Author Topic: [double] race foils  (Read 4978 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
[double] race foils
« on: July 09, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: [double] race foils
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »
Interesting. But is he actually going any faster than he would on a normal race SUP? The difference isn't immediately apparent.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
Seems like the four vertical supports might create more drag than just two vertical supports would. But it does look like he's foiling in flat water with less effort than it would take to foil a "traditional" sup foil in flat water.

Still, the best-working human powered hydrofoil watercraft that I've seen are the awkward "aquaskipper" things that you power by bouncing up and down, and some pedal-drive kayak-like craft like the ones that have set the short-distance speed records for human powered watercraft. There are some interesting youtube video compilations on this channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJ6SBbOXJhGFokAMwjEcsw

The thing that's cool about the aquaskipper is how the forward drive comes from the movements of the same foils that provide the lift, and not from a separate water-pusher like a paddle or a propeller. That seems nicely efficient, like how birds and porpoises move. And maybe the next gadget will be some kind of blend of something like the Hovie Mirage Eclipse with the Aquaskipper. Something that you could pump along slowly in displacement mode, but also pop up on the foils when you wanted. Maybe the missing piece is some kind of efficient semi-flexible "porpoise tail" drive.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
Geezer foil will beat this. ;)

I'd say that you are on to something with the aquaskipper idea.  Note all that wasted energy from the hop that he's doing to keep it going. There has to be a way to reclaim that extra energy.

This makes me winded just looking at it. Distance paddlers/ flatwater racers blow my mind.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:44:50 PM by surfcowboy »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:26 PM »
Normally I'd be a little skeptical about this, but Eric Terrien is the real deal. Top notch old school racer. That just proves it can be done, and will just get better. Maybe 8 or 10 smaller / thinner foils? A longer paddle might have helped?

I found this Thread on a boat forum about foils. The further you go into it, the insightful it gets.  https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/sailing-foiler-design-foil-assist-and-full-flying.40894/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:31:28 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:49:12 AM »
It doesn't show him switching paddle sides.... I wonder if it falls off plane when the paddling is interrupted for a second.... and would it take a lot to get it to fly again, or just a stroke or two?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:47:13 AM »
I'll take one of each please.

PS: I think I overpaid for my GoFoil.  I am starting to believe anyone could wrap a foil around a chicken bone and it will fly. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:55:49 AM by Beasho »

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
yup it really is that simple

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal