Author Topic: Tavarua  (Read 3818 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tavarua
« on: June 20, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
So, I just found out that after breaking a foot this week skateboarding, I somehow lucked into an all expenses paid trip to Tavarua from Trace (the surf/kite/SUP tracker). I'm pretty excited, but now I'm wondering are there any breaks that won't kill be in Tavarua? I'd probably go in their smaller season (in January or February), and I'm pretty comfortable in overhead EC waves, and Costa Rica waves, but when I think Tavarua I think crazy, heavy waves over reef.

Let me know what I should know - if there are any kiters out there - same question.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tavarua
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
Google Namotu. It's right across the channel and Dave Kalama considers it one of the best spots in the world.

BluePlanet on here has been there and , SUPUK was in the world championships there last year. I'd hit those guys up for the 411.

You are lucky man. Definitely on my bucket list. Enjoy and send pics!

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:28:57 PM »
That sounds like an amazing trip.  I hope you heal fast and are able to go for it.  Please post pics and vid when you do.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:40:05 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:21 PM »
Can't tell you much about tav as we stayed on malolo but from what I surfed  namotu lefts wasn't to bad as fare as shallow reef goes and is not that heavy that said you still don't want to be on the inside at low tide or you are going to have problems. Restaurants was extremely fast and razor sharp with nasty bits sticking up all over the place and heavier so quite un forgiving if you get it wrong. Cloud break is not to bad at high tide if you choose your spot right  however it takes quite a while to figure out and learn. Low tide cb is when you don't want to get it wrong as it will be dry on the inside and razor sharp in places with. Unfortunately I didn't get to surf any of the other breaks but it is a butiful place however very expensive.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:44:18 AM »
Can't tell you much about tav as we stayed on malolo but from what I surfed  namotu lefts wasn't to bad as fare as shallow reef goes and is not that heavy that said you still don't want to be on the inside at low tide or you are going to have problems. Restaurants was extremely fast and razor sharp with nasty bits sticking up all over the place and heavier so quite un forgiving if you get it wrong. Cloud break is not to bad at high tide if you choose your spot right  however it takes quite a while to figure out and learn. Low tide cb is when you don't want to get it wrong as it will be dry on the inside and razor sharp in places with. Unfortunately I didn't get to surf any of the other breaks but it is a butiful place however very expensive.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it, I'm definitely interested in kiting over at Namotu in the afternoons if there's wind. Thinking I will take a 12m kite, a shortboard for kiting, a twintip for the lagoon, and a SUP. I'm looking at Swimming Pools and hopefully the boat drivers have a few other step down spots, I am going in their summer so it should be not so critical (or at least that's what I've read). ,

I'm more confident on a kite than a SUP, and I would love a nice left with cross-off winds, that is my goofy-footed dream. I've got like 7 months to research, so hopefully I can find plenty of information. Above everything else, I'm sure it's a once in a lifetime type of place, so my wife and I are pretty excited.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 07:23:19 AM »
Other than the spots around namotu tavi and cloud break there are not really any other spots. We were unlucky to get a flat spell while we were there but the rest of the days were a good size up to massive and that was November. Even when it was big we found namotu lefts most of the time to be were everyone ended up and was fine as long as you didn't get stuck inside.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:52:52 AM »
Other than the spots around namotu tavi and cloud break there are not really any other spots. We were unlucky to get a flat spell while we were there but the rest of the days were a good size up to massive and that was November. Even when it was big we found namotu lefts most of the time to be were everyone ended up and was fine as long as you didn't get stuck inside.

Yeah, I'm just not wanting to end up sliced up or the swell be so large/powerful that it's over my abilities.  I'm guessing the boats take you to wherever you want to go based on what you tell them?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:26 AM »

Yeah, I'm just not wanting to end up sliced up or the swell be so large/powerful that it's over my abilities.  I'm guessing the boats take you to wherever you want to go based on what you tell them?
guess it depends on what your deal includes were we were there were two boats with a group each and was just a majority vote on were we went to
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 09:57:37 AM by supuk »

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »
You will never be the same after going there!  I go every year. Bring a smaller kite, like a 9m and your 12m. It can get really windy.  You can pick whatever wave spot you like depending on the swell. Namotu Lefts is very forgiving...very long left goofy footer dream wave. If it's smaller then you can venture to Cloudbreak. The winds pick up almost every day around 1:00pm, so surf all morning and kite the evening. Paradise!  I kited Cloudy's last year it was insane!  Start training now. I made the mistake of not hard core training and by day three i was shot.  I then learned to do 2-3 hour stints so I Wouldn't fry my body. Stretch in-between, do Yoga and get a massage every day if you can. That's the only way i can stay on the water 8-10 hours a day for a week.

Dont forget to send us pics:)
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
You will never be the same after going there!  I go every year. Bring a smaller kite, like a 9m and your 12m. It can get really windy.  You can pick whatever wave spot you like depending on the swell. Namotu Lefts is very forgiving...very long left goofy footer dream wave. If it's smaller then you can venture to Cloudbreak. The winds pick up almost every day around 1:00pm, so surf all morning and kite the evening. Paradise!  I kited Cloudy's last year it was insane!  Start training now. I made the mistake of not hard core training and by day three i was shot.  I then learned to do 2-3 hour stints so I Wouldn't fry my body. Stretch in-between, do Yoga and get a massage every day if you can. That's the only way i can stay on the water 8-10 hours a day for a week.

Dont forget to send us pics:)

Nice, yeah I did the same before Costa Rica to make sure I could do 3 and 4 hour sessions. The problem is, I broke my foot 2 days ago, so........I'm at least out of the water for 6-8 weeks, and I can do so gym work, but it's pretty limited to my upper body and core.

I'm probably looking at January/February - I read the trades calm down a bit during that time period.

Again, if all else fails and the waves are out of my comfort zone, I'm sure we will find plenty to do and explore.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »

guess it depends on what your deal includes were we were there were two boats with a group each and was just a majority vote on were we went to

Waiting on more official details, but I'll probably go late January into February, staying at Tavarua. Ha, I just don't want to get stuck at Cloudbreak and not be able to surf, or miss out on good kiting. Is it mostly boat launches with regard to kiting?
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal