Author Topic: It's not the foil, it's the paddle - foils in LA County  (Read 4331 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
It's not the foil, it's the paddle - foils in LA County
« on: July 09, 2017, 08:17:22 AM »
Well, the cherry is popped. Saw a short board prone on a foil at Malibu yesterday with like 100 people out, on a Saturday afternoon!

No one died and no one said a thing (I'm sure he was a local but didn't get to see him up close. So if you're wondering, it's official. Paddles and big boards are far more dangerous than foils. ;)

Don't take the bait, I'm trolling you all. But it was cool to see even if I might not have done that myself.

The truth is, like most things, I believe it's the pilot, not the craft and most people are unable to honestly judge their skills. I was probably way more dangerous on a longboard when learning than that guy on a foil. It took me a couple of years to figure out how dangerous I was in waves of a certain size, and then, by the time I knew, I was no longer unsafe.

Funny how it seemed that more people dropped in on my wavestorm than his foil. I can't understand it. Hahahahaaaa, I doubt this is a trend so I was glad to catch it.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: It's not the foil, it's the paddle - foils in LA County
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:37:13 AM »
I'm staying away from people.

But I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by how in control I am, and how not dangerous, it has turned out to be.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »
That is cool and quite terrifying at the same time.  Malibu is such a shit show.  I've never hit anyone with my Sup can't imagine why it would change with a foil on it.  I have no intention of foiling around others for the near future.  I want to be completely in control and confident with my abilities.  I really see no reason why I would need to anyway.  Hopping this new equipment will get me even more away from the crowds. 
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
Me too guys. Just reporting. That's really driving my interest. Even right in town there are some places that "almost break" or don't break at high tide that would be wide open for hours at a time. Crazy to think of surfing alone in plain view of PCH.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:19:22 PM »
"most people are unable to honestly judge their skills". Well I sure hope you are right surfcowboy. Because I judge my skills to be absolute sh*t :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 09:02:57 PM »
Ha!

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 05:48:48 AM »
It's the individual's skill that makes the difference.  There have been a few foilers out in Ventura recently.  Was surfing the other day and saw what I thought was a guy on a short board paddling for a wave in a bit of a distance.  I figured the wave would break before he got to me so I dropped in and the next thing I knew he was coming up behind me so I pulled out--holy smokes that thing moves fast!  On the way back out we were chatting and he let me know that he makes the foils (Pelican) and has been foiling for 2 years and has good control so feel free to take any wave I like and he can work around me--was super cool and I felt totally safe surfing with him. 

On the other hand there seems to be a couple of new foilers that have no problem going out when it is very crowded even during the weekend.  They seem to position themselves in the middle of the lineup and paddle between folks for waves which has been scary--one even wears an impact vest which causes us to question why they don't work from edge where it is emptier since we don't have impact vests!  Haven't seen them lift and ride more than a few feet yet...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »
805, totally agree. I was just laughing at how the rules go out the window if you are ballsy enough to show up and be good.

The Pelican stuff looks good. Glad there's a local product out there.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 02:39:46 PM »
Yes--like when Laird shows up in Malibu!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
Right? He broke a guy's arm with his board last time and no one said a word!

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »
Really? Yikes!  Well..he has saved many people in the surf too so maybe this balances out the Karmic equation a bit.  The King's Surf Foil might be the other local product...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal