Author Topic: Help Me Pick a 14' (Fanatic Strike, Infinity, Bic Tracer WS?)  (Read 9387 times)

TrailRunner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hey there,

I'm 5'9" ~140lbs and have been paddling for a bit now and really getting into it.  I have two 12'6" boards, but everyone keeps telling me that a 14' would be even faster (who doesn't want more speed?).  Most of the paddling I do is 4-6 mile flatwater river runs after work (pushing ~5mph average on those).  I'd like to venture into more advanced paddling and longer runs.

So, let's get to the meat and potatoes - been toying with the idea of getting a 14' and have the opportunity to get one now.  I am looking at 2017 Fanatic Strike, 2017 Infinity Blackfish/Whiplash, or 2017 Bic Tracer WS (leaning more toward Fanatic/Infinity based on reviews/technology).  Question I have for you all is about width.  My current 12'6" boards are 27.5" wide 2014 Fanatic Falcon Flatwater and 26" Bic Tracer WS.  To be honest, I feel more stable on the 26" Tracer (probably because newer tech/design makes it more stable.  It's tough for me to demo boards in my area, so any help would be appreciated.  Any thoughts on width for my weight (I'm very stable on the 26" currently) and the big differences between 24 and 26 as far as stability and speed?

Thanks!

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me Pick a 14' (Fanatic Strike, Infinity, Bic Tracer WS?)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:14:53 PM »
Hard to beat the Whiplash on flatwater and at your size you could easily handle 24".  I way 215 and paddle a Blackfish 26" daily and find it as stable as a dock.  The Infinity crew has figured some things out about making skinny boards way more stable than was thought they could be.  Especially if you add in an Allison fin system, you'd have no problem on the 24.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
TrailRunner, I recommend the Whiplash. It's a great board that really shines in flat water but can also handle open water/chop extremely well also. I currently have a 12'6 x 25" Whiplash (I'm 5'11, 190) and can paddle it in all conditions and also surf it frequently. I've owned several Whiplash boards, as well as Blackfish models, over the years. Can't go wrong with either but since you primarily paddle on flatwater, I'd say go for the Whiplash. 14'x24 shouldn't be an issue whatsoever, given your size.

jsupsocal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
A 14ft board will inherently give you some added stability vs the 12'6 in most instances. If you're very stable at 26inch and at your weight my nod would be in favor of the Infinity Blackfish at 24 or 25in and in the production model you'd get 270litres of volume, ample if not a little more than you need for your weight.

BUT BY ALL MEANS, add in the Allison 4 fin setup to your configuration and budget. It is a true "system" approach and it will allow you to maximize your abilities in a variety of conditions you'll encounter while paddling. There are several options within the 4 fin setup that can be matched to your intentions, ie.. I want to go as fast as possible, or I want to be as stable as possible in rough/windy/choppy conditions, or I am concentrating on sprints and/or long distance.

If you're strictly a flat water paddler, the Whiplash in the 24/25 is a standout on the flats, again using the potential in the 4 fin system from Allison.

I own the 2017 Blackfish 14x26 and love it for all conditions.
2017 Infinity Blackfish custom 14x26 280L
2015 Lahui Kai 14x27

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
I had the chance to demo the 2017 14x25 Whiplash and it is an absolute joyride. The new
Nose on it really works well both in flat and some rougher conditions.

Stability is superb, I'm 5'8/180 and was very comfortable on it, never had to think about it
which means you could paddle with reckless abandonment on the flats but also put a lot of
power in rougher conditions.

And of course the big advantage over the other boards is the Allison 4 fin system which opens
a world of options to fine tune your ride.

The one I tested felt like 21-22 pounds (slightly heavier than my 19.5LBS Blackfish) so it was
super light which is always a boon. You can't go wrong with this board.
in progress...

jsupsocal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
I had the chance to demo the 2017 14x25 Whiplash and it is an absolute joyride. The new

Stability is superb, I'm 5'8/180 and was very comfortable on it, never had to think about it
which means you could paddle with reckless abandonment on the flats but also put a lot of

And of course the big advantage over the other boards is the Allison 4 fin system which opens

The one I tested felt like 21-22 pounds (slightly heavier than my 19.5LBS Blackfish) so it was

Burchas.... I talked to you on a 3 way with Larry on Friday... what is the volume of your BF and I presume your 19.5lbs is sans fins ?
2017 Infinity Blackfish custom 14x26 280L
2015 Lahui Kai 14x27

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »
... what is the volume of your BF and I presume your 19.5lbs is sans fins ?

Thought it was you. BF is 275 liter and yes, no fins.
in progress...

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 02:08:27 PM »
Do not want to sound like a fan boys club but extremely happy with the Whiplash as a flat water board that can handle the not so flat.....and the Blackfish cannot be faulted in open and rough water. Construction and finish are also excellent. Demoing might be more of an issue but if you have a chance that should be the clincher.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
thumps up for the Whiplash and get the right size  ;)

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »
To go even faster get an unlimited length board. 14' is fast for SUP, but the fastest craft out there are surf ski's which usually range from 18' to 21' long. There's a few brands such as SIC, Infinity etc. I use a local shaper, Sean Thomas of Echo Composites near Seattle.  My 17' and 18' boards means less work, more speed providing you have a good stroke.  Beware that some UL's can be too narrow for rough water conditions so get something that fits your ht and wt plus skill level and conditions you'll be in. 

For the 14's, try before you buy. Not all 14's are fast. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 04:59:24 PM »

The extra inch may make that much of a difference but the 24" is not like that at all.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »
If I had the extra funds I would choose the whiplash
I own the boarworks version. Older version, but a great board. The new one has been improved upon 4 or 5 times over. I'd bet it is fantastic

IslandFox

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 08:25:28 PM »
To go even faster get an unlimited length board. 14' is fast for SUP, but the fastest craft out there are surf ski's which usually range from 18' to 21' long.

For the 14's, try before you buy. Not all 14's are fast.

I was on a 19'6" x 24.75 unlimited for the last couple years. Went and paddled a 14x24 Blackfish.....and felt like I was paddling in mud. Ha!

I agree with most above though...OP should be just fine on a 14x24 or 25 whip.

TrailRunner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 07:27:59 AM »
This is some great feedback!  Thanks everyone!  Seems like the general consensus is go for the Whiplash in whichever width appeals to me most.  I've heard GREAT feedback in general on the latest Whiplash and had a great conversation with Justin @ Infinity about it.

Does anyone have a comparison/thought about Whiplash vs. 2017 Fanatic Strike (second gen. Strike)?  I know the Strikes doesn't have the same cool fin setup potentials, but any other differences that would be worth while to know about based on your experience?

rfhestdalen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 09:47:26 PM »
Interesting feedback on the Whiplash.  I currently own an SIC V2, which is great for DW, not so great in the flats.  I would like to get another 14' board that is more efficient on flat water, but also is effective in rougher lake conditions and DB.  Most lakes, even large lakes, don't get the Gorge like conditions and this is were I paddle 90% of the time.  Our lake usually has some kind of wind.   Sure it can be flat in the AM, but most of the time its wind effected. Most races on lakes are wind effected, such as the Race Around the Rock in Seattle.  I have read that the BlackFish can be just as fast on flat water as the Whiplash. Although, I'm thinking that would require a high paddle rate that the pros have no problem doing for long periods of time, but for us mortals, ie me, thats not possible.  I would like a board that would give a good glide with each paddle stroke, and is efficent in upwind, cross wind as well as down wind breezes. 
Which board would I benefit more from, the BF or the Whiplash?  I'm 6'7", 210-215#, so getting a 26" wide board with the Allison 4 fin setup is intriguing to me.  Or should I be considering a 26" Naish Javelin, or an Allstar 24.5" or 27". 
Your thoughts will be appreciated.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal