Author Topic: $299 Costco Wave Storm Update.  (Read 13211 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: $299 Costco Wave Storm Update.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »
Heh, Heh, he's a pretty cheerful instructor, but doesn't seem to emphasize surf etiquette much.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 12:25:22 AM »
Another ripping YouTube wavestorm video:

https://youtu.be/dsjqQti3HjQ
Holy crap - no wonder prone surfers hate us.

Please, if you are this dire at SUP surfing, go and practice for a LONG TIME far far away from anyone else first, and preferably don't let anyone see you. Or take some supervised lessons until you aren't a total liability.

Every person in the vid is neither a surfer or a paddler - all of them just learners. Its like Bracks - the guys on the boards with no paddles are not prone surfers who deiced whats cool - they all just  a bunch of learners. who gives a shit if a learner on a fun board hates me or not?? Not me!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 08:26:31 AM »
  Around here there's a Costco pile up everyday.

I call them rubber bullets.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 09:56:38 PM »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 10:50:37 PM »
And if it breaks you can just return it.  I saw this one at Costco the other day.  It's really just EPS foam covered with some type of closed cell foam, all that holds it together is the plywood stringers.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 03:28:54 AM »
Holy shit, is that a joke? I hope so.

I thought this was some type of comedy skit, then was horrified to see this instructor is a local.  Warning signs all around.  That video needs to be taken down as it undermines any professional credibility. 

Obvious issues:

1.  Video shows inexperienced SUP surfer in what appears to be Boneyard at Doheny (i.e. not in designated SUP area south of the Hammer).  If you're gonna violate the rules, at least be experienced enough to surf well.  My little kids surf there and if I saw this guy teaching SUP surfing there like that I'd call the lifeguards on him for being unsafe--after I blasted him verbally myself.

2.  Video shows no etiquette being shown for other surfers, with a clear drop in at the end.  Doheny is rife enough with newbies; this guy is taking the dangers to a new level.

3.  Video shows flat out lousy use of an SUP in the surf.  It's not showing the learning curve, but the stupidity curve.

4.  Have you heard of a thing called a leash?  Firm's web page shows plenty of photos of newbie SUP'ers who are unleashed.  You'd think this lesson would have been learned by an instructor.  These are beginners; are you kidding me?

5.  Pictures show PFD strapped to boards; again, assuming they are learning, why are they not wearing the PFD to limit risk?

What's a good basic SUP/Wavestorm SUP video?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nPKt3TU7EDs
And Rosie is nice to look at too...

Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 06:34:35 AM »
You have to do some pretty crazy stuff to break them--look at those stringers. Those boards have to be twice as strong as any ordinary SUP.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »
True, Pono. I love that we worry about S-glass and carbon when Agit just glues a skin on some EPS and hits the water! A triple plywood stringer must get you a pretty good ways down the road. I will say that mine is a bit soft on the deck these days.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 09:12:42 AM »
It's a good combination, and they will get pretty soft. The only thing supporting the EVA is some closed cell EPS. Holds everything together pretty well though, and those three stringers aren't simple three ply, they're really strong. You could probably break your kitchen table before you'd break those. A hard skin standard cheap production SUP or longboard would cost a fortune in warranty replacement.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal