Author Topic: What would you do .?  (Read 5725 times)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
What would you do .?
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:17:51 PM »
You save up to get your dream board shaped. You think it will be light because you paid extra for the high zoom materials.  You think 21-22 at most. But you get it surf it and weigh it and it's 28 lbs.   what do you do ?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What would you do .?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:03:47 AM »
Been there a few times. Both boards were shaped to my spec's, and glassed to something else. The benefit of buying a finished board that is light is you already know it's light. The shape may be a compromise, but you know it's light. Most of the time, exact glassing weight is a crap shoot. If they guaranteed the weight in writing, then you have some recourse. It's a bummer :(
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 12:11:38 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 01:14:44 AM »
That sucks!!!

Totally freak out. Snap! Be the loud guy.... demand your money back.

Any custom builder worth a salt should back their product and want it to be perfect for you.... it's a custom after all.

Squeeky people seem to get what they want.... silent types get screwed.

Even then you are screwed.... cuz now you have to wait till fall for a board.  >:(

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:16:15 AM »
Talk to the shaper and ask what the hell happend? Is this their first SUP being shaped or did they do something wrong?

When I had my custom shaped, I went over every aspect of the board with the shaper from size, shape, rails, paint, deck pad, etc even discussed final weight so again not sure what was missed in your process?

Who made the board?
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 04:10:03 AM »
Before we "shoot, hang, and drown the shaper...not necessarily in that order....

How big is the board? Is it a wave board? Race Board? Touring board? Did you choose a desired weight and let the shapper take it from there? Or did you tell him how you wanted it glassed? Did you allude to being rough on boards or having problems with durability in the past? Are you you average size guy or bigger than the average bear?

What's the back story?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 05:37:41 AM »
High end materials can add lots of resin weight if not vacuum bagged.

All the fancy netting adds resin weight.

Carbon sucks resin like carpet.

Innegra is tricky too.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »
High end materials can add lots of resin weight if not vacuum bagged.

Since my next board is going to be a custom build, I'm going to file the above for future reference for my next custom board.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 08:00:37 AM »
Did  the  shaper also  do the  glass  job ?  Did you  discuss  the  glass  schedule  with  the  shaper?

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
Same thing happened to me. Ordered a custom 14' downwind board for the Gorge, from a local shaper, who had already built a specialized wave SUP for me, which I was happy with. The 14' was going to be "carbon" so I was expecting "light". Didn't turn out that way, the board came in at 37lbs! I like the board otherwise, the shape is what I asked for, but I don't use it much because of the weight. In really big conditions however it actually works in my favor, so I save it for that.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 12:26:55 PM »
The thing is the guy is local and very very  well known. he is great  guy so I don't want to name names on a public forum.  The first board I got form him was also a custom  at 10'3 34  wide and  thick   it was is my learning board, and is now my crappy crappy  day  board.  it weighed in at at 26  and  is a carbon board.  This board is thinner  shorter at 10'0 narrower at 32   10 x32  vs 10'3 x 34. The  board has stepped rails also but weighs in at 28  I thought it would be much lighter as that is what I asked for and it does have that netting  kevlar I think? It was constructed using vacuum bagging I think.  All of his boards are.   I am not  the squeaky  wheel kind of guy. I tend to shut up and muscle through and get things done.. But I am bummed  The board surfs exceptionally well.  IT just is so freaking heavy.  and it always feels heavier when I get out than when I get in  plus the fin boxes cracked  and I had to have them replaced   so thing that made it even heavier.  So Find my self not wanting to ride it,  and  am thinking of a new board that I can't afford.  so I hope that clarifies some of the questions.
any thoughts?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 12:28:31 PM »
The thing is the guy is local and very very  well known. he is great  guy so I don't want to name names on a public forum.  The first board I got form him was also a custom  at 10'3 34  wide and  thick   it was is my learning board, and is now my crappy crappy  day  board.  it weighed in at at 26  and  is a carbon board.  This board is thinner  shorter at 10'0 narrower at 32   10 x32  vs 10'3 x 34. The  board has stepped rails also but weighs in at 28  I thought it would be much lighter as that is what I asked for and it does have that netting  kevlar I think? It was constructed using vacuum bagging I think.  All of his boards are.   I am not  the squeaky  wheel kind of guy. I tend to shut up and muscle through and get things done.. But I am bummed  The board surfs exceptionally well.  IT just is so freaking heavy.  and it always feels heavier when I get out than when I get in  plus the fin boxes cracked  and I had to have them replaced   so thing that made it even heavier.  So Find my self not wanting to ride it,  and  am thinking of a new board that I can't afford.  so I hope that clarifies some of the questions.
any thoughts?

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
whoops double post sorry

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
You've shown enough that we know who your shaper was  ::) I don't think it's that out of line.  I just weighed my 10'x29" Coreban Icon ('Pure-PVC' version made at the Cobra factory) and it 23.5 lbs w/ fins. It feels super light to me. I weighed my 9'4 x 31" homemade 'green machine' and its 26 lbs w/ fins- just an E-glass hand layup. My 18'x25" custom unlimited that I shaped and glassed - All CF , 30 lbs w/ fin. My 19'x24" all CF unlimited is 33 lbs w/ a heavy fin. Just so you have a reference.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
Full netting is part of the reason.  Think about what that does.  You're adding ropes to your lamination in a criss cross pattern.  Imagine the extra epoxy fill required to get a flush smooth surface.  That stuff is evil. I built one board with it years ago. I threw the remainder of my roll in the trash.

Look at some of the videos from inside these factories. Resin being poured on by the half gallon.  Appalling. Heavy boards.

Yours should weigh 20 lbs.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
Jesus, I learned the hard way with vector net, too. I had to add so much resin to fill the diamonds and then sanded like a madman to get it flat and reduce weight. I'll use it again, maybe, but only in small areas. My 9'2" x 26 came in at 20 lbs. I was crushed. Seemed heavy to me.

Your board will be bombproof, however. And it is very nice looking!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard