Author Topic: Go Foil Session #3 Prone Kalama Shape  (Read 3197 times)

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
Go Foil Session #3 Prone Kalama Shape
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »
This is my 3rd session foiling.  The first was on CP's SUP 7'4" without the straps, no paddle.  Prone style.  Session 2 and 3 were on one of DK's new 6'4" prototype shortboard, no straps.  All on the Maliko foil as the surf was small and I'm about 210lbs. 

Dave, Junya, and Chris I'd go SUP surf all the time for years.  This winter they all started foiling, I didn't see them anymore.  I put off foiling for months, and now I'm all in.  Selling a few boards I don't ride much to help pay for the new toys. :o

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:09:23 AM by DailyBread Surf Photo »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Go Foil Session #3 Prone Kalama Shape
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
Nice, you are doing well for your third session!  Welcome to the club, haha.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 08:31:59 AM »
Nice, you are doing well for your third session!  Welcome to the club, haha.

THanks BP, it's a curse now.  All I do is think about spots here on Maui that would be good foil waves.  Definately a way to get away from crowds. :o

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Hey man, can you speak to the pop up? How does it compare to a regular board? Do you pop as it's taking off, or are you up before you are on foil?

You'll see in another thread that not everyone shares your desire to be alone. ;)

Great work man!

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
Hey man, can you speak to the pop up? How does it compare to a regular board? Do you pop as it's taking off, or are you up before you are on foil?

You'll see in another thread that not everyone shares your desire to be alone. ;)

Great work man!

Getting up is about the same as a regular board.  Difference being it's easier to catch a wave with the foil as it's tapping the energy below the surface, not just the board planing.  I'm getting to my feet before the board gets outa the water, I get up as soon as I feel I'm on the wave.  But you have to put your feet in the right spot the first time, there's no time to reset your foot placement.  Times when I knew it was in the wrong spot I'd just eject and not try to fight it.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »
Thanks man. i hadn't thought about the foil catching the wave down under the water. That's cool.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal