the lookout by my house, and it looks like it's pump'n. There's a good hundred plus people out in the line up.

Is Dogeny sort of a mix of DogPatch and Doheny? Freudian slip. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »
I always find it so lame for the powers that be go around chasing shark sightings, thanks to drones, and everybody with cameras on their phones, along with the media stoking the fears.
A whole lot of time and effort could be saved if they just put up a sign like this at ALL beaches.
Patrolled by:
It takes a quiver to do that.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
The signs are there because there are sharks hanging out.   My friends and I have seen a couple and then there's this one ...

Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
I think the sign is just to keep the 'inland non-swimmers' out of the water during the high surf and riptides we are having. It's over a 100 deg inland, so everyone from LA is headed to the beach. They had over 600 rescues last weekend. I just checked Doho from the lookout by my house, and it looks like it's pump'n. There's a good hundred plus people out in the line up.

Is Dogeny sort of a mix of DogPatch and Doheny? Freudian slip. 

LOL! "Dogheny" was a typo and an accident, but it's kind of funny. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
The signs are there because there are sharks hanging out.   My friends and I have seen a couple and then there's this one ...

Pretty fun looking righthander in front of the shark.  Would you take off on it knowing what was in the water with you?

We saw a guy on a tiny board out there and though it was you until we saw him closer.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:26:05 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »
Good time for a bigger board. I've given up on saying how phobic the general reaction to sharks is. My oldest daughter runs screaming from spiders, I haven't been able to talk her out of even that. People are just nuts.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »

Pretty fun looking righthander in front of the shark.  Would you take off on it knowing what was in the water with you?

We saw a guy on a tiny board out there and though it was you until we saw him closer.

I'll be honest, there are some days recently where I have been really spooked but the sharks seem to be leaving the surfers alone.  A couple of weeks ago a big fish jumped out of the water and was promptly snatched up by a great white.  I have changed my surfing habits.  I used to be one of the first guys in the water (still dark out), not anymore. 
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
`lets be realistic  taste tests do happen just think of th mom  at san O a few weeks back. But I don't understand why they  are now hanging out at doheny and in the bay   is the food source increasing?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Josh

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
I don't think anyone cared about the warning sign especially with the nice swell we had. SUS from 6:30p till dark on Wednesday at DoHo and it was crowded. Woke up really early the next morning to get in the water a little after 5am to prone surf my longboard at the outside boiler rocks because we still had some swell. Was a little spooky being out there that early having the legs dangling in the water but the waves were to good to pass up the opportunity to surf with no crowd.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »
Sharks actually don't particularly care for the taste of human blood. That's why you don't see people EATEN, only bitten so that's more comforting, right?
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
Sharks actually don't particularly care for the taste of human blood. That's why you don't see people EATEN, only bitten so that's more comforting, right?

Unless the person ate a Snickers.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP0tvc-EKCo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal