Author Topic: Tuttle box only? Consider deck reinforcement  (Read 12829 times)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Tuttle box only? Consider deck reinforcement
« on: June 26, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »
Here's a pic posted by Sam Pa'e, pumping or hitting the bottom or both? Not sure, but the weak spot became evident.
It takes a quiver to do that.

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tuttle box only? Consider deck reinforcement
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 12:34:36 PM »
i always thought the tuttle boxes were put in far too lightly

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 12:51:54 PM »
Bummer! I imagine when it happened it was quite unnerving.

Wondering if a stringer would have held it in place? And then would the foil crack, or the board snap in half?  I suspect I would prefer the tuttle pop out then the latter two...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »
A Power Plate would also be another good solution.  They are available at Windance at the Gorge (I'm not affiliated).
It takes a quiver to do that.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »
Looks like a Blue Planet board. Maybe Robert can chime in  ???

I hit the reef the other day (read ROCK BOTTOM in California) and went flying.  I thought I would have ripped off a wing from my GoFoil, or cracked the box, but escaped with a scuff to the tip and a few scratches.  Really impressive.

I'm sure anything can happen but the Tuttle Box installed Deck to Deck is pretty bomb proof.  Then again Sam is a bigger guy. 

I surf with Haley Fiske.  He installed the box himself, and weighs 230 lbs.  He breaks everything so we'll see how his Tuttle / GoFoil holds up.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 06:42:58 AM »
really it wants the glass to go down and around the tuttle box and then lap onto to the bottom of the board to cradle the box so the glass that is holding it in is working in tenshion. Just glassing over the flat surface of the box is pretty dumb thing do do and expect it to hold the weight of a rider jumping up and down. All you are relying on is the foam and about .7mm of glass with a shear force acting against it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
Yeah, he used a cassette of foam but didn't glass under it from the looks of the thing. I don't think Sam's box will be the last to fail, though probably the most dramatic. I expect a lof of them will leak. Knowing Sam, I bet he's still laughing about this. He's an extremely good and innovative homebrew builder--I doubt this will ever happen to him again. He'll figure it out.

I like plates.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:35:14 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 10:16:03 AM »
I just ran into a friend of mine at our local glassing supply store. He's been getting into foiling, and has his mounted on a twin long box mount. He's a big guy and said his board keeps leaking around the fin boxes. I was telling about some of the discussion here, and about the forces being applied at the box are far beyond what just a typical long fin box and 1# foam can handle. He was going to buy some 6oz glass and put a few more layers around the boxes. After we talked, he realized how futile it was. He's getting the big GoFoil with the tuttle mount. I recommended the HD foam and a full glass under with a bond through to the deck.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
Tall Dude, I even thought  of laminating in a plywood plate to the bottom of my board. I agree that the two boxes won't work alone over time.

However, if you consider the HD foam cassette that UK did, you could route out the big hole for that, glass from the skin down through the box and then sandwich the box in by glassing over it. I'll bet that would hold and not leak.

Charlie, what's the size of your HD foam insert for the plate mounts? What do you think of my overkill install idea here?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 10:15:50 PM »
Talldude, a deep Tuttle has perhaps one-third of the strength of two long mast boxes with carbon under them and carbon over them. If he just sunk them through the deck and put a patch layer over then maybe, but even that has more strength than a Tuttle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 12:44:42 AM »
Tall Dude, I even thought  of laminating in a plywood plate to the bottom of my board. I agree that the two boxes won't work alone over time.

However, if you consider the HD foam cassette that UK did, you could route out the big hole for that, glass from the skin down through the box and then sandwich the box in by glassing over it. I'll bet that would hold and not leak.

Charlie, what's the size of your HD foam insert for the plate mounts? What do you think of my overkill install idea here?

365mm x 205mm x 35 when I have cut another batch I will see if I can send you one if you like. If you glass under and around it will probably be over kill but no harm. The benefit of the plate design is its spread over such a large area and with the hd insert that is increased further. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 01:02:57 AM »
Let me know man, I'm about to order a Clearwater kit to start messing around til you guys sort out "the good wings" ;)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:21 AM »
Let me know man, I'm about to order a Clearwater kit to start messing around til you guys sort out "the good wings" ;)

I really don't see the point in those kits just get a bunch of timber and sand away, by the looks you will want to go for a thicker profile any way. Some good quality birch ply would be far better if you want to go diy, I can give you the rough dimensions of what I have here if that helps.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
Hi supuk, we've been having pretty-much the same conversation by PM.

The appeal of the Clearwater kit is for those of us who don't have your skills or equipment.   I have the skills to assemble/glass a kit, but not to make one from scratch.

Having said that if you do provide detailed dimensions, a view of foil shape etc etc I will have to go.  Else it's the Clearwater route which after including International shipping and UK Customs won't be as cheap as I'd like.

thanks.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
work on a 24" span front wing with about 12" cord at the center and about a foil that is 1 1/2 thick. Take a look at the clark Y profile and use that as a basis to and the profile. If you use ply it will help you get the contours correct. The mast is very simple just 12mm ply 5" cord and take a look at the naca foils to shape a basic symmetrical foil/

Its not hard to make something that will lift, he shows this in his videos with how he has made it so basic.  Its never going to be a precision thing but it will be as good as that kit and will save the cost of shipping a few bits of pallet wood half way around the world.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal