Author Topic: Learning to Foil – What to Know: Go Out And Surf  (Read 16350 times)

supthecreek

Re: Learning to Foil – What to Know: Go Out And Surf
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
"Rather stand more upright, back slightly arched with shoulders facing forward."

Tha is what I always noticed about early foil..... everything was very controlled and subtle.
Very gentle weight shift with the ankles produced a significant carve. The upper body was always very quiet. That is how I always envisioned it.... sort of like standing on a bicycle seat and swooping turns.

I've heard "unicycle on ice", but I figure more like the bicycle, because you have a front and a back wing, therefore more directional stability than a unicycle.

The dancer will fare better than the brut....

Fly on mr beasho!

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »
My current rig. 
  • 8' 2" x 32" L-41 @ 139 liters - SUPER stable
  • KAI Go-Foil
  • Kenalu Mana 90 @ 1" Overhead
  • Phat-Tire eBike - The best way to carry the "Christmas Tree with Lights" to the beach

Beasho,

Thanks for sharing the lessons you learned from foiling--very helpful!  We tried to do a foil session behind my friend's boat last Sunday which ended abruptly due to the loss of a transmission pin.  Subsequently I took the foil out to the surf for a quick session yesterday to get used to the foil and for a full session this morning.  Interestingly, I found the foil much easier in the surf as opposed to behind the boat especially for those of us that are experienced surfers but don't waterski or wakeboard.  So I second your perspective that you can pick this up by getting out and surfing!

In this morning's session, I caught 7 waves only limited by the fact that I stayed away from the point and waited for set waves with no one on it.  The first two rides were squirrelly but in two of the runs, I was able to turn down the line for a short run and exit off the back of the wave--the first time I did this, I think I squealed like a girl!  My observations are: 1) the feeling of lifting on foil is addictive; 2) squaring the hips and shoulders forward as Sam Pa'e indicated in his video really helped; and 3) foiling can make high tide mush fun.  I also agree that it is a trippy feeling to have your weight shifted forward as you drop in and just when you think you would fall, the foil lifts and you take off!

Attached is my method of transport.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to Foil – Day 13 & 14
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »
These were the sessions that weren’t, rather they wouldn’t have been without the foil. 

Conditions were chopped up blowing 8 to 10 with what looked like NOTHING breaking from the beach.  As I paddled out I saw some 4 to 5 foot faces with intermittent 3 to 4 feet on the inside.  I was joined by Haley in the first session and was doing very well.

Just when I think I have things figured out Haley sits on the inside and I say “Hey there are bigger waves out here.”  He responds “I know but this inside wave is forming better.”  And it was.  I was super comfortable with the size and only fell twice catching a total of 12 waves.

The second session was more interesting.  It was the next morning and when I biked up to the beach it once again looked like NOTHING.  Tom was on the beach walking his dog and said “It doesn’t look like much out there.”  I agreed but said the day before looked the same and Haley and I had a good time.  I paddled out and found more of the same.

Then a flock of sea birds came over the horizon like a cloud.  I paddled out for some adventure.  After the spectacle I found myself 1/3 the way to Mavericks. 

Even when the swell is small the Mavericks channel kicks up some size and I witnessed heaving waves in the 7 to 8 foot range.  They would stand up and then fade, feathering but not quite breaking and then just roll along until they would wrap and break as 4 footers on the inner lagoon. 

I figured I would give them a try.  2 waves later I was whistling Dixie having notched two more waves at Phlegm balls.  The second was a harrowing take off on an 8 foot face.  The wave mellowed after I took off but with the foil you are up and running.  I hit 22 mph and rode the wave for 225 yards.  The TRACE shows the takeoff 80 ~yards WSW of Sail Rock.  The bowl at Mavericks would be another 300 yards further out.  As the fall progresses things could get very interesting.

Pretty exciting for NOTHING.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:52:39 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:08 AM »
The birds were going CRAZY underfoot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xq-IEyxX8o
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:46:39 AM by Beasho »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal