Author Topic: Dual box mast mount  (Read 2777 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Dual box mast mount
« on: June 18, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
Ok, getting deeper into the design of my foil project and thinking of how to reinforce the 6+4 bottom of my Simmons SUP.

Rather than just do a HD foam mount, since everyone agrees that the skin takes the force and not the foam, I'm considering a carbon and glass variant on SUPUK's idea.

2 boxes laid out face down at the correct distance and then make a glass and carbon plate by vacuuming a few layers around them. Say make the flange/plate 12" wide by 24" long.  Then you could cut the bottom skin out 12x24, route the spots for the boxes and lay the whole thing in and glass it to the bottom skin. (Probably overlap it an inch or so if you sanded the end gets thinner and faired the bottom of the board.

I might even stiffen it up with some triangular braces that you could slit the foam to accommodate.

What do you guys think? Anyone following me here?

Post up other ideas but I've got a 1.5lb EPS blank with layers of 6ox and 4 oz glass. No sandwich. How far do I need to go to secure this thing?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dual box mast mount
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »
I have to disagree the foam very much so takes a lot of the load which is why the HD foam is important as it spreads it out over a larger area. Not saying you couldn't do it by vac baging around some finboxes but you will need to make it fairly thick (a fin is anot 32layers of 6oz cloth for example) to take the load and you are still going to have to route out a area for it and glass it over. It's doable but would be heavy and a lot of work.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:50:38 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work. The long chinook mast boxes I installed into the bottom of my L41 are holding up perfectly. I lent the board to Rod Parmenter to try with his foils. He's been using it for about three weeks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 08:22:21 PM »
Ok so I'm overthinking it then. So UK, an HD foam box and Pono, how thick was the patch you put on your L41?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »
4oz under the boxes in Gorilla Glue. 6oz Carbon, 4oz fiberglass. Bagged it, no sanding, just a hotcoat.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
Perfect.

On that note, I just rehabbed another longboard for a buddy and when I hot coated the bottom of the nose replacement patch I just couldn't bother with sanding it down to get it back to half that smooth. I left it and thought of you.

Pono would be done here. It's my new mantra.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
Oh good, I'm a bad example for someone.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 10:40:26 PM »
I'm sure installing straight into foam would work for a while at least but personally for a long term investment I would use the HD foam to spead the load as they could end up geting loose over time.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:06:31 AM »
I assume I'll throw in a cassette of HD foam as well as the skin. I'd rather not install twice lol. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal