Author Topic: NEW SUNOVA "CREEK MODEL" first review (Not CREEK)  (Read 13405 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
NEW SUNOVA "CREEK MODEL" first review (Not CREEK)
« on: June 15, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
OK Guys

Will P has given me first review of our very own Rik Weeks personal design. I have more in production and a smaller version in production as well I hear

Here is Will's words
Love the nose. Fit and finish is great. Feels like the Speeed surfing from the tail. Super light!  Very positive and controllable even banking off the top. Super stable while waiting standing for waves. Goes over foam great.   I really need to surf it in better than the 2 to 4 foot choppy 20 knot winds to get a real feel for it. It fits in my Montero no problem. Has a bevel rail under the nose that really works!  It cuts through chop when taking off. Great Bert design there.
The cons. Feels sort of bouncy, like a lot of rocker.  A little slow to paddle but catches waves well. Feels like the Starboard 8'11 widepoint but more stable and It surfs better. Hate the domed deck. For sure will hurt my knees but if it adds more performance it will be worth it. Don't know why he didn't make the standing area flat?  Super pleased with it. It will become my "go to " board as it's fun to ride. Probably over fined. I will change the center fin for smaller and see?
I can't find his pics
basically the CREEK model has the ACID nose The SPEEED's tail and Rocker Thinned out SUNOVA RAILS and Skate features
If I find the pics I'll post or maybe Will or Creek can add

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: NEW SUNOVA "CREEK MODEL" first review (Not CREEK)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:13:20 PM »
Kool!  Will it come with a pic of Creek stenciled on the top or does that cost extra?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 08:11:13 PM »
Domed deck?!? No thank you. I'll be back getting my knee shot up in a week. And I hate them besides. Why do people DO that!!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:13:06 PM »
That's so cool! Creek you're a legend!  8)
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »
Yes, I forgot to say congratulations, now get them to ditch the domed deck, and the popup handle if they're still doing those. It's the only thing that's kept me off a Sunova so far.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 04:33:08 AM »
I designed this board last fall, for the upcoming winter juice and challenging conditions.

But.... I had so many Sunova's that I didn't feel comfortable asking Bert to build me a custom.... so I kept it to myself :)

Will P got in touch and asked me which Sunova I would recommend for him.
He seemed a good match for my design... so I sent him a copy.
Will got the ball rolling by asking me to have Bert build a few and he would buy one.... that was all the excuse I needed....game on!
Bert liked my design, put his amazing talents to work refining the details and put it into production.
Thank you Will, for giving me the opportunity to get this done :)

Getting pictures that properly capture a boards design is always challenging, so my post will go up later today on the Sunova page with pics and video of the board. Zero surf... not a ripple, so that will have to wait.

Side note:
Not an Acid nose...

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 04:56:35 AM »
@Creek

I'll be looking forward to seeing your new design for Sunova along with the video. And I always enjoy watching your videos because of the detailed info you put into them such as length, width, thickness and liters of volume.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 05:44:50 AM »
Huge Congrat's to ya Creek on your design!!! Also kudo's to Sunova for their willingness to respond to your thoughts/input.

Super exciting to think about what's coming down the line in the future with additional tweaks and ideas given Sunova's apparent desire to continue to please!!!!!

I'm wondering if its possible to bin the Sunova SUP line into some broad categories using parameters such as wind speed, wave size, type of break, rider ability, geographic suitability, etc.  I realize this information is in LOT's of your review comments and to a lesser degree in the Sunova description but (to me and maybe others) maybe there's a way to have a standardized template with this type of information in each of the descriptions on the webpage or here on the Forum(?)    Just a thought......

All in all, VERY cool

And again Congrat's Creeker.......(I chuckle at the idea of a little goatee head stencil on your design - that'd be pretty sweet!)

8) 8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 06:46:50 AM »
Congrats Creek!  this is awesome- sounds exactly like a board i would like for east coast winter as well.

Agree with Pono- while my knees can handle it- domed decks don't do it for me.  Whats more strange is Sunova domes their decks- and on the shroom- where you'd think there is enough surface area to be flat (or with steped rails) they domed it INWARD!?

Either way can wait to see pics and reviews.  Ill have to get up and ride it!

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 07:13:24 AM »
You might want to hold off on "domed" deck conversations till you see my pictures and discussion on the board. :)

The Design of the "Shroom" is very technical.... the concave deck in that design has the specific task of transferring foot pressure to the rail and concave bottom in order to sink the rail of a very wide board without effort.... hence at 235 lbs, I can very easily ride an 8'3 @ 126L .

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »
Jeez!...  'Domed Decks' got me all nervous.   I ran out to the container in a panic; "I don't want any damn doomed decks!"  I 'sticked' my Skate XL and Speeed 9-5.  On the Skate, at 8" (20cm) from the C/L the dropoff appears to be ~3/8s" (9mm)  ...and the Speeed looks more like 1/4" (6mm) 8" offset from center.   

'Memory is not totally clear, but I had a Fanatic Allwave; I'm not sure it was flat, but it could have been.  The difference was the fricking rails seemed as thick as the center and in anything but glass, it was 'corky' as a fishing bobber with a perch on. My Sunnovas are shaped like real surfboards, not 50/50 foamies.

Sorry, Rick... I got distracted by my own 'Decks of Doom' predicament. Congratulations.  I know you have been working on this for quite a while. My nose tells me that your experience in the lineup and 'Merlin's' (Bert Berger) elements compounding should be pretty special.  Film at 11?

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
sheesh..... without giving up ALL of my design, heres a peek at the deck.

Hopefully this will satisfy the "deck anxiety" till I can get my post up....
and no, I am not going to rush it.... these things take time to do correctly.

I have a disabled car to deal with at the moment, that is stuck in a store parking lot.

kliss99

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
Very cool STC!!!

Deck doesn't looked domed.  Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.
8'6 JL Superfrank
8'10 NSP Surf Wide
9'2 Fanatic Allwave 2013
14' NSP Cocomat

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
Subscribed!  Can't wait to see it.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 10:42:11 AM »
Woohoo, looking forward to seeing this new board.

8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal