Author Topic: How to resize your pictures and post them to the zone - the Tutorial  (Read 7397 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hopefully this will make sense to those of you who are having trouble with how to resize and post your pictures on the zone.

When I take a picture with my Canon DSLR, the picture ends up about 10 MB. So it's 10 times too big to post on the Zone. My cell phone pictures are about 2 to 3 MB, so still too big to post on the Zone. The most straight forward way to reduce the size of the photo is by reducing the Pixels. A 5 to 10 MB photo (in a .jpg compression format) is usually around 5200 x 3500 pixels in 'Landscape' orientation or 3500 x 5200 pixels in a 'Vertical' orientation on my Canon DSLR. To post it on the Zone, I'll change that to 640 x 480 pixels (or 480 x 640 depending on the orientation)  just so it fits nice on the posting page. So  600 x 400 , 640 x 480, and up to 1200 x 800 are the Pixel range that will get your photos under 1 MB.

I also included a short Mac version..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:23:40 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

Wow.... glad I have a Mac....
select "Export" from the file menu
slide the size bar to under 1,000 kb
select "desktop" as the location 
hit "save"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
You're right Creek! For pictures, Mac's are easier, but I'm a windows guy. We windows people like doing things the hard way.
 When I shoot my son's basketball tournaments, I'm in rapid fire mode. I'll take easily 400+ photos in RAW format in one day. Then I have to do post (editing) work on the keepers, and convert them to .jpg files. So I may have 80 good ones. There is no way I'm going to resize all of them to email or post on some forum. I can upload all 80 of the photos, full size to Flickr, all at once. Then the parents and players can view and download the higher quality pictures from there. I just send out a group email letting them know I posted them, and provide a link.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:27:34 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
For mac just dump into iphoto and export what you need at small or med.  Super simplified.  For ios that needs a simple app to load into then export out downsized.  Both work fast and easy.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
For large numbers, simple photo editor batch files. Even most of the freebie or light versions of software have it.  For one off grabs...double click to open it in photo viewer,  then use the snipping tool to create a screen grab...zoomed and cropped if you want (I keep the snipping tool in my toolbar)....save it with a descriptive name to a folder on my desktop for zone photos. Took all of 10 seconds to grab and save this. From 6,800 Kb to 83 Kb. This basically takes photos of whatever resolution and reduces them to 96 DPI. The 1st screen grab is cropped, 2nd is full size, 3rd is zoomed and cropped...all quick and easy....and small sized.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:31:54 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
snipping-tool-is-handy-for-grabbing-from-the-web-too...... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Thanks Dude.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
@TallDude

Your tutorials are nice. But they're for Windows and Mac. Unfortunately for me, I'm running Linux. But now that I know that 1200 x 800 and 640 x 480 should work, I just have to resize my photos to these sizes and then put them in a different folder specifically to be used for the Zone site.

Thanks for your detailed info. It is much appreciated by me.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
I use Photoshop but this Git project seems to work well:

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I don't install image resizer programs since most of them are for Windows or Mac computers. I mainly use linux so I use an online image resizer instead. This way I can resize an image (photo) to any customize size I want and then save the resized photo to a folder in my Pictures library in linux Mint.

The image resizer I use for linux (and windows) is named, "Web Resizer". The link for it is below.

http://webresizer.com/resizer/
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
@TallDude

When I was in my Windows 7 hard drive, I followed your tutorial to resize a photo I wanted to post in my message here from my Pictures library, but right at the end, instead of clicking on the Post button, I clicked on the Preview button and in the Preview the photo does not show up. So I didn't click on the Post button thinking since the photo didn't show up in the Preview, it wouldn't show up if I clicked on the Post button.

And I got the same result when I was using linux Mint. Should I just hit the Post button instead of the Preview button?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
NW,
The photos don't show in Preview. In fact, I don't even use preview. If you do fancy text stuff it shows up in Preview, but that's about all I can think it's used for.
It's not overhead to me!

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Well, I'm going to try one from my Pictures library which includes some photos in a subfolder from my deleted Photobucket account. I'm sure the size is correct since it is a 640 x 480 pixel photo with a size of 51.7 Kb's. A photo from Chocolate Bayou in winter with a very rare snowfall. This will be from my linux Mint hard drive.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
One more for luck from my kayaking days. The licensed female kayaking guide out of Tampa, Florida whose name is Chrystal Murray.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How to resize your pictures and post them to the zone - the Tutorial
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
Image Resizer app works perfectly on my Windows 10  Alcatel Phone which replaced my no no Nokia..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal