Author Topic: Flat Water Foiling - History Being Made  (Read 12623 times)

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Water Foiling - History Being Made
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
Okay, no, seriously, no. This is a total effort, low return thing no matter how you do it. Those goofy aqua skippers are three times more efficient than what Austin is doing. Dave is all fired up on the promise of this and ignoring the simple fact that this kid, who has spent his life in the water, who is at the peak of his physical condition, can just barely fucking do it. Anyone who sees this as the door opening to a world of foiling everywhere is on crack.

Please don't ruin my dreams......

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 10:07:35 PM »
Okay, no, seriously, no. This is a total effort, low return thing no matter how you do it. Those goofy aqua skippers are three times more efficient than what Austin is doing. Dave is all fired up on the promise of this and ignoring the simple fact that this kid, who has spent his life in the water, who is at the peak of his physical condition, can just barely fucking do it. Anyone who sees this as the door opening to a world of foiling everywhere is on crack.

Crack dreams??

This is like watching a hippopotamus fly and saying "this opens the door for hippopotamuses everywhere...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:15:07 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »
 I would pay good money to watch the first flat water foil racing masters heat.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:37:38 PM by southwesterly »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 06:24:07 AM »

A sport where keeping it up for 18 seconds is a win?  Masters indeed.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 06:28:12 AM »

A sport where keeping it up for 18 seconds is a win?  Masters indeed.

8 seconds like bull riding...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 06:34:05 AM »

Crack dreams??

This is like watching a hippopotamus fly and saying "this opens the door for hippopotamuses everywhere...

This piece is brilliant...I was going to post it yesterday...but, the Aqua Skipper edged it out...;-)

https://youtu.be/hjKd24UCPYY

What happens if you refuse to listen to what "can't be done?" Samsung believes the only way to achieve the impossible is by refusing to accept anything is. #DoWhatYouCant
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

pierreB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 06:38:36 AM »
Maybe with a shorter mast and longer paddle ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQRtgEIs--k

Pierre

Hello by the way (I'm new to this forum)

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 11:10:13 AM »

True story!

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 01:26:17 PM »

Crack dreams??

This piece is brilliant...I was going to post it yesterday...but, the Aqua Skipper edged it out...;-)

https://youtu.be/hjKd24UCPYY

What happens if you refuse to listen to what "can't be done?" Samsung believes the only way to achieve the impossible is by refusing to accept anything is. #DoWhatYouCant

Thanks for the video wardog. I enjoyed all the references to stereotypes and reminders to think outside the box. Sometimes never means that we just haven't seen it yet. That being said I was half expecting him to be blown outta the sky by a trophy hunter! ;-)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »
Instead of trying to make the inefficient foil sup work on flatwater, why not try making the (relatively) efficient aquaskipper work for downwinding?
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
Love the video. Funny though that the example of doing something that can't be done is something that can't be done.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Electric Bicycle Foiling Transport - History Being Made
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 06:43:17 AM »
Went by the Tesla house to test drive the "Foil Bike."  I haven't used my car to surf for >5 years to go surfing and I didn't want to have to start for the foil board.   So here it is. 

I am betting this is the first Foil Bike combination.  They said it couldn't be done.  Like carrying a Christmas tree with the lights on it. 

Largely true but I was pretty motivated and the solution was quick and elegant.  Looking at it you might think "Well that was obvious!"

The less obvious part at the 1" extensions I added to the rack to keep the board away from the handle bars.  I also added a 'hanger' off the seat to suspend the foil, keeping it elevated off the rear fender.  The weight of the foil otherwise swings the board counterclockwise, from behind, into the handle bars and onto the rear tire.  The hanger was the re-purposed cuff of an old ankle leash. 

PS:  Tesla guys report using the Aqua Skipper.  Said "It sucked"  The problem is that if you don't get a perfect start it sinks and has to be hauled back to shore.  Think a Kite going down full of water.  Not fun.  The foil on the SUP has a much better recovery / neutral mode.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:47:41 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 07:05:27 AM »
I tried an Aqua Skipper. Saying it sucked is an understatement. Not only was it very difficult, it wasn't fun at all. But they are MUCH more efficient, both ergonomically and hydrodynamically than a foil under a SUP board.

My naysaying in all this has to be just the whining of a guy who knows he will never be able to do this to any degree. Talk about hippopotamuses flying! I am, however, signed up to be dragged around by a boat when Alex Aguera and Dave Kalama come to town for the Gorge Paddle Challenge. If you're from around here, or you're going to be here for the race and would like to be humiliated (or who knows--you might do great) get in touch with TJ at Big Winds. He might hear that I've put this out into the wild and shoot me for it, but I think it's a "more the merrier" deal.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 07:13:22 PM »
More flatwater foiling.  This perspective shows how necessary straps may be for takeoff.

Again:  I do not anticipate being able to take off from flat water.  BUT this means that taking off on a feathering outside set that is otherwise UNCATCHABLE may now be catchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr1IE7yK4_U

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 02:31:51 AM »
100% you need straps, your back foot just ends up jumping round all over the place

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal