Author Topic: Nuking in the gorge  (Read 36143 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Nuking in the gorge
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
me too

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »
I'm not sure the time for any run at the Gorge means a whole lot.  Everyday is different, wind, water flow, height of the river and the fetch of the swell, etc., etc.. I had one magic day there last year when you couldn't help but catch rides the entire run. Prior to and after that the runs could be just a grind the whole way and nothing connected. I spoke to one of the OC1 guys at Viento the next day and he described it as riding an escalator, some days you can just stand there and others you have to walk to get to were you are going. So times there may sound nice but it's just saying you had a lucky day when the conditions all came together.

But I'm with Laszlo, I have more fun just sharing and exchanging the glides with my friends while keeping an eye on each other. When the conditions are just right there you don't want the run to end. Better to save your self for a 2nd.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 08:31:49 AM »
No question it was a lucky run, I've only come close to it once. Today could be the day though. Flow is down to 120kcfs and the wind is ripping. Compulsion. Well, that and Blame Gregg(TM)
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
I'm not sure the time for any run at the Gorge means a whole lot.  Everyday is different, wind, water flow, height of the river and the fetch of the swell, etc., etc.. I had one magic day there last year when you couldn't help but catch rides the entire run. Prior to and after that the runs could be just a grind the whole way and nothing connected. I spoke to one of the OC1 guys at Viento the next day and he described it as riding an escalator, some days you can just stand there and others you have to walk to get to were you are going. So times there may sound nice but it's just saying you had a lucky day when the conditions all came together.

But I'm with Laszlo, I have more fun just sharing and exchanging the glides with my friends while keeping an eye on each other. When the conditions are just right there you don't want the run to end. Better to save your self for a 2nd.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »
Some footage from the first half of the run on 7/3. It was pretty big out there & a lot harder to stay in the same swell on this section of the run relative to the Wells.  Hence, my son tends to go zipping by a lot.

The side view undersells the size of the swell but captures the on / off cadence of the sport nicely I think. I've always loved the side view video of Dave Kalama doing an M to M channel crossing with Jeremy. This is not that but still captures the feel at least a bit:

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »
Whoops.  Anyway Starman, I agree.  There's so many variables to what your time can be.  It's silly to think you're a stud just because the conditions were stellar and just as silly to beat yourself up after a slow run on a crossed up, counter current (you Gorge guys always have a counter) day.  It's only useful in comparing to others on that specific run at the same time, all going 100%... which is often the case here. 

We have a very competitive paddling community here and just about no one waits for anyone unless it's a predetermined plan to do so.  Since 1979 when I first began prone DW there haven't been any casualties except one guy, recently,  in a six man crew that died later.  My own A-Fib in 2007 was probably the next closest call.

I'm mildly competitive but have a good grip of conditions and the ability of people I go with.  So I amend my run accordingly.  If there are no significant hazards and I know everyone involved, I open it up.  But learning the surfski is reacquainting me to the feel of the nervousness others might have on their initial runs.  Someone told me to look up at a plane circling overhead the other day as we paddled out of the gulch.  I laughed.  No way I can divert my eyes anywhere in the ski.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
Some footage from the first half of the run on 7/3. It was pretty big out there & a lot harder to stay in the same swell on this section of the run relative to the Wells.  Hence, my son tends to go zipping by a lot.

The side view undersells the size of the swell but captures the on / off cadence of the sport nicely I think. I've always loved the side view video of Dave Kalama doing an M to M channel crossing with Jeremy. This is not that but still captures the feel at least a bit:

Great vid.  Thanks.  What did you use for a cam mount?  I enjoy side view the most as well, for the depth of the swell.  The kid had a very good approach.  He was 'in the groove.'  And you did a remarkable job keeping him in the frame.  I like the transition fades in the vid.  A little bouncy at moments but totally enjoyable.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 03:32:21 PM »
Someone told me to look up at a plane circling overhead the other day as we paddled out of the gulch.  I laughed.  No way I can divert my eyes anywhere in the ski.

That's funny!  I tagged along with JR on a no-winder Maliko this April, and while the paddling was a grind, I saw more on that one run than in the other 20+ runs I had done.  Some incredible scenery that is missed when constantly scanning the bumps directly in front of you and trying to stay upright!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »
Today was the perfect example of what it takes to get a good time for a geezer like me. I'ts not connecting every bump--I pretty much did that. It's not paddling hard--did that. It's not not falling in--I fell once, then had to dive in twice to wash the sunscreen off my face--what was i thinking. But still, it would have been a pretty good run--except for this:

Somebody opened the faucet and left the water running.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
I need a day off. Hmmm, Temira sez 25 to 29 Thursday afternoon, can't miss that, and 15 to 28 on Friday--maybe I can rest Friday. Then 28-32+ on Saturday--gotta do that. Geez. I'm pooped after this afternoon's grinder. I'm blaming the excellent band that played at the ruins last night--I had to dance like a maniac, then OC6 in the morning, a fairly tough downwind/upwind. The downwind was harder than the upwind because we did a pretty extreme cadence. Then a 1:00 pm Viento downwinder with the wind crapping out three miles before the finish. Ugh. didn't need that.

Off to bed. Where's the Advil?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 06:49:02 AM »
Nice picture from Friday that Remick Merry posted to Facebook. I cut across to the Washington side on one of my runs and cut through both the Hatchery and Swell City. The windsurfers were like angry bees.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2017, 07:35:21 PM »
It was very good today, glad I went. The shuttle was full, so I self-shuttled with Dave and got in the water a few minutes before the 1:00 pm shuttle. Rock and Roll all the way. I thought I might be able to touch 1:16, so I hit it hard, though my shoulders and arms were complaining mightily. As you can see from the graph above (which updates every time it gets accessed) the current was up over 200K so I might forgive myself for not hitting my mark. I knew when I hit the split rock at 55 minutes that I wasn't going to beat 1:20. But Angie Jackson launched about ten minutes behind me and came in about a minute or so behind me, so there's that. I did 1:24, she did 1:14.

Not fair, she's a girl.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »
Pretty spot. No those aren't flies on the bottom of your screen. View it full screen. You can't really see the windsurfers at the Hatch--they just look like texture.

https://www.facebook.com/katunews/videos/10154870389316448/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:47:25 PM by PonoBill »

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »

Great vid.  Thanks.  What did you use for a cam mount?  I enjoy side view the most as well, for the depth of the swell.  The kid had a very good approach.  He was 'in the groove.'  And you did a remarkable job keeping him in the frame.  I like the transition fades in the vid.  A little bouncy at moments but totally enjoyable.

Thanks HM.  I just do a typical Go Pro mount but face the camera sideways.  I add a few Go Pro tower components to add height which helps make the swells look a bit bigger but also probably accounts for the bounciness. Generally to get good footage requires being quite close: most of these shots are from <10 feet away.

I have some general misgivings about GoPros and selfies and the like.  However, the Gro Pro really is nice for down winding. At my skill level, I find it almost impossible to tell how well my partner on the water is doing, even if I am gliding immediately next to them the whole time as in the video. From my perspective, it actually kind of looked like Kenzo was having a tough run.  He had about 8 consecutive falls at Mitchell's: that 23 inch board flips almost immediately in >40 knot wind and he almost got bonked twice.  He seemed a bit spooked at times.  However, the video really shows that he never gave up and was connecting glides more or less the whole time.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2017, 08:17:06 PM »
I just do a typical Go Pro mount but face the camera sideways. 

Hey Blue - where is the camera mounted?  Didn't see your paddle at all but you seem to be moving along just fine

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal