Author Topic: Paddling Does A Body Good  (Read 10386 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Paddling Does A Body Good
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:33:19 PM »
After a fairly disastrous winter, I stepped on my Withings scale in early April and saw 243 and 29 percent body fat. Holy shit. Paddling every opportunity I have, and biking, walking, eating at home, and cutting way back on alcohol I'm at 230 and 20 percent blubber. About where I was at the end of last summer. I'll try to continue this trend. I'd like to see ten percent body fat, but that's a stretch. I haven't made any major changes--a weak version of intermittent fasting (mostly skipping breakfast and trying to eat dinner early) and I'm aiming at 210 miles of paddling per month--three times my age. I started tracking June 1 and I'm at 49 miles for the month--the river isn't cooperating. Tonights 8.5 mile paddle was easily a 16-mile paddle, but it was on the treadmill current. But I'm going to just push on. I'll increase the bicycle time a little by parking the truck and only using it when I have to.

But mostly I'm paddling.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddling Does A Body Good
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:19:23 AM »
It's nice to have goals, but lets face it...

I haven't seen my 6 pack in over 20 years and I suspect it has been just as long for you :)
But at age 70 you're still putting some good miles.

And what's the point if you can't finish a double Viento run with a good chicken teriyaki dish.
(and some other side dishes  ;) )
in progress...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 06:12:58 AM »
I'm kind of disgusted with myself. I actually could see my 6 pack starting to show for the 1st CCBC 10 years ago but it's well hidden now...... :(. I've lost about 10 lbs in the last month and aiming for another 20 before the CCBC but alas the 6 pack doesn't start showing until I'm 240 or so..... :P. I need to sew my friggin lips shut or something. I think if I could hit 220 half my problems would go with it. I think the Greeks were creating a metaphor for the allure of good food when they came up with the sirens.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

mjb1959

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 06:20:47 AM »
to the op...
keep it up 8)
2 years ago i was over 240 :-[
i thought i needed hip surgery, doc said "lose some  weight first"
2 years of yoga and 1 year of paddling
under 195 today, and the stinking doc was right... hips and knees feel good!
eat less
and
paddle on

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 06:23:55 AM »
No point in being disgusted bro, though I do know the feeling, it's a lifetime battle for us. Visible abs are a fine goal. Mine start showing a little at 230, but definitely of the "bubble wrapped" variety. I'm doing crunches, squats and pushups every morning. Pushups are kind of horrible with my shoulders, but I just do it. I need to do some weight stuff too, my overhead lifting ability is pathetic, but at least I can do it. For a while I couldn't push my left arm up over my head without helping with the right. Now I'm up to a rocking ten reps of 14 pounds. Progress.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »
to the op...
keep it up 8)
2 years ago i was over 240 :-[
i thought i needed hip surgery, doc said "lose some  weight first"
2 years of yoga and 1 year of paddling
under 195 today, and the stinking doc was right... hips and knees feel good!
eat less
and
paddle on

Awesome!

You  lost the weight from just paddling and yoga?

Many years ago I did yoga religiously three days per week and think it kept me down about 10 pounds.
I didn't think it was the exercise but maybe breathing all the air out of my stomach or maybe doing & holding the poses -
- you couldn't really do them well, unless you were thinner?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:30:07 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:52:57 AM »
I inherited the skinny gene from both of my parents. As an example. When I was 18 and a senior in high school, I weighed a whopping 105 pounds.....soaking wet. This was from a government scale when I had to apply for US "draft card" per government law back then.

I was 23 years old when I got married (and still am to the same woman), and I weighed 123 pounds. When I became a boat captain at 40, I weighed 155 pounds.

I'm 67 now, retired and I weigh 147 pounds. And I can eat all I want and if I do, I will "balloon" up to.........151 pounds which usually happens between the months of October till the end of December.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »
I hate you. Admin is the same. He eats three times what I do and looks like maybe 9 percent body fat with lots of muscle. I hate him too. I love good food, I spend a lot of time cooking and learning technique, and then I taste it and leave it. My wife loves to bake. She makes great desserts and gives it all away. If she didn't I'd weigh 270. I eat a lot less than most of the people I know, eat a much more restricted and healthy diet (my wife is type 1 diabetic) and get more exercise than most of them, and I struggle to shed five pounds. Genetics suck.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:40:29 AM by PonoBill »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »
If you are 20% at 70yo you should be fine.  But note that BIA scales can be somewhat out of whack until calibrated close to DEXA values.  Sub 20% BF at anything over 50yo is good actually.  Anything less than 15% is pretty extreme over 50.  But no doubt SUP is good for you.

Boothy might be around 10% at his age.  Forget about 10% at 70.  Haha. ;)

"Student-athletes benefit from focusing on altering body composition more than just weight alone. Losing body fat while maintaining or increasing FFM is typically favorable in sports. When the focus is limited to scale weight, improper fueling becomes more likely as does the risk of losing lean tissue, bone mass or energy stores and gaining undesirable fat stores."

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/sport-science-institute/body-composition-what-are-athletes-made
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
What he said and add 30 lbs.... :)

We both somehow missed out on our Dad's skinny gene.....at 6'-2" he never weighed over 190 or so I'd guess. But I was 220 lbs at 15 with very low body fat, tank tested at 16 at 3%. I blame my wife's good cooking...I was 225 when we married in 81.....average about 2 lbs for every year of marriage.... :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:52:12 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 06:12:28 PM »
Some big guys actually have a ton of muscle mass even tho a layer of fat covers up their abs.  This guy just needed to cut his fat mass and he would be so much better off.  But instead he did what a lot of peeps do and lost a whack of muscle mass.  His body fat % actually went up even tho he lost 7.5kg!

Second pic is a DEXA before lean -> to not so lean after trying to put on weight.  He tried for muscle mass but most of it was fat unfortunately.  Really does require some time and knowledge to get the right mix.  Even without a DEXA you can just tell if you are getting lean and stronger or skinny and weaker.  The scan just puts numbers to track is all.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

BetterIwas

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »

Do not wish to be a sanctimonious twat  but I found this book helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Aussie-Bloke-Slim-Down-Footballer-ebook/dp/B01JGPOYGK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1496804732&sr=8-3&keywords=peter+fitzsimons

Peter was an Australian international rugby player – he ened up over  150 kg  (330 lbs) – tried about every diet and failed. Finally came to getting rid of sugar and, for many reasons, also gave up booze.

He said he does not do moderation and stopping drinking was the only solution for him. Whilst he did not consider himself an alcoholic  he could understand many people thinking he was. He was a serious luncher and drinker.

Book is an entertaining read and appeals to many Australian "blokes".

His biggest whinge is that it all proved so easy in the end and he wasted decades trying every diet under the sun.

Peter is a good guy, written about 30 books mainly historical or biographies , and is a journalist.

He kindly spoke at the wake of  a friend's son.

I and most people I know who have dropped sugar, essentially not eating processed foods, still do drink alcohol though at a quiet  moderate level. I can do some moderation - I just make sure I only drink moderate amounts of alcohol when guests are around or I am out .

If you're looking for sugar free recipes this site is a good one .   https://iquitsugar.com/recipe/

I am naturally a fat bugger as are all my family. I love cooking and eating and  finding the change of diet, as opposed to going on a diet, works and I can  still cook and eat good food.

Agree with Eagle about the proper body fat percentages. Worth getting analysed properly – in my experience the body fat scales I have used are not particularly accurate but can be helpful in showing a trend.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »
"I am naturally a fat bugger as are all my family. I love cooking and eating and finding the change of diet, as opposed to going on a diet, works and I can  still cook and eat good food.

Agree with Eagle about the proper body fat percentages. Worth getting analysed properly – in my experience the body fat scales I have used are not particularly accurate but can be helpful in showing a trend."

Haha - but at 17% you seem to be a fat bugger with a big whack of muscle mass and low amounts of visceral fat.  Visceral fat as most should know by now is pretty evil stuff.

"Many people don't know this, but skinny people may also be more likely to get diabetes than normal-sized folks."  So being light weight but having a gut can be a problem.  Especially those with low muscle mass and weak.  Many have no idea they have diabetes -> until it is well progressed.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/too-fat-or-too-skinny-which-is-really-healthier.html
Fast is FUN!   8)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 04:48:45 PM »
Sub 20% BF at anything over 50yo is good actually.  Anything less than 15% is pretty extreme over 50.

I have never heard a good explanation for why gaining fat is considered more excellent as you age. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 05:26:41 PM »
If you don't struggle like mad, you lose 10% of your muscle mass every ten years after age 40. Most people also lose bone mass. Take a look at my bicep/tricep sometime. Twenty pound bag with ten pounds of muscle in it. Worse than my scrotum (oops, TMI). Spooks the shit out of me. Stay the same weight and it's automatic--your 9 percent becomes 20 percent.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:28:49 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal