Author Topic: Downwind foot option  (Read 2553 times)

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Downwind foot option
« on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »
In my search to improve my newbie downwind technique, I have been playing with a new experimental tool. Due to a poor combination of age, lack of paddling strength after a winter of skiing, and newbie skills, I miss catching a number of bumps that I think I should have caught. I got to thinking that it would help if I could get my weight further up towards the nose for that brief moment of catching the bumps, like I would if I were paddling into a weak or stubborn wave on one of my SUS boards. What has been holding me back from that approach on my F16 is the tiller. When lining up to catch a bump, I am often active on the tiller to get the best angle. This limits how far I can move forward, plus stepping up on the front part of the tiller mechanism and cables doesn't seem like a great idea. Today I tried a different approach of leaving my left foot on the tiller, and stepping way forward with my right foot onto the nice clear deck area near the handle. Paddling goofy foot felt a little strange, so I did an hour of flat water and downbreezing in that stance just to get comfortable in it, and to get used to using good paddling technique from a staggered goofy foot stance. I caught a few micro swells, and being able to shift my weight up onto my right foot while it was up ahead of the tiller seemed to make a noticeable difference in the ease of catching these micro bumps. It triggered a memory of having good success doing this the first time that I rode an F16 and fell in love with it.
Anyone who has ever taught someone to surf, knows that the most common problem in catching a wave is the person lying too far back on the board. From that position, it doesn't matter how hard they paddle, they will never catch anything. I am thinking that it might help me overcome some of my other weaknesses by applying this strategy to bump catching. Thoughts?
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downwind foot option
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:38:32 PM »
If it works, do it.

Very small bumps require getting well forward to get on them.

Using the rudder increases drag, so it is best not to be using it much when you are trying to catch really small bumps: you need to generate all the speed you can when the conditions aren't providing you with much to work with.

Downbreezing in marginal conditions is an art form all of its own. Knowing which bumps you can make and which will not be worth the effort takes time on water. There aren't really any short cuts to that. Sometimes, thrashing about can actually lead to slower average speeds, and relaxing, paddling less and concentrating on timing and efficiency can actually make you faster. It's all very zen.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
Re footwork options..

I think stepping forward to get the nose to drop at times is important and not doing it is the reason a lot of bumps are missed.

You can see me doing it a number of times in this vid.. It is tricky when the steering system is in the way.. Step on it or ahead of it if necessary.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:10:49 PM by DavidJohn »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:50 AM »
You can step on the tiller, I do it all the time and I'm a 230-pound moose. It's not comfortable to stay there, but to hop a bump, no problem.

A better solution though might be to get Jeremy or Dave K to show you how to boot a board into a bump. Jeremey does it with ridiculous ease. Basically, you make your last stroke with a lot of hip thrust and think of your feet as shoving the board forward. You're unweighting the board and shoving it forward using the paddle as a pole. That's pointless in flatwater, the recoil is worse than the forward momentum gained, but to catch a bump it's great--especially little ones.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 12:03:00 PM »

A better solution though might be to get Jeremy or Dave K to show you how to boot a board into a bump. Jeremey does it with ridiculous ease. Basically, you make your last stroke with a lot of hip thrust and think of your feet as shoving the board forward. You're unweighting the board and shoving it forward using the paddle as a pole. That's pointless in flatwater, the recoil is worse than the forward momentum gained, but to catch a bump it's great--especially little ones.

This is where the hollow/ultralight boards really shine for me.  In past years on a production 17v1 it was tough to pull off, but this year on a hollow ultralight 17v2 this little move was responsible for catching a lot of bumps I would have missed in the past.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal