Author Topic: How to fall off a board safely?  (Read 13491 times)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
How to fall off a board safely?
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »
I am interested in the collective wisdom about how to minimize risk when falling off a board. Recently resurected post about SUP injuries got me thinking about this and then two days ago came off my board at speed, fell backwards, hit by the peaking wave and hyper flexed my neck. Nasty and a bit dazed and confused when I surfaced. Most injuries occur when falling off your board. Are there strategies to minimize the risk of injury. Gath helmet, impact vest and waist leash are a good start but I suspect that there are ways of falling that are safer others. Suggestions?

Thanks

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: How to fall off a board safely?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:29:30 PM »
Fall flat in shallow, fetal in deep. Generalization since every fall is unique but that's basically what I do.....or try to do.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:31:22 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:50:49 PM »
Wow, finally topic that addresses my true expertise. I have fallen under every condition known to man, from total flatwater, to nuking downwinder, to double overhead, to ankle snappers. I've fallen getting on my board, getting off, standing still, going fast, in a terrifying wave--you name it, I've fallen.

So. Lesson one grasshopper. Where there's a reef or nasty stuff on the bottom, be one with the surface. Lay out flat like the famous brown starfish. As you recover, don't kick your feet--that's how you get the monstah reef cuts. Make little spastic moves on the surface, reel your board to you, roll up onto it. DON'T kick. get on the board and knee-paddle away to general laughter. Content yourself with not leaving a blood trail even if your ego might be pierced. Egos don't bleed.

Double overhead, you blow the drop, out of control, your board pearls at the base of a wave that sounds like a freight train, you go in face first. No problem at all. There is nothing for you to do but roll up in a ball. You have no control, so nothing you do is wrong. Wait for the world to get quiet. Relax, get to the surface. Take a big breath, then see what's going to happen next. Probably won't be good. Lather, rinse. repeat.

Nuking downwinder. You're on the tail of your board and it's not enough. The nose buries in the wave in front and it just keeps going deeper. You are tossed forward like a dead cow in a trebuchet. Go deep. stay down. Count to ten and come up with your arm across your head. At any time your board could be picked up by the nuking wind and get tossed at your head. If you feel your leash pull hard, wait a little longer before coming to the surface so stuff can calm down.

Flatwater. You're practicing your very best paddle technique. For no apparent reason, you fall weakly off to one side like a confused toddler. Perfect time to practice your brown starfish, be one with the surface move. If you sink more than two inches consider it a failure

Any other time--starfish. Except--Getting on the board--don't worry about it, You look like a complete kook lying face down in two inches of water. Leap to your feet and say "I'm OK!!" Tell everyone around you that it's your first time.

Getting off the board--ditto, except crawl on your hands and knees onto the beach, roll onto your back and say "that was the toughest thirty miles I've ever paddled".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 08:00:39 PM »
Pono covered it. Plus one on the shallow reef flounder move. I know it well.

My best move ever is pulling up to the beach at Waikiki looking like as much of a stud as I can muster with tourists snapping pics and pointing. High tide, I hop off into knee deep water.... that's chest deep due to a steep beach drop off. I then proceed to flap around frantically due to tripping on my leash after I wade up. Humility achieved. Everyone was laughing when I finally hit the beach.

At high speed on a wave, my specialty is the ball slapped where you hit the water sideways at high speed with legs apart and the impact spanks your cojones. Not recommended but often achieved over here.

For real advice, I don't think the safety equip is bad but far more important is being willing to bail early and always get as far from your board as you can. I also try my best to be outside of my board so the wave helps keep it away. (Bailing off the back is best when possible and usually a mellower hit.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:25:05 PM »
"You are tossed forward like a dead cow in a trebuchet."
Ha
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 12:08:36 AM »
"Falling Flat" seems to be the most useful, who cares how it looks. I have gotten some reef bruises, but nothing serious as long as falling flat. I have never to date heard the roll up in a ball in deep stuff, which goes to show how spotty information can fill in eventually even when you read the forums. I think heavy shore break is the most threatening thing of all, it can really mess you up.

I just started to trust my reflexes enough to go out in moderate conditions without my impact vest, which I have worn virtually every session except two a couple of years ago when one was stolen and I was waiting for a new one.

I discovered that my balance is noticeably better WITHOUT the vest.  I guess the corseting action prevented some subtle upper body maneuvers, so I am finding my balance improving without it because I can twist and rotate better.  That presents an unpleasant dilemma between float, safety and balance, though.

However, I will still wear the vest when conditions look rough, or the waves are so big that the guys are guided missiles or the the board might smack me hard.  Same is true of helmet, condition specific, I have really been glad to have the helmet at times.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 01:30:30 AM »
You are probably less stable when wearing the impact vest because of the weight uphigh. The same thing happens with wearing a Camelbak. Try contrasting your balance wearing a waist-mounted vs. a back-mounted Camelbak and you will see what I mean.

Your body is quite finely timed to its weight distribution. Changing it by even small amounts can affect balance in critical situations. You won't notice it in everyday life, where our balance is rarely if ever tested to its limits. But get on a SUP in choppy conditions and even the smallest change from your natural state starts to have a noticeable effect.

The other thing that affects balance a lot is dehydration. So if wearing an impact vest makes you too hot it can compound the issue.

Losing weight and strengthening legs helps enormously with balance - alongside time on water, and equipment changes, obviously.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 03:51:45 AM »
Back when I started standup surfing, I used to fall on my board a lot. It would happen when I would catch a rail and go over the falls landing right on top of the board. I got some bruised ribs a few times and some bad charlie horses. One time the board flipped and my lower back landed right on the fins (ouch!).

I was lucky. All of my injuries were minor. I did get an O'Neil GooruTech impact vest which saved me a few times. I still wear it when it's overhead.

I think falling safely just comes naturally as you get better at controlling your board. I haven't come in contact with my board during a wipeout in years. I highly recommend getting an impact vest. Not only will it protect your ribs and torso, it also prevents drowning.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 09:14:13 AM »
Try to have  your  feet  be  the  last  thing  to  touch  the  board .

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 09:56:06 AM »
When the waves break here don't be there, or you gonna get drilled. - Turtle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6spBu2XAk4A

Maybe someone more better than I can fix up that video link?

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 10:18:59 AM »
You are probably less stable when wearing the impact vest because of the weight uphigh. The same thing happens with wearing a Camelbak. Try contrasting your balance wearing a waist-mounted vs. a back-mounted Camelbak and you will see what I mean.

Your body is quite finely timed to its weight distribution. Changing it by even small amounts can affect balance in critical situations. You won't notice it in everyday life, where our balance is rarely if ever tested to its limits. But get on a SUP in choppy conditions and even the smallest change from your natural state starts to have a noticeable effect.

The other thing that affects balance a lot is dehydration. So if wearing an impact vest makes you too hot it can compound the issue.

Losing weight and strengthening legs helps enormously with balance - alongside time on water, and equipment changes, obviously.

All good comments.  Max balance=board shorts and bare feet. The nekkider, the better.

In my case, with my very slow but gradual balance improvement, there was a learning and improving time when the vest probably didn't matter so much. However, it created a stubborn plateau that I didn't realize.  Without it the past month or so, my balance is improving again.  I'm throwing my body around in ways that I couldn't with the vest.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 10:36:31 AM »

LOL!  I've always loved that one.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
Yes, generally try to fall flat (starfish) backwards if it is shallow.

Also, you don't want to push off the bottom if it is sharp (some bottoms you don't even want to contact).
I guess you could wear booties but I don't usually.
Better to practice as Pono described.

Don't want to jump off onto your feet if shallow even if bottom is sandy - the water buffers you a lot less than you think
it would and you can injure your feet and/or ankles.  I have a few times. 
That is a tough one - getting screaming noserides in shallow water - gotta be careful - so fun, don't want to give them up.

Another thing to do if the waves are fast and big and you think you are going to get munched is to take a "preemptive" approach.
So, a wave your are on is going to get hollow and you think it will tumble you and the board and are concerned about being hit by the board and or
getting caught up in your leash, losing the paddle, etc. - I sometimes will dive into the face of the wave in a "preemptive" bailout.
If I was right, I might still get thrashed but probably less than if I'd kept riding.   Usually for bigger waves.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:40:43 PM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
Yowee Subber, I've taken that flat dive off the nose when surfing a closeout.  But, I know that the safer dismount is to shoot the board into the closing curl and fall back into the broken part of the wave.   

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 07:49:33 PM »

LOL!  I've always loved that one.

When we get south swells here, there can be somewhat notoriously long waits between sets. When the swell has long period and size, when the sets do come, they can be monsters, often close outs. I can't tell you how many times that line from Turtle has gone through my head on a south swell day, it happened just this morning and of course, there's Turtle, playing like a movie clip in my weird brain. 

People paddle out and not seeing any sets, sit on the inside to pick off the waist high background waves. A lot of these peeps have no clue why the rest of us are sitting outside another 100 yards. When a set comes, these bowling pins are lined up in exactly the wrong spot. On the plus side, they often get cleaned out on multiple wave sets so if you take wave 3 or 4, chances are you'll have wide open real estate. But we could use Turtle on the beach giving advice  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:51:09 PM by covesurfer »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal