Author Topic: Paddling Does A Body Good  (Read 10384 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling Does A Body Good
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 06:57:33 PM »
"I have never heard a good explanation for why gaining fat is considered more excellent as you age."

Haha.  This is at the same weight but with 1kg less fat mass and 1 kg more muscle mass.  BMD is also higher and a fair amount above the norm.  More important than any of that is blood markers are good.  So for those wondering -> it is very possible to achieve this in middle age.  Remember my blubber was around 25 lbs more 3-1/2 yrs ago.  Right on my gut and hips and inner thighs.  Some day will get around to distilling all this.  My friends always ask -> and am very happy they make a concerted effort to lose excess fat now.  They understand clearly about sarcopenia and diabetes and falling due to poor balance.  And need to do something fast to change that.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 06:59:51 PM »
So what's the prescription for when you hit 70?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
Well not 70 anytime soon so no firsthand prescription.  But first would get and fully understand your current blood test and see if anything is out of whack there and fix that.  Especially check your CRP and HbA1C.  Then would get a DEXA so you have a valid start point for fat mass muscle mass and BMD.  From my perspective -> getting and eating healthy enough and on the right track were the primary goals - secondary was addressing BF and muscle mass and BMD.  But my approach is no deprivation - so ice cream chocolates beer cheese wine fries burgers ketchup etc all are ok for me in moderation.  And so far all good.

Only took a couple of months to drop the fat -> that was pretty easy.  The real trick was to keep it off and build muscle mass and increase bone density.  Some say if you can keep the fat from coming back after 3-5 years you are doing something right.  Many methods apparently work -> so just have to find what works for you and your lifestyle.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 07:18:27 AM »
Muscle burns far more calories than fat.  The weight gain the average person sees ramping into their mid 50's is largely lifestyle.  Less exercise, less fat burn, weight increases, and the downbound spiral continues until 55ish where muscle and bone loss accelerate and start to win.  The gain in the first stretch is largely avoidable and likely contributes heavily to the rate of decline in the second phase. 

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 11:35:58 AM »
Interesting chart.  Yeah the whole matter of body composition remodeling is somewhat complex vs simple weight loss.  Apparently BMR hypothalamus hormones sleep rest stress work emotions time etc are factored into the equation.  But do think there is a personalized solution or at least partial solution for everyone.

It amazes me this young guy in his early 20s wanted to put on weight because he felt he was too skinny and scrawny.  He obviously had no help or clue how to put on muscle mass.  But many apparently do this to bulk up.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:38:57 AM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
A lot of muscle loss is preventable with age but that is not the big factor in body fat % rising so rapidly until 55.  Most is lifestyle.   

Obesity costs the USA 150 to 220 Billion a year.

Partially off topic but check this out regarding alcohol use:

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »
This might help explain the fall-off after age 55 in the chart above.  But certainly lifestyle plays a big part in BF% rising so rapidly until age 55.  Many factors are implicated for the global obesity epidemic.  Notice the change in weight of an 18yo throughout time ex. 1900 vs 1950 vs 1980.  What is normal today was certainly not normal before.

"Therefore, premature mortality of obese young and middle-aged adults would tend to decrease mean body weight and BMI in surviving older adults. In fact, data from longitudinal cohort studies suggest that body weight and BMI do not change, or decreases only slightly, in older adults (60–70 y old at study entry)"

"Aging is associated with considerable changes in body composition. After 20–30 y of age, fat-free mass (FFM) progressively decreases, whereas fat mass increases. FFM (primarily skeletal muscle) decreases by up to 40% from 20 to 70 y of age"

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/82/5/923.full

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/an-epidemic-of-obesity/
Fast is FUN!   8)

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 07:18:34 PM »

mjb1959

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
this is my favorite youtube series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArZDT5zXSR0

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
This is all pretty helpful to me. I know it sounds odd, but I'm determined to get into great shape. Might take me a few years to fully realize, but I'm certainly not going to take the path recommended yesterday by an acquaintance--"you're seventy, why would you make the effort now? This is the time of life to relax." He's also seventy. Gave me the willies, but it served as a great negative example
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 12:00:55 AM »
I've been shooting for "Fit by Fifty" (made it up as a goal) for about 5 years. On the plus side, I've lost about 35 pounds. The downside I'm just getting below 280 consistently - bad knees limit treadmill  - where my I can push myself at the limit of oxygen intake (more angle/slower speed to keep the knees from going out) - but I have finally gotten out on the water this summer - while I can't push to oxygen failure (not strong enough upper body)  - it's way easier on the knees.

Maybe this year I'll be "fit" (I've decided getting below 250 will be my mark) - I'm 50 as of January so....

Anyway - it's been great, even with only flatwater to work on I've been really enjoying it. I keep working on my stroke, my reach, my breathing - and working on getting out as much as I can.

At 50, I am realizing 70 is just around the corner - I plan to be paddling faster by then :D

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 04:20:27 AM »
"Therefore, premature mortality of obese young and middle-aged adults would tend to decrease mean body weight and BMI in surviving older adults. In fact, data from longitudinal cohort studies suggest that body weight and BMI do not change, or decreases only slightly, in older adults (60–70 y old at study entry)"

That is a very sad reality but certainly fits the chart.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:22:25 AM by Admin »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
This vid helps explain DEXA body comp fat mass loss -> weight loss is not even mentioned.  Before undertaking any weight loss -> one should fully understand what is happening in their body.  Otherwise could easily make matters worse by dropping too much muscle mass and lowering BMR.  Throwing your hypothalamus and hormones completely out of whack -> setting you up for ongoing failure down the road.  This in part is what makes permanent fat loss so difficult for many.  But there is way.  I am confident.  Trick is making something very complex -> simple for the end user.  That is the rub.  PB you will achieve your goals if you have a true burning desire.  ;)

https://youtu.be/BP0JxkRTOPU
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal