Author Topic: "Creek" model video #2 with Size Range & Pics  (Read 26081 times)

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: "Creek" model video #2 with Size Range & Pics
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »
Hi STC!
Your 'Creek' design looks amazing and well deserved with all of the hard work (and play! ) that you've  contributed to our sport and this great forum! Your videos and comments are greatly appreciated!
Do you happen to have any further information on the production boards - release dates, prices, colour scheme etc?
Finally, would the 'Creek' compliment a Speeed in a quiver or are they too similar? I have a 9'2 Speeed and being an 83kg improving intermediate SUPer I was wondering which size would be ideal (the 8'10", 9'1" possibly? )?
Thanks for now!

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 12:33:51 PM »
Thanks supcymru!

The "Creek" is fully available through any Sunova dealer, world wide. It has been in production since they made the first ones for me and lopezwill.

They are starting to arrive to buyers in the US, and shops in Australia will be getting them in their spring shipments arriving soon.
Since US shops got their shipments prior to the introduction of the "Creek", they will have to order one for you.
It will be shipped direct from the factory to your house.

US shops are now putting orders in for the "Creek" so they will be in the shops when shipments arrive down the road.

The Creek is an entirely different board from your Speeed.
I think the Speeed tail is the best I have ever surfed, so that was a BIG part of my design.
Differences:
the "Creek" has rail curve, so it turns and pumps from the middle.
High performance rocker allows it to go vertical and snap off the top easier.
Super loose... and very fast.

You should be fine on an 8'10 Creek, because part of my design was based on extra width in the nose and a moderate rail curve to hold some stability.
The 8'10 has 125 liters which puts you at a float factor of 1.35, which is very reasonable.
It is also the exact same width as the 9'2 Speeed, and thinner overall, so a much flatter deck.

I think the 8'10 makes the most sense, since it would give you a smaller performance board to step up your game as you progress.
The makings of a very good quiver!

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2017, 11:13:22 PM »
Thank you for replying so quickly and for providing so much information! It'll be interesting to see and read more about the new Creeks over the next few months.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 06:28:59 AM »
I have currently a Speeed 8’5” and weigh 82 kg. Which Creek would be the right choice! 8’4” or 8’7”? It is most of the time windy when we have stronger waves here in Mediterranean. I heard that Creek is a bit less stable than the Speeed the similar size, maybe I should opt for the 8’7”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »
Thanks Viator

I to am debating between a 8’4” and 8’7” Creek. I am a bit lighter at 70kg and currently ride a 8’10” Speeed and 8’10” Skate. I really enjoy both these boards. The Skate in choppy shore breaks and the Speeed when a bit cleaner. Starting to get to the nose of the Speeed. I haven’t seen much feedback on the Creek yet. Call out to anyone out there riding a Creek your experiences surfing this model would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
The Creek is finally getting in the hands of some buyers.
I have gotten amazing feedback from some very good surfers who are riding serious waves on 7'10's. They love it, but are not active forum people.

Creeks are arriving in Australia as we speak, and I look forward to their feedback.

I will make a new video from my sessions tonight, so you can get a look at it in some decent size waves and some great summer surf.

About sizing:
After I saw Vitormundi's question on 8'7 vs 8'4, I picked some footage from a
"stability test"  I filmed this summer between 6 Sunova's I ride.
I will finish the vid tonight.

Short answer: I reccomend the 8'7.
My 9'4 Creek is an entirerly different performance level than my 9'2 Speeed. Not even in the ballpark.

James Casey, #1 combined, 2016 World Tour Pro ordered one immediatly after he rode mine

I will post a detailed reply to your question tonight when I get home.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
The Creek is finally getting in the hands of some buyers.
I have gotten amazing feedback from some very good surfers who are riding serious waves on 7'10's. They love it, but are not active forum people.

Creeks are arriving in Australia as we speak, and I look forward to their feedback.

I will make a new video from my sessions tonight, so you can get a look at it in some decent size waves and some great summer surf.

About sizing:
After I saw Vitormundi's question on 8'7 vs 8'4, I picked some footage from a
"stability test"  I filmed this summer between 6 Sunova's I ride.
I will finish the vid tonight.

Short answer: I reccomend the 8'7.
My 9'4 Creek is an entirerly different performance level than my 9'2 Speeed. Not even in the ballpark.

James Casey, #1 combined, 2016 World Tour Pro ordered one immediatly after he rode mine

I will post a detailed reply to your question tonight when I get home.

Thx. I look forward to your answer.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
Thanks Viator

I to am debating between a 8’4” and 8’7” Creek. I am a bit lighter at 70kg and currently ride a 8’10” Speeed and 8’10” Skate. I really enjoy both these boards. The Skate in choppy shore breaks and the Speeed when a bit cleaner. Starting to get to the nose of the Speeed. I haven’t seen much feedback on the Creek yet. Call out to anyone out there riding a Creek your experiences surfing this model would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Bob

I talked to Tiago Silva who runs the Mauka Lodge in Portugal. He has tested the Creek and had very positive comments about it. I respect his comments a lot, bought my Speeed after testing one in his lodge. That’s why I got interested in Creek. Apparently it has some Speeed features but more playful while riding in the middle.

surfshaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
Hi guys, just chiming in because I am about to take delivery on an 8'7" Creek.  I'm 85-90 kg wet (depending on wetsuit) and I've been riding a 7'10" L41 Popdart as my primary board.  I was choosing between the Creek and the Flash and went with the Creek after Tino weighed in saying the Creek was better for all conditions while the Flash was best for good waves.

I'm getting the board primarily for windier conditions, overhead to DOH plus, and crowded days.  Also as a one-board quiver for surf trips.  I love my Popdart but my wave count has gone down a bit on days with less than perfect conditions.  I'm super pumped to get out on the Creek and will come back with a ride report!

Cheers,

Alex

supthecreek

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
Viatormundi:

When I designed the Creek, I had only one board in mind.... a high performance board that I could ride in full winter gear. I simply took parts from my other Sunova's and brought them together to make a bigger board that would still rip.

Never gave a thought about other sizes or how the stability would be on them.
I'm pretty sure I could easily be on an 8'10 in my "no wetsuit" months, since I had no issues with my 8'10 Speeed.

I have never had a chance to ride any Creek but my 9'4, so until I do, I have to use comparisons that I know.
My 9'2 Speeed vs 9'4 Creek, should be relative to the 8'5 Speeed vs 8'7 Creek.
The 9'4 Creek is noticeably more stable than the 9'2 Speeed... so you should be fine on the 8'7 Creek.
If you need stability, the Creek can be ridden larger and still deliver great performance.

As to going bigger, the 9'4 Creek gives me much higher performance than the 9'2 Speeed... and very different in many ways. As Tiago says, much more playful from the middle, plus more.

FRP:
It sounds like you want to push yourself a bit with a new board.
Some thoughts:
The 8'4 is 25 liters less than your Speeed.... and narrower
The 8'7 is 15 liters less and only 1/2" wider than the Speeed.
I think you would find the 8'10 Creek to be similar stability to your 8'10 Speeed... but maybe a tad less.
To be similar stability to your 8'10 Skate, you would have to go with the 9'1 Creek.
As I said above, you will be moving noticeably up in performance.

Having said that, at 70 kg, a conservative volume ratio of 1.5 puts you at 105 liters, which is the 8'4 Creek.
That is a BIG jump from where you are now.
Your decision... if you think you are ready to up your game and go for the 8'7, which should be very doable.

I hope to ride an 8'10 Creek this Wednesday... then I will have a really firm idea of how the sizes relate.

here's a video of a stability test I did in July.
It's long, but worth a look if you want to see the comps between
8'10 Flow
9'2 Speeed
9'2 Skate
9'4 Creek
9'4 Acid
I also tested the 9'5 Soul, which came in just a tad less stable than the 9'4 Creek. Not in vid to save time.

These tests are as candid as I can be... I simply react to each board as I stand up on it.
I never published this before, because everyone is different... and these tests only reflect my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7uXKT0s580

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 05:56:29 AM »
Thanks Creek

Your insight is much appreciated. The stability test was the first that I have seen and gives some visual comparators. I agree that the Skate is an incredibly stable design and yet maintains a high level of performance. At 70kgs I find the 8’10” Speeed quite stable and only notice the difference with the 8’10” Skate in very choppy water. I am not thinking of replacing either board, just expanding the quiver and pushing my boundaries. At 62 years I suspect a sensible choice would be the 8’7” Creek. Looking forward to some reviews that should be out soon.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 07:18:06 AM »
@ Creek

If someone is considering a Sunova; with this video and your analysis from your comments, any person who is considering a Sunova, they'd have lots of knowledge to make purchasing decision if they can't demo any of the Sunova models you show cased in this video.

And as for the length of this video, I like long length videos where I can see lots of details in the video. In closing, an excellent video and I hope to see more "long" length videos from you in the future.  :)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
Hey Creek,
Thank you for taking the time to make another really useful video of the Sunova boards that you have. You, Bert, Tino and the team have done a great job on the Creek and the proportions of the 9'4 look perfect and doesn't look like a 32" wide board. Looking forward to hearing more about the range.
Diolch!

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
Thanks Creek,

The comparison along with the video on flat water really gives you a great perspective on the stability of the boards. As Night Wing said, this is particularly useful when you can't demo. Seeing you on the board gives us a weight, age, and experience perspective too that we can compare to ourselves.

This is a Sunova thread but it also very useful thread. If any of you have boards that are tough to demo and can compare make a video and throw it on the general forum. Its great to see!

supthecreek

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 03:51:40 AM »
Thanks for the great feedback on the video, I am glad you found it helpful.

Creek NEWS:
To answer the question:
"What do others think of the Creek?"

Australian National Titles
James Casey 3rd place, Mens Open on his 7'7 Creek

Trafford (3rd person to own a Creek)
Placed 5 in the Over 40's on his 7'4 Creek!!!

James Casey, Sunova Team Rider and 2016 APP SUP Pro #1 in combined, has had his Creek 7'7 for a month.
It has a custom orange paint.... but is otherwise 100% stock Creek.

Pics of James surfing the Creek in the Finals

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal