Author Topic: Ideal # of times per week to do a strength training exercise?  (Read 6064 times)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
I've learned three basic strength training exercises that I'm trying to do more regularly now to get fitter for SUP racing- Squats, Deadlift, and Overhead Press. I also do pushups and pullups, but those are more high-rep / less intense exercises that don't quite fit in the same category. I'm wondering what are the minimum and the ideal numbers of times per week to repeat each of the "big three" strength training exercises. Would once per week do it? Like squats Monday, press Wednesday, deadlift Friday do the trick? Or would I want to stack them closer together to repeat each exercise like twice a week? It may be moot, because once per exercise per week is probably all that I'll realistically get done, especially once I get busier with teaching in the fall.

Thanks. 
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal # of times per week to do a strength training exercise?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
"I'm in the gym and run a couple times a week. I believe gym helps with total body strength and developing my anaerobic system. Running on the other hand helps with my aerobic capacity and conditioning. I believe that I have worked out exactly what my body needs to perform and have the perfect program for me!

http://www.supconnect.com/sup-profiles-stand-up-paddle-board-industry/10-questions-with-aussie-sup-race-dark-horse-michael-booth

A couple times a week is what I have been doing.  Squats really help my leg strength varying from super heavy partials to pause ATG.  Also add in run sprint intervals and steep bike hill climbs.  Fitness and power have increased quite a bit while cutting fat off my legs.  Helps my legs from wimping out on long DW runs and quick upwind DW paddles.  But best to do what works for you and your specific goals.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 12:28:25 AM »
I'm partially a competitve cyclist (so i do it anyway) but i find cycling crosses over really well to SUP.

In addition, to convert press ups to something useful, I do weighted pressups using a rucksack that has a 20kg plate in it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »
When I was working and had minimal time for exercise I worried that I was getting only lower body work (cycling every day, rollerblading, skiing, and working out with a trainer). Now that I'm retired I seem to get only upper body--paddling--though arguably paddling is somewhat whole body. This topic is of interest to me, because I want to add some balance. My thighs are shrinking to the point that the skin is getting loose--yuck. I know some of it is my bad knee, but I need to build an exercise routine that combats my aging. I'm building a routine based on Susie Cooney's book, plus the Triatheletes Training Bible, and I'll finish reading the Michael Booth article.

But I'd like to see some detailed advice here.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
I asked Mark Athanacio my sup training coach the same question I posted here, and he said hitting each of the three major strength exercises once a week would be fine for me. But he also said that a lot depends on age, genetics, your other training activities, your goals, etc. So it would probably be best to get a personal consult from a good trainer rather than just going by the "each lift once a week" rule of thumb that I'm using.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

natas585

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 11:35:45 AM »
Training, like nutrition, is a very individual thing. So there are no absolutes. But you can refer to the science and get a good idea of what to use for yourself.  We know that a variety of whole foods is usually better than one that lacks certain macronutrients and is mostly processed. Just like the amounts of certain macros needed are varied by the individual and their needs. So too is training.  Train to your age, genetics, needs, and time available. If all you're looking for is to hit the baseline health markers to survive with limited illness then once a week exercise to failure will do it. Science shows that it could work. If you want to maintain those same things plus a better body composition, then twice a week. If you want to affect a change in your current health, fitness, and body composition, then 3-4 times a week are probably needed.  Don't train like a bodybuilder, isolation exercises, unless you plan on competing as a body builder or muscle hypertrophy is your goal.  If time is an issue, or you'd prefer to have free time to do things other than train, try the following.  Strength Training. Not circuit, not P90 x or something similar, not dragging an anchor behind your board. Strength training. Pick up a barbell or something similar and train. Not exercise. Know the difference.  Get out of the mindset of training as hard as you can and into the mindset of training as hard as you need to. If you are training you will have a plan. There are meso and micro cycles you can follow to attain strength for the rest of your life. Hire a coach, use trial and error, measure progress, all of this will keep you from becoming bored with your training. I prefer to get the most from the least. So I will use the big 3, squat, deadlift, press. Throw in some gymnastic style body weight stuff. Move in different planes than you are used to and move often.  I train them once per week, so 3 strictly strength workouts, 2-3 skill/metabolic workouts, 2-4 sport specific workouts.  Unless it is a time trial no workout of any kind lasts more than 30 minutes.
Strength and Conditioning Coach
Fins Unlimited
Island Water Sports
Encinitas Surfboards

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
I guess I could eat some of my own cooking. I shot these videos and built this website for Dave Kalama a few years ago. We had some commercial ideas but got busy with other stuff. Some of the videos don't work--they're hosted on Videopress which is a video serving platform that I stopped paying for years ago. I'm surprised that any of them work but most seem to. With Chris P. and Sonni Honschied.

http://www.watermanworkout.com/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:14:15 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »
"i find cycling crosses over really well to SUP"

Yeah like cycling for quads and cardio going up short climbs keeping time under 30 min.  Plus the descents are major fun.  Run sprints just for the fun speed aspect.  Despised both before but like them as legs are leaning out and def have way more power.  Thought before my legs were strong but fact is they were pretty fatty and weak.  On the right track now.  Also liking Strava for KOM splits and auto syncing.

For weights like squats and DL with bench and OH and curls etc.  Hangs like PU and MU for quick power hits and WW for obliques.  But major thing is not to get bored so always mix it up with SUP for balance training.  Each person has their own goals and starting point -> so should really think out the best plan to get the results you want in the timeframe you want.  So far mixing up like this is working ok.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
There is no way to answer this as there are too many factors. You have to consider volume (how many sets per session), intensity (how hard you're training) and recoverable volume. Other exercise regimens also come into play that will determine recovery such as how much paddling, etc. THEN you have sleep and diet.

The best way to go about it is do 1 day a week along with your other activities. If that is no problem bump it to 2. If you're still feeling good shoot for 3. If you work out and your strength is sub par that day there's a good chance that you need longer to recover so dial it down a day.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 03:05:59 PM »
"I'm building a routine based on Susie Cooney's book".......if I could afford it (and my wife would let me) I'd skip the book and head right to Maui to train WITH Susie :)............
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »
I've learned three basic strength training exercises that I'm trying to do more regularly now to get fitter for SUP racing- Squats, Deadlift, and Overhead Press. I also do pushups and pullups, but those are more high-rep / less intense exercises that don't quite fit in the same category. I'm wondering what are the minimum and the ideal numbers of times per week to repeat each of the "big three" strength training exercises. Would once per week do it? Like squats Monday, press Wednesday, deadlift Friday do the trick? Or would I want to stack them closer together to repeat each exercise like twice a week? It may be moot, because once per exercise per week is probably all that I'll realistically get done, especially once I get busier with teaching in the fall.

Thanks.

I did all three of those exercises (alternating overhead press with bench press every other workout) mon/wed/fri during the offseason the year before last and made significant gains in strength. After not lifting at all during paddling season, I was back to square one by last fall. I did the same workout Tues/Fri during the offseason last year and regained about the same amount of strength.

Twice a week fit my schedule better, and the extra rest days between workouts probably helped with recovery more than they hurt in lost workouts.  I've read that even one resistance workout a week is sufficient to maintain strength, but I don't know how effective that would be for building strength.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:55:38 PM »
I'm moving, does that count?  Shirley has a lions share of stuff and I lift it, usually in the wrong way. 

Other than that I've given up.  I just go on runs and suffer the next day.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal