Author Topic: Strange Magic  (Read 7041 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Magic
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 04:12:35 PM »
The F16 is popular here because of the stability and upturned nose for steep wave action.  But I prefer the 17.4 for DW even in our short period waves.

"Now take most of the wind away and a Bullet becomes 17.4 feet of misery"

On flat I thought it was ok.  But upwind and especially crosswind it was terrible trying to control the nose even with full rudder.  Was inching along while guys on 14s blasted by me.  But once that was over the 17.4 took off like a freight train DW.  As noted - feels like royalty compared to puny 14s.  Oddly the rush of wind disappears and the board just hauls ass.  Only got it to plane once as conditions were steep and sticky.  But was major fun anyways in a serene way.  Only the dealer who rides almost every day was ahead on his F16.  Simply could not catch him as his technique and timing are spot on.  He would drop down into a wave and just scoot off.  So was somewhat frustrating but quite ok for a noob on UL.  If he took my offer to buy that 17.4 on the spot instead of waiting till the season was over -> would be in my quiver right now.  Is ok tho as the 23 has taken up most of my SUP time since getting it.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
First: I've paddled a lot of F16s. I still own two of them. If you have the option, hollow is better. So that means any F16 for which there is a mold, is preferable to one made of EPS unless you view your boards as disposable. Feel, resonance, alignment of the stars, and other feely stuff aside, if you get water in a hollow board you can pour it out, if that happens with an EPS board you can only get part of it out. So EPS boards get heavier, and then one end or the other is heavier and you bounce it on the ground when you're loading it, and you get a crack, and you get more water. Downward spiral.

I really like my 17.4 V1 Bullet here in Hood River, but it's a production EPS board, so I view it as having a limited lifespan. Longer than I expected, I've been beating on it for three years now, but it's a porker.

So versions aside, if you're considering one, and you're anywhere near Maui, stick with what Mark has actually made a mold for.

Second: Mark knocked the ball out of the park with F16 version one. The same as he did with the 17 Bullet. The other boards are a little faster, but they don't seem as versatile to me. I've paddled the other boards, I paddled Jack Dysons's magic custom F16 (damned good), but if I were going to buy one today, it would be a hollow V1. Works everywhere.

As a caveat, I am 230 pounds and unlikely to get a lot lighter (especially if I keep cooking massive barbecues for folks like I did tonight). What I like is a board that goes where I want it to, responds when I whip it, and saves me when I do something stupid. the V1 F16 does that in spades.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »
Does anyone have experience to share comparing: the production F16 v2, a custom ultralight F16 v2, and a custom ultralight F16 v3 (narrower).

Hi Nalu-sup, I've had a custom V3 for several years and rode a V2 non-custom a while back.  It is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison because my skill level was a bit lower when I rode the V2.  That being said, I think the V3 is essentially a better version of the same board.  It will feel the same in many ways but is just a bit better in every way.  I weigh 185-195 depending on the time of year and find it to be very, very stable. Perhaps it is slightly less forgiving than the V2 but barely so. It is a bit more slippery on the water and requires less work to get into swells.  It also carves left and right with  more ease. 

The one major shortcoming of the V3 is that it is perfectly designed to fly away.  Even in mild winds, relative to other boards, it is unsafe to leave the board unattended even for a second.  Putting it on the car in high winds is typically sketchy.  It is a miracle that I haven't destroyed mine yet.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
Does anyone have experience to share comparing: the production F16 v2, a custom ultralight F16 v2, and a custom ultralight F16 v3 (narrower).

Hi Nalu-sup, I've had a custom V3 for several years and rode a V2 non-custom a while back.  It is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison because my skill level was a bit lower when I rode the V2.  That being said, I think the V3 is essentially a better version of the same board.  It will feel the same in many ways but is just a bit better in every way.  I weigh 185-195 depending on the time of year and find it to be very, very stable. Perhaps it is slightly less forgiving than the V2 but barely so. It is a bit more slippery on the water and requires less work to get into swells.  It also carves left and right with  more ease. 

The one major shortcoming of the V3 is that it is perfectly designed to fly away.  Even in mild winds, relative to other boards, it is unsafe to leave the board unattended even for a second.  Putting it on the car in high winds is typically sketchy.  It is a miracle that I haven't destroyed mine yet.

That's sounds exactly like what I thought the V3 would feel like. Thanks for confirming.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 08:20:30 PM »

Ah, yes. I forgot about that. I've noticed that when an errant gust hits that all the Bullets and other brands are blowing all over the place, the F16's stay put. The exception was Tracey Dudley's F16 that blew off a truck prior to a Maliko run a few zillion years ago. Her then boyfriend was borrowing it. I don't think that ended well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »

I wish you had any first hand experience with the F16V3, especially you Gregg as you are
more my size. And saying you're fat is a real stretch, you're like 20LBS lighter than me and
I doubt any one will call me fat either.

I used to race bicycles. That sport favors the obsessive/compulsive personality and most bike racers are ridiculously skinny. I was about 15 to 20 pounds lighter when I was still racing. I stopped bike racing about five years ago. Compared to then, I feel pretty chunky these days. I have a solid relationship with ice cream that I work hard at. In other words, I try and spend time with ice cream every day. ;D

I believe my last hollow F16 was a V3. I think it was 26" wide vs. 26.5"? It was very light. The board was fast and fun in a variety of conditions. But, it was not as confidence inspiring as the Bullet 17. I used to fall more on my F16 than I do on the Bullet.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 07:49:42 AM »
...But, it was not as confidence inspiring as the Bullet 17. I used to fall more on my F16 than I do on the Bullet.

But that was probably sometime ago? Before you were leaving scorch marks on the Maliko
trail with your Bullet. I wonder how would you do on it these days.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal