Author Topic: Transported board in bag on car roof - got very hot, which was unexpected  (Read 8662 times)

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
It wasn't that hot last weekend - prob. mid 80s - but I decided to use my bag for the first time and drove for 2 hours with the board in the bag, on the car roof.  I was amazed at how hot it got inside the bag!  It has a little hot/cold symbol that's supposed to let you know if its too hot and that was activated. 

I have driven in hotter temps for 45 mins with the bare board on the roof and it wasn't even warm to the touch.  Maybe because the board is white. 

Now I feel like an idiot for buying bags to protect the boards from heat and they seem to do the opposite!  This is the bag: http://www.surffcs.com/shop/sup-boardbags/sup-adjustable-dayrunner-wide

Is it normal that bags are not helpful in hot sun?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
White boards do very well out in the open, but the temperature in your bag probably wasn't harmful, just high. All the other stuff that happens to boards that aren't in a bag are still a factor. Don't worry about it. and remember that your board was probably cured at somewhere close to 180F, and if it wasn't, it would be good if it was. Getting one side of a board blistering hot while the other side is cool is a whole different story. Heating in a bag is even. It's a feature, not a bug.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:07:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
When I bought an F16 from the guys at SIC, they recommended not putting the board in a sealed insulated bag like the one in your link. They said that they had seen problems like discoloration and bubbling. I ended up getting one of these, and could not be happier. http://www.victorykoredry.com/board-covers/surfboard-topless-board-bag.html. Much tougher than they appear in the pictures, great UV and dirt protection, super easy on and off, no flapping even at highway speeds, though very minimal ding protection. They did suggest using a heavy duty sealed bag for airline or boat travel where the board was going to be subject to a lot of banging around. The ones that I got are really just for roof top use.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
I had a windsurf board delaminate in a board bag.

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
NaluSUP - That looks pretty cool. I have a big bag for my 10' surf SUP that I normally use, but that looks like a better option as 90% of the time I put my SUP in the back of my truck and would be nice to not put it in a bag that I got sand in. I'd never use it for airline travel, but any negatives you have seen so far.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Just leave the zipper  open  for  about  6 inches  and you'll  be  fine 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I left my PSH 12ft Gun in a board bag in the sun with the zip open far more than 12 inches (and with an open fin slot in the bag too) and it still cooked. The board was way too hot to touch after only about 30 mins.

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I was going to toss up a link to midnight products and the highly reflective bottoms they use. But, it appears that they shut down the board bag biz in Feb of this year. Too bad, they made a really good product. Vitamin Blue is the only other custom board bag maker that I know of but they don't seem to use the same reflective material.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I left my PSH 12ft Gun in a board bag in the sun with the zip open far more than 12 inches (and with an open fin slot in the bag too) and it still cooked. The board was way too hot to touch after only about 30 mins.

What, in England?

Did it reach 20ºC?

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
I'll second the topless board bags. I have one for my 8'11" Hammer and it works great for traveling during the summer months with our Texas heat.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think that the Victory KoreDry has a lot of advantages over the tarp. The Victory is a very soft material which is easy on the board finish, very easy to handle, and machine washable. It is very breathable, so it lets moisture out easily. The heavy duty elastic gives it an excellent form fit over the board, so it goes on in seconds and fits perfectly even at highway speeds. They do custom, and ours were custom made for our F16's; perfect fit right down to the rudder placement. I can't picture trying to tie a tarp onto a board and having it stay on at highway speeds, plus it does not breathe.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile

What, in England?

Did it reach 20ºC?
It's been the hottest June here in the UK since 1977.

Air temp in the shade was about 27C. The bag was not in the shade, unfortunately.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Thick bags are great if you move your boards around a lot.  I am 'container—car—beach—return' user working within about a 5hr window.  If I take a second board, I take this and throw over it while it's sitting on the sand.  I am assuming most solar gain on top of the car is being extracted at 60mph during the 2hr drive time ..and, there is little to no heat gain in 60f. water. 

This is some Tyvek brought in from Belgium to use on airplanes but is too lightweight to be practical.  I'm also half convinced the White side is better than the Silver in lessening heat gain.  I have some non-woven car cover fabric that would work perfectly, but its narrow width means the yield is bad for board use.  Even a cheap, knitted sock would help it the board sits out...

Jim

One of those non-contact, IR, pistol-style thermometers is a wonderful tool for telling the temp of the surf or anything else...  like, $12 at Amazon.

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
This was an itch...  I've thought this for years, but, you know what they say about assumptions...   I stitched two pieces of old scrap together, hung them in open air, measuring from the underside. 

Luckily, there was little breeze. The ambient is about 92f ...BUT, it was about 4:15 pm  ...hardly 'High Noon'. Still.

My meter is in C..  so I'll translate:  Silver side was: 39.7c (103.4f) whereas White was: 36c (96.8f)

I understand, people generally prefer a shiny object (I think De Beers are the exploitation experts here.) but if you want cooler on the sunless side, I'd pick something that has so little pigment that it is nearly unable to absorb IR, rather than a shiny, light shade of Black with metallic properties.  Maybe there's an actual engineer in the house....

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal