Author Topic: Windfoiling  (Read 24124 times)

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Windfoiling
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »
Windsurfers are stuck with existing Tuttle box placements.....so foil has to be designed around this handicap. 
Here are some of the new dedicated foil boards being produced by manufacturers. They are designed to initiate beginning foilers and have some performance.  All seem to have the mast as far aft as possible. I guess we'll see where all this is at in a couple years.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »
The Tuttle will always be in the rear on a windsurfer.  It enables manufacturers to sell more dual use boards. 

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
The Tuttle will always be in the rear on a windsurfer.  It enables manufacturers to sell more dual use boards.
If I understood Wardog correctly:
"The companies interested in windfoil racing are manufacturing boards specifically for that...not retrofitting existing boards for windfoiling to appeal to a broader range of sailors" and "They do place the mast of the foil aft because they have experience from Formula with very flat tail rockers...etc...it is faster and they have more leverage over the foil". This makes sense to me as the photo I posted is from a PWA race.

You said "Windsurfers are stuck with existing Tuttle box placements.....so foil has to be designed around this handicap." Racers want to win. They do not want to be handicapped in anyway. I can't believe PWA racers are just sticking foils in existing slalom boards and compromising their performance.

I guess I just can't be convinced so my last point will be the original video that was posted. At the 0'20" mark you will see the mast being placed all the way forward for SUP foiling. At the 2'30" mark you will see the mast being placed all the way aft for wind foiling.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 12:00:07 AM »
I'm looking at that Neil Pryde aluminum foil - does anyone think it could work for SUP surfing if I cut down the length of the mast?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2017, 04:03:39 AM »
If I understood Wardog correctly:
"The companies interested in windfoil racing are manufacturing boards specifically for that...not retrofitting existing boards for windfoiling to appeal to a broader range of sailors"

Not what I'm seeing. Francisco Goya himself, told me last year at Surf Expo, he'd be switching is manufacturing to foil rated Tuttle box installations.  For 2018 RRD is advertising there Tuttle boxes are foil rated.  We're seeing foil rated stickers on Tuttle boxes.

My friend who went to the adventure sports dealer show in the Bahamas tried the NP Pryde Foil/Slalom board and JP Foil boards.  The JPs are the class board designed pure foiling, not universal windsurf slalom and foil.  He thought the JPs were turds. He's riding the NP foil board right now at my home spot. So the normal board appealed to him more. He felt it got going earlier and got the foil up sooner. Now he might feel different if he ever becomes a great foiler, but it's interesting a beginner liked a normal dual use design more.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:31:58 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2017, 04:14:30 AM »
I'm looking at that Neil Pryde aluminum foil - does anyone think it could work for SUP surfing if I cut down the length of the mast?

I would say yes, if you're an expert.

I have two friends who prone foil surf the Slingshot windsurf foil. But these guys are truly expert foilers.  They both plan to switch the wings out to the surf one when they become available.

But, it's still a guess. Comparing the look of the slingshot and NP windsurf wings, the NP is more slender, thinner, and high aspect. So it looks like it would have less low speed lift.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
Comparing the look of the slingshot and NP windsurf wings, the NP is more slender, thinner, and high aspect. So it looks like it would have less low speed lift.

yes, I agree.  For the low cost, it almost makes sense to me to get it and make a new front wing for it with a sander.  It would be a significant development project, but fun

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2017, 09:51:09 AM »
Personally, I'm more interested in designing and developing multi-sport convertible boards that can SUP...windSUP...windfoil...surf SUP foil...etc...more bang for the buck...less gear to carry...I'm stoked that my Hammer design has successfully accomplished this...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/hammer-series/

...but, I knew back in 2014 when I developed the Mallet design, that it could also be adapted for cross-over use...and, that is how I'm approaching my current project of adapting it with a Deep Tuttle box and mast track...

There are several 2018 windfoil models coming out from various manufacturers that share the Mallet's plan shape...dims...volume distribution...etc...but, fin box selection and placement limit their cross-over use...the new board developed for long time kite and kitefoil company Zeeko is an example...but, the F-ONE with a similar shape, looks more versatile...etc...

The Mallet is a really fun short and compact surfSUP that you can really leverage turns on...it's fast...even faster rocker than the Hammer... and, it can be nose ridden...etc...so, until double Tuttle boxes...adjustable Tuttle boxes...and, fin adapters...etc...are developed, I'm going to place the foil box forward of a US box...which is more optimum for surf foiling with my GoFoil...and, has worked well for light air windfoiling...

https://youtu.be/VhVpfRN635w

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/01/mallet-sup-2.html

Bruno André, (AHD) who has been windfoiling for years...has the Tuttle box forward of their rear foot straps on their newest dedicated slalom windfoil board ...a fair distance from the tail...so, far aft placement is not a deal breaker...but, other manufacturers making dedicated windfoil boards tend to place the foil box far aft...

One thing is definitely sure...revisit this thread in a year and things will look a bit different...;-)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:27:55 AM by SUP Sports ® »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2017, 11:19:01 AM »
Look who is doing exactly what Beasho wants to do

http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2017/07/wednesday-7-5-17-morning-call.html

Not sure what Beasho wants to do exactly...but, you can't compare trying to windfoil on his narrow tailed sailboards to the SB Hypersonic 133, or iSonic 135, that Cammar has added an extra deep Tuttle box to...Cammar said "Hypersonic 135"...so there may be a little confusion as to which board it is exactly...

As a Starboard windsurf dealer, I was one of the first to receive the Hypersonics back in 2002 when they came out...also, the iSonics when they came out a few years later...
The Hypersonics have been popular boards to start windfoiling with because they were so heavily discounted...very technical and unforgiving sailboards...probably a few out there still in wrappers...;-)

Regardless, wide tail sections give you leverage over the fin/foil and maximizes stability...let alone the fact that he should be able to easily uphaul on an 130 liter board...;-)

As far as windfoiling on a Kai GoFoil...that's no problem...I proved that to myself 3 weeks ago...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
Got a cool shot from Eric in Minnesota windfoiling at his local lake on the Hammer multi-sport convertible SUP that we just built for him...with GoFoil Maliko foil...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2017/06/minnesota-eric-stoked-life.html

I also had some great runs at my local lake yesterday...lots of fine tuning adds to the understanding of all of the dynamics involved in windfoiling...used a 5.0m2 sail and could have been on a 4.7m2 at times...

I would normally have been on a 6.2m2 or 6.8m2 if I was just regular windsurfing...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »
You can add MFC to the growing list of foils;

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
That's KP...Kevin Pritchard...wave world champion...Starboard team rider...but, also works with MFC on fin design...
Next time I see him I'll ask him how it stacks up against the SB foils...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 08:03:11 PM »
Really stoked on the 7'6" Mallet convertible multi sport SUP...can't wait to get it flying with the foil...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2015/01/mallet-sup-2.html

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 08:08:10 PM »
Our friend Eric up in Minnesota has been having lots of fun on the Hammer windfoil SUP that we built for him...

WD, sharing the stoke of flying the Hammer under sail - had another great session Saturday but it kind of spoiled my for kite foil session yesterday where I got my ass kicked.
I think I like flying the Hammer better! The Hammer does it all!

Cool vid clip with drone footage...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal