Author Topic: Windfoiling  (Read 24126 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Windfoiling
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
Just spent a couple of days of windfoiling at the lake on the 7'6" Mallet...it's a keeper...

The 7'6" Mallet with the Kai GoFoil worked really well in the challenging conditions...felt really balanced in high winds with a 4.7m2 sail...could have been on a 4.2m2...fun part of the learning curve...more progression with every session...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2018, 04:08:00 AM »
Hi I thought I would revive an old thread here to ask a question.  I'm trying to get some feedback on the setup I see here where the foil mounts to the windsurf board in a more forward position, as opposed to at the very back of the board in the windsurfer fin location. 

I expect that the forward mount that I have seen here has a bit more of a pivoty feel.  But I also note that Naish makes a crossover for SUP and windfoiling which has this more forward mount, with a shorter front fuselage used on the actual foil.  On the other hand, the vast majority of windfoils use a rear mount location.  I expect that gives a more traditional feel, but it seems that the forces on the finbox and on the front of the fuselage must be much higher. 

Structurally it seems that the forward mount makes sense, but for a windsurf type feel, I can't help but to think that the more rearward mount would feel better.  Does anyone have any firsthand experience with that?

Thanks,
Peter

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »
All depends if you only want to use the board to go back & forth with a sail on it...and, be more in a locked in position over the tail...or, if you want to use it for a multi-sport crossover experience...SUP...surf SUP...windSUP...windfoil...surf SUP foil...etc...

I prefer to have the options that my Mallet and Hammer designs offer...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2018, 03:38:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Other than having the option for more sports, would you say there is a drastically different feel, or is it only a slightly different feel?  I assume from the pictures of the Horue foil that you have also ridden a more traditional windsurf setup(?)

Thanks,
Peter

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2018, 04:56:28 AM »
It’s how the foil under the board was designed that dictates where it works best under the board.

The latest trend is to use SURF foils under windsurf boards. These surf foils, GoFoil, Naish, etc. are capable of lifting at much lower speeds.

Windsurf foils are designed with extra long fuselages to put the front wing in the right spot, between your legs. Surf foils do not have these extra long fuselages, so they need to be mounted forward.

All these details favor track mounts in my opinion. Getting the foil in the right spot for you, or your foot straps, is much easier.

GoFoil has a windsurf specific fuselage in development. So plug and play may be coming for regular windsurf boards.

Naish has a new quick disconnect track mount that makes Tuttle mounts obsolete in my opinion. I’m sure more quick connect plate mounts are coming from many brands.

This is a surf wing mounted forward.
https://instagram.com/p/BjaskfeA_J0/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:01:57 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2018, 08:40:20 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Other than having the option for more sports, would you say there is a drastically different feel, or is it only a slightly different feel?  I assume from the pictures of the Horue foil that you have also ridden a more traditional windsurf setup(?)

Thanks,
Peter

Aloha Peter,
Once you are on foil, the feeling of flying is going to be similar...but, handling and technique...etc...are going to be different...

https://youtu.be/C1dDH9awlvg

I didn't like being locked into the foot straps with the Horue/Exocet...and, have since added NSI Foot Hookers to my Mallet...

We have built a number of boards with Deep Tuttle foil boxes...but, also use the twin track system...which as DW said gives you some adjustability to dial in to your equipment and conditions...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2018, 04:28:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I ask because I am building a foil for windsurfing, and it would be nice if it was the surf style short front fuselage setup so that it would also be more like what you would use on a SUP, and also could be used as a larger slower kite foil (I already built one for kiting last year).  Mine will get used mostly for windsurfing based on the flatwater where I live, but it would be nice to keep options open for a more versatile setup as long as I don't give up too much in the windsurfing department.  As for the video Dwight posted, Casey is in my part of the country and I know someone who I think knows him so hopefully I can pick his brain too.  I need to decide soon, it's time to start putting a hole in the fuselage where the mast is going to go!

Peter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal